Musical Literature

Hey Veeky Forums
I was curious if you could recommend me non-fiction literature pertaining to music. I tried looking myself, but I was unsatisfied by the results. I didn't really get what I was looking for.
Specifically, I'm looking for primary sources from music theorists, composers, philosophers, and musicians from baroque, classical, and romantic periods (extra points for pre-baroque books) writing about music/music theory. Basically just very important books from history that are about music. Any and all textbooks/librettos/secondary sources/books with complete archives of sheet music from any music period are good as well.
then again really anything is okay as long as the book posits something in relation to music and you'd like to post it
>inb4 back to /mu/
/mu/ is arguably the worst board on this site and doesn't give a shit about this topic.
unless it's a book about grimes or k-pop

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Life-Letters-Penguin-Classics/dp/0141441461
youtube.com/watch?v=6YV0rgHhGn4
youtube.com/watch?v=WbE5sfYhxIk
amazon.com/Treatise-Instrumentation-Dover-Books-Music/dp/0486269035
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

examples
works by wagner
one by him and another containing libretto from one of his operas

Pic related

You can also view the lectures on youtube. It's probably helpful to view them at the very least for the parts where he refers to certain musical phrases and such as he plays them on the piano.

Thanks user
I'm a fan of Ives so this looks pretty interesting
bumping with stockhausen

Ives's mixture of atonality and tonality is genius

medieval religiousy people and clerics and stuff are bound to have written on this sort of thing. this dude i like called boethius wrote quite a bit on it. von bingen's stuff might be up your alley. a shitload of prominent philosophers wrote on music theory tbqh. the kreutzer sonata is also a pretty good book, though fiction. gunna monitor this thread out of interest. im really high sorry fuck

thank you user
Yeah I assumed philosophers would write plenty about it, probably some I'm already aware of
I'm pretty sure adorno talked about music a lot

bumping with adorno

wagner meme book

The letters of Mozart are compiled into a book where he talks about his journeys and composing.
amazon.com/Life-Letters-Penguin-Classics/dp/0141441461
Also many librettos are published as books.

thank you user

Paul Henry Lang, good shit

thanks

yeah this guy does seem to be good shit

any good period books on music theory from the pre-modern era?
baroque? renaissance? medieval?

That's what I started this thread in mind for. I couldn't really think of any other than maybe Wagner and maybe a few Librettos I'm forgetting

bump

The imslp has basically every piece of public domain sheet music. imslp.org/

De Musica - Boethius

youtube.com/watch?v=6YV0rgHhGn4

Berlioz has an autobiogrpahy, someone mentioned he might have missed his true calling as an author, need to get around to reading it.

Just look for actual classical artist autobiographies.

youtube.com/watch?v=WbE5sfYhxIk

have a suss

Read Berlioz's Treatise on Instrumentation
amazon.com/Treatise-Instrumentation-Dover-Books-Music/dp/0486269035
This is the edition I have, and I love it.