Why is the American education system so awful?

Why is the American education system so awful?

It's free

somehow we have almost all the best universities in the world. It's kind of baffling when you look at our high schools, and our more average universities, which are all horrible.

>somehow we have almost all the best universities in the world
Unironically it's because we off such high salaries to foreign researchers. Look at the last Nobel prize in physics, all three were British, all three work at American institutions.

yes, and a large proportion of the students aren't American either

The red pill is that immigrants and not natives are what made America great.

The actual unis are great, it just costs too damn much

Its usually ~10% or below, most flaws with our system is overblown

>we have the best universities because we hire the best people in each field

why do you say it like this is a bad thing to do, or the dirty way to the top, or something?
obviously the best universities are going to hire the best researchers and the best researchers are going to work for the best universities

This. Our educational system is free and thus only gets (under)funded through taxes and gives people no market motivation to become a good teacher (because you can make more money working anywhere but a public school). Garbage truck drivers get paid more than teachers do for their first 20 years of employment in most parts of the United States. The system breeds mediocrity in teachers because they have a median pay equivalent to that of a car factory worker and no opportunity for advancement, and it fucks over students because their teachers (not going to have any social mobility or reward for doing a good job) and parents (don't have to pay + give teachers crap every step of the way despite having know educational knowledge themselves) have no reason to be invested.

We have some of the best colleges in the world because they're far from free and the handful of free slots are fiercely competitive.

>why do you say it like this is a bad thing to do
It's not a bad thing to do, it's completely sensible. But OP asked "why is the American education system so awful?" Having to "buy in" talent like that more underscores the badness of the system.

Here's another red pill. The American education system is working fine. Smart, diligent students are continuing to do well. Any flaws with the system are overblown by those looking to project their own personal failures onto others.

MIT says about 30% of their students are international.

>only gets (under)funded

does throwing more money at schools really fix education?

Privatizing them seems to.

No, according to PISA there's at point where more money doesn't do anything. After that it's more down to culture and curriculum.

privatization is oversimplified, plus opens the door for bs like creationism.

Teachers in America are uninspired to teach kids expansive knowledge. My ap English teacher in my senior year refused to teach class several days throughout the week because 3 people in class were chatty.

Teachers also narrowly focus on things that will appear on state and national standardized tests.

Most western countries have public education systems that do just fine

because education is a business and competition via rankings allows you to charge more money.

teachers unions
niggers
democrats and republicans

As is most of education in the West, yet America under-performs while the rest of us don't. Burgers are just dumb, it can't be helped.

>implying US universities arent the best in the world
Nice try europlebs

jews have control over the department of education.

jewish student loans were given to niggers and now colleges just pass them through with no standards to take their money.

>Implying the good Universities are free
Wow burgers really are that dumb...

you get what you pay for.

I'm a graduate student at an Ivy Plus university. These American universities are good, especially for graduate studies, but half of your students in those programs are foreign. That's no surprise, Americans systematically rank among the weakest in the developed world in international standardized tests.

I'm giving this grade schooler guitar lessons. His dad told me that in Spanish class, they've just been growing a plant.

America's done, get ready for the Chinese takeover.

Wew

Funding has no objective affect on the quality of education. The USA isnt subjectively lean on its educational spending either.

Imo, its a cultural problem. Too many parents put the weight of their child's education on others. As well, the US education system is far more institutionalized than necessary. The school is not there to nurture any sort of quality of life in a students future, its only purpose is to follow state mandates and create high scores on state standardized tests while keeping violence at a minimum.

I had mastered all the math my high school had to offer by 10th grade. I spent the next 2 years doing nothing but basic review. I was not allowed to take college courses and such.

My ability to self-study was limited by the shear amount of bullshit homework, papers, and such that didn't actually teach me anything and were quite trivial, yet so numerous they'd take up all my free time in between school and the extracurricular activities required to get into a half-decent institution.

It's not. It's built in discrimination so that only the best succeed and contributes the social class order. It's a necessity in capitalist democracy.

Because everyone constantly judges each other I would imagine that discrimination would be necessary in any kind of political system.
Although I don't really know your definition of discrimination.