So who is the best of, or the best example of the tortured genius artist/writer...

So who is the best of, or the best example of the tortured genius artist/writer? It seems to me like the best end up just being chads, but feel free to prove me wrong.

Brian Wilson

nietzsche, obviously

Elliot Rodger

Eliott Smith, but your sentiments are founded because being a tortured artist is overrated and a stereotype. People who are creative but have personal troubles like to draw a correlation between the two.

Doobie Foobie Woobie

all of Nick Drake's songs are about
>tfw no gf

>Eliott Smith
>the best example

fuckin
Y I K E S

suck off dude .

DFW, he killed himself

Frida Kahlo.

hart crane

he jumped off of a boat because a sailor wouldn't fuck him

rimbaud is also an acceptable answer

How has no one posted Kafka yet? He's overrated but he was fairly tortured

Definitely Artaud. The dude had it rough.

why

>genius

oh come on. not close.

Gérard de Nerval is the perfect example, most of his writings as he got older were in a somewhat insane state at times, like in a trance, and he ended up killing himself by hanging.

bingo

Van Gogh

How about a writer that was literally tortured? Maximus the Confessor was tortured, had his writing hand and tongue cut off, and died in prison.

Machiavelli

Bukowski

romanticism
guys like lermontov and puškin who were actually prosecuted and rejected by society, banished to a God-forsaken shithole while seeing no purpose in a life full of stupidity and shallowness beat postmodern whiny fags who think having jeans and weird hair makes them misunderstood outcast rebels every day

Uliliiliia

H.P. Lovecraft

Alberto Laiseca

Isn't he getting a little better? Last time I checked him out it seemed like he didn't seem as brittle as he used to.

i don't think Laiseca was that much of a tortured soul
also matando enanos a garrotazos is excellent

Mishima - Pitting his ubermensch qualities against his patriotism and physical/homosexual insecurity.
DFW - tortured by the pills and expectations of modern life. However, wife and audience pussy drop his rank a fair deal.
Kafka - Turned into a fucking bug.

He had a cute Jewish wife and nice aunts who gave him all the pocket money he needed as well as plenty of friends to hang out with in New York and write letters to after he went back to Providence.
Lovecraft was far from tortured, just painfully awkward.

-Joseph Roth
-Arthur Rimbaud
-Horacio Quiroga
-José Asunción Silva

Leopardi, Nietzsche, Mishima, Pessoa, Michelstaedter

Sure, but you're starting with a big fucking handicap if you can never touch water, sit down, walk on grass, or see your face.

Thomas Bernhard
WG Sebald
Michel Houellebecq

So did Joyce, Woolf, Hemingway, Plath, ect.

Brian Griffin

Joyce didn't.

He was kind of a chad back in the day

Miguel de Cervantes

bukowski was great at describing the normal man

kafka seemed pretty tortured, and hes good

Pessoa died a virgin through booze..

> he blames the pills not DFWs fucked neurodevelopment