Why have humans evolved to find animals with lower food chain positions to be "cute" (meant for protection) if we are...

Why have humans evolved to find animals with lower food chain positions to be "cute" (meant for protection) if we are omnivorous predators?

Could it be a natural feature that helps the ecosystem remain in equilibrium, which would otherwise collapse because of our tremendous superiority?

>Fuk off
>cuteness is defined by the features of our own young
>Young mammals have similar features (for example large eyes), usually cute things are young mammals
>This instinct helps us survive, because it lets us take care of those in need of care
>>pol

"lower food chain positions"
lel brainlet

We don't find young animals cute... only certain young mammals.

Domestication and animal husbandry probably plays a role too.

Name one fucking young mamal that isnt fucking cute

>But yh I aggree with u

Define "baby". Newborn mice are disgusting.

Resemblance to human offspring is "cute", with some added caveats like furry things being appealing for not good reason. Also, non-human children don't scream and cry and shit themselves and be little assholes so it's easy to like them more.

Perhaps because we're not predators, we're cultivators. We form symbiotic relationships with other animals, raising them sometimes from infants to be food species, pest control, companions, protectors, or even hunting aids, though for the reasons I just gave, this last one is relatively rare for a species that consumes as much meat as we do.

we find them cute because they have many similarities with human babies

All young animals are cute.
Except humans.

that cat in the middle is way to comfy desu.

You just answered your own question buddy congrats

I find most young animals cute. Even the ones I eat

Human babies are pink and gross as well.

Because the little ones aren't ready for eating.

Bats.

This line of thought pleases me. However, I do think humans are varying levels of both predator and cultivator. One of human's main predator advantage (considering we're slow and weak as fuck) is our ability to cooperate which comes from a huge chunk of mechanisms in our brains that allows us to form attractions to certain creatures which brings up what this poster said:

Definitely things being cute attracts us to these creatures. Our attraction leads to bonds, and our bonds leads us to a huge piece of the puzzle that is our survival strategy.

this
human kids are obnoxious

Becuase dood cant you see how vunerable and small they are soo cooot. If i was hungry i would cook those 3 little fuckers and make some chicken teriyaki out of them.

Awwwwww!

>Why have humans evolved to find animals with lower food chain positions to be "cute" (meant for protection) if we are omnivorous predators?

we didn't...

humans use selective breeding on crops and pets to maximize traits that humans want in such species.

"Cuteness" is typically caused by larger, more expressive eyes, and so "pets" with those traits were more likely to gain surplus food from humans, thus increasing their likelihood of breeding.

We didn't evolve to find them cute...

We evolved THEM to BE cute.

ITT The Left Hand Discovers The Purpose Of The Right

grammar as good as your ability to link across boards

noice

pigeons

postan cute mammals

I think it is smaller mammals remind us of human babies which we are kind of hard wired to want to take care of or humankind would have died out a long time ago.

>tadpoles
>not cute

Then why are animals that weren't domesticated cute?

>Then why are animals that weren't domesticated cute?

because we spared the ancestors of theirs that weren't hideous.

eating babies is inefficient is why

Some people want to "hug to death" or crush, strangle cute things though. That's weird too.

>only certain young mammals

Chink chonks should go to war with the middle east and Russia. Don't forget to invite Africa and South America, too. Meanwhile us normal sociable human beings can work on civilization unhinged by anyone.

>if we are omnivorous predators?
But that's wrong, you faggot.

Someone did a predatory index. From 1 to 5, 1 being weak and 5 being top predator, humans are about a 3.2. A bear is a 4.5, a great white a 5, etc. The only reason we dominate is because of our brains, and we can use tools to give us a boost. If you were to be put in the woods, you'd problee die though.

first of things that remind us of babies seem "cute".
Also, cats and dogs were useful: cats hunted down mice that ate our cereals. The ones who where deemed "cutest" by the household retarded 10 y/o girl were given preferential treatment and possibly had better health so they hunted better so they reproduced more.
Also toxoplasmosis. That shit makes rats let themselves be killed by cats I guess it fucks our brain to find them cute too.

that sounds pretty subjective and bullshitty. Care to share? Wanna see how the author classified predators.
Because if it's for hunting effectiveness, a human with a javelin can give a bear a run for his money in terms of % success.
>inb4 the study had americans with no idea how to hunt, track or throw a javelin do some bullshit test to determine that modern day sedentary humans are shit at hunting
no shit sherlock.

>we
I love how undergrads believe to belong to one big family where everyone is nice

Because they share common traits with our children, like proportionally big eyes and clumsy behavior.

platypii

>a human with a javelin can give a bear a run for his money
That's exactly what the other user wrote:
>The only reason we dominate is because of our brains

Most likely that study is comparing physiological properties (claws/teeth, size, strength of grip, speed, etc) of the average individual, and is obviously not considering the feats of the entire human society. that exercise would be trivial and useless.

Neoteny

The real question is: Why are those furry little shits cuter than human babies? Personally I find human babies pretty disgusting. The head is just too big, it shits itself and is too fucking stupid on the first year.

I'd rate kittens 8/10, and human babies 5/10.

Those are pretty cute IMO

bump

>mammals

So cute.

Quivering
Deer
Pussy