John Williams

Rereading Stoner for the first time. Some questions have arisen in the process

What is Edith's mental illness? Did Williams write her with a particular mental illness in mind or just "hysteria?"
Are Lomax and Walker gay?
Is the fact that Lomax gets drunk at Stoner's house the real reason he hates him and puts him in a confrontational position?

Also, has anyone else read Augustus or Butcher's Crossing? I really enjoyed Augustus but I like historical fiction like that. Thinking about ordering Butcher's Crossing to finish off his (acknowledged) bibliography.

Other urls found in this thread:

bibliographing.com/2012/08/30/but-bad-as-we-are-were-better-than-those-on-the-outside-in-the-muck-the-poor-bastards-of-the-world/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Women can't understand this book. They're too simple-minded

I'm pretty sure she's just a spoiled cunt.

My opinions:

>bipolar
>no
>yes
>maybe

i was under the impression that walker was lomax's clone and that's why they shared the same traits and deformity and why lomax was so invested in his success

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

What about this quote from page 172
"Finally Finch said, 'I wonder what it is between him and Walker.' Stoner shook his head. 'It isn't what you're thinking,' he said. 'I don't know what it is. I don't believe I want to know.' "

Go back to /pol/

She was diddled by her father.

All this showed was that Lomax was likely bought.

It seems to fit. Can you support it with anything other than her behavior after the father's death?

Getting bought off makes sense too. No real evidence either way other than that quote from 172 that I can think of.

Edith's clinically depressed, don't know if he had a particular mental illness in

No

Don't think so, Lomax was a nice enough guy until the whole Walker thing.

Ditto.

She probably suffered from post-partum depression or something. The shit really hit the fan after Grace was born.

She had bouts of hysteria followed by extended illness prior to the pregnancy though. That's why I think she was bipolar, though Williams may or not have had that in mind when he wrote the book. I'm not sure when bipolar disorder was identified as a disorder.

Shit book :^)
Seriously though.

>What is Edith's mental illness? Did Williams write her with a particular mental illness in mind or just "hysteria?"

She's just your aveage woman

>Are Lomax and Walker gay?

Yes, with a furry fetish

>Is the fact that Lomax gets drunk at Stoner's house the real reason he hates him and puts him in a confrontational position?

No he is mad that Stoner has a gf and that he can't slam that twink boipucci of his

You should've written Stoner instead.

Edith's just an average woman, they just get really fucking hysterical sometimes

I'm guessing neither of you have had a girlfriend if you really think that this is how an "average" woman behaves.

Holy shit.

She was molested by her father throughout her childhood you ignorant, illiterate fucks.

Elaborate pls

You don't deserve to read.

Back to /pol/

headcanon

I don't think he was literally a clone, but Lomax saw himself in Walter, took him as a protege, and wanted Walter to succeed because Lomax wanted himself to succeed

Which would be fine if Walter wasn't just an autistic pseud who, if put into a position of authority, would bring down the standards of the institution

This happens all the time (or so i have been lead to believe)

And she was raped by the oppressive patriarch Stoner who was clearly malevolent and could only view women as objects to satisfy his fragile male ego buzzwords buzzwords gender studies

really? how did i miss this

are you projection this from your own childhood? because I never suspected anything like that when I read it

edith has hysteria, depression, what nowadays is sometimes called neurosis

>Lomax
I think Lomax genuinely thinks he discriminated against the arrogant student for being disabled. Remember that Lomax is disfugured himself so this has likely shaped his world view. We only get one side of the story, but it seems Lomax is relatively normal and yet holds a grudge for 20 years. Also I think Lomax is a representation of the kind of hardships that people face, unrelenting stubborn irrational.

>Rereading Stoner

Mmmm... that sounds comfy. I think I'll do that.

Lomax is the outside world David Masters mentions. He sees himself in Walker, that's why he protects him

bibliographing.com/2012/08/30/but-bad-as-we-are-were-better-than-those-on-the-outside-in-the-muck-the-poor-bastards-of-the-world/

what he's thinking is that they're gay
the actual relationship is far more perverse
someone post the stoner thread pasta