DIFF EQS General - /DEG/ - FTW Edition

Veeky Forums, care to recommend any top-tier books for a complete understanding of ODEs? Did fairly well in the course, but I want a 100% understanding - I feel like it's a mathematical milestone to know this stuff.

Also, any upper-echelon maths anons feel free to reflect on your ODEs experience, and what they mean to you now. Any newfags feel free to ask questions and speculate.

Other urls found in this thread:

maa.org/press/maa-reviews/applied-differential-equations
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How do you feel about nonlinear DEs? How about y'' + (y')^2 = 2

RETarded

If you want more theory and rigor in ODE then you'd probably need real analysis under your belt, in that case probably pick up a book by AMS. Nevertheless the books by Haberman, and Lebl are good books on the subject.

ODE are fun but PDE are a little more common in physical applications I'd argue. PDE is definitely the way to go. I recommend Asmar, Debnath, or Hillen for PDE. Probably Hillen honestly. Debnath or Logan for science and engineering applications.

Don't let any of the retards here meme you into reading Evans or Strauss for PDE.

Vladimir Arnold's ODE book is a good choice.

Got a few general questions... how important are ODE/ PDEs for a math major? For ODEs at least, I'm not sure if I should see them as the last of the weed-out classes or the beginning of the REAL math classes. I've always heard repeatedly that ODEs were "really, really important for engineering majors" for the obvious applications. Never that they were important for math majors.

Anybody with experience care to comment?

It depends what math you're doing, and if you're planning on industry or academia.

what's wrong with strauss?

Applied Differential Equations - Vladimir Dobrushkin

I've heard Dobrushkin's "Applied Differential Equations" was good, but since it's not on LibGen I think it's just a meme.

Not him but strauss skips so many steps and has very little solutions, i personally went through a different pde book by Olver which made me get an A in the class without having to open up that shitty book strauss made.

Olver doesnt skip any steps and has the solutions posted online

Strauss is complete shit and schools should start using Olver's

ODE's by Dover, author tellenbaum

>I've heard Dobrushkin's "Applied Differential Equations" was good, but since it's not on LibGen I think it's just a meme.

maa.org/press/maa-reviews/applied-differential-equations

There's also a good preview on Amazon.

Its just like calc/analysis. Theres babby ODE and actual ODE. Poincare bendixson and shit

Suppose we have a smooth ODE defined on an open set [math]U \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n[/math]. Let [math]\gamma \colon I \to U[/math] be a MAXIMAL solution. If [math]\gamma(I)[/math] has a compact closure inside [math]U[/math], then [math]I = \mathbb{R}[/math].

Is this true and if yes, how do you prove this?

where's the pdf? Lot's of good ODE/PDE books on LibGen, and Dobrushkin isn't one of them.

Where's the link to dl the book? All the other good diffy Q books are dl'able.

Stop parroting meme books that aren't available.

Samefagging LibGen Internet Defense Force shill. By that logic, every single shitty McGraw-Hill and Pearson Hall cashgrab textbook is amazing. Stop trying to pirate other people's hard work and get a job you insufferable faggot.

OP here. You're talking Greek bruh.

BTW I'm using "A First Course..." 10E by Zill. How fucked am I?

fpbp

>DE general
>just ODEs at that
i want engineers to leave