Is MATLAB worth learning for a job?

Is MATLAB worth learning for a job?

Other urls found in this thread:

mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/5065-generate-3d-shapes
mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/rectangle.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Whoever's buying a MATLAB license won't have the money to pay you your salary, so no.

If you're in college matlab is pretty useful. If you need it in a working enviroment just get Octave.

So is Octave used more in the working environment?

From my experience yes, It's free and it's compatible with matlab (even uses similar commands) so it makes sense.

It would make sense.
However, most job listings I've seen for Octave also have MATLAB.

So, is it better to learn them both?

Matlab/ Octave is pretty good because it's matrix oriented so you can throw together some pretty complicated numerical simulations relatively easily.

So its good to learn both?

How the fuck do you make geometries like cones and shit in matlab using linear algebra and matrices?

mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/5065-generate-3d-shapes
mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/rectangle.html

a cone is all vectors which scalar product with center of cone vector >= scalar between 0 and 1

the closer to 1 the thinner the cone. at exactly 1 just a line, at 0 would be entire half plane in the same direction as the vector.

Octave is designed to be compatible with matlab, matlab has more and proprietary toolboxes you can buy and support. You can start out learning using Octave or a student version of Matlab. A commercial license is like 2000 euros, so probably not worth it as long as you are just fiddling on your own.

sorry need to be euclidian normalized vectors for that to work.

Only if the job explicitly requires it.

You should know at least one computer language. Start with say, Python, move on to something like Java or C++, learn something more domain specific like MATLAB or R or Fortran if you need to for a certain application.

It can be fruitful for anything algorithm design oriented in signal processing. But that does not guarantee all employers use it, of course.

There is another langage, called Scilab, which is also matrix oriented, fully free.
Pretty easy too.

Sensor engineers use it

No lol. If your company can't afford MATLAB, they can't afford to pay you a decent salary.

There is another language, called Linear Algebra, which is also matrix oriented, fully free.
Pretty easy too.

what job?

im a fucking master at matlab and I have no idea where people find fucking jobs for it.

As I wrote above, where I work there are sensor engineers that use it daily.

Why not be able to afford matlab but use octave?