If CS is so shit tier why don't you all do one on the side of your existing majors then get 6 figure jobs straight out...

If CS is so shit tier why don't you all do one on the side of your existing majors then get 6 figure jobs straight out of college instead of shitty $50k CAD positions at manufacturing companies in Oklahoma?

CS master race thread for espousing the benefits of being a "code monkey" and "CStard"

>Jobs in every city
>High paying jobs
>Highest paying jobs in highly desirable cities
>Lots of specializations, can switch in and out of them at a whim if you learn a new skill on the side
>Fun if you enjoy it
>As much or as little social interaction as you desire
>Lots of money

Computer science is the most versatile field in engineering. People hate on Veeky Forums hate it so much they'll go as far as to say it's not an engineering major, it's a science or arts Major. CS is truly master race, employability is extremely high, there are a lot of cases where students land code monkey jobs while still in college, so the opportunity is higher like no other.

I wanted to be a mathematician. Ended up doing a combined Math/CS degree.

Decided I was too mentally ill to ever make it under the stress of academia (probably too much of a brainlet to be a mathematician anyway). Fucked up the one undergrad research position I earned, and too much of an autist to get references from profs (so no grad school).

So I guess I'm a programmer now...

The web and app bubble is showing signs of weakness and getting ready to pop. The entire software development field is propped up on the backs of industry "unicorns" that are losing billions of dollars a year. Uber, Snapchat, Twitter and the like are all about to go belly-up.

These aren't viable businesses because at the end of the day you're still just helping hipsters broadcast pictures of their laté.

You have no idea what you're talking about, sorry

"The entire software development field" largely has nothing to do with apps, as people outside of it seem to think

Uber, Snapchat, and Twitter can disappear right now and it wouldn't affect 99% of software engineers.

on a related note is it true that CE is shit tier?
im starting to think i should go for cyber security or maybe say fuck it and get into robotics related degrees

i just want a cool computer/robotics related degree that will make me lots of money and im pretty sure i'd be good at any of them as long as im committed

It's just envy.

CE (if you mean Computer Engineering) is not shit tier, in some aspects it's a higher quality, harder major than CS. But the jobs typically geared towards CE majors do pay less than the jobs typically geared towards CS majors. But there is overlap

What do you prefer? Writing drivers in C and assembly to directly control hardware by using memory mapped IO to directly control behavior and interact with low level protocols? Because that is CE

Otherwise CS is mainly high level algorithms and data structures, theoretical CS based stuff which is largely "useless" but important to know for performance reasons. And you can still do CE stuff like take extra embedded systems classes

It's about what you want to do, but mostly CE is equivalent to CS but some shit companies might discriminate against you. You'll have to study algorithms and data structures more

tl;dr

Computer Science (CS) is the typical degree to become a software engineer. But the highest paid software engineers have strong algorithms and data structures knowledge, and low level programming based knowledge. Computer Engineering (CE) is low level knowledge primarily with less data structures and algorithms. It's more specialized.

So either
>Take CS and take extra low level (as in C and assembly not "low=intro") CE programming classes
>Take CE and take extra data structures and algorithms classes to make sure you know CS fundamentals

It's up to your personal interests

In both cases, study for traditional computer science data structures and algorithms whiteboard coding challenges if you want to get a good job in the end

so would it be better to take either EE or CS instead of CS?

im interested in both programming as well as actually working with computer hardware but desu i don't really know shit about either except i disassembled a few computers a few times and im more tech savvy than most people i know...
but pretty much a talentless NEET atm
i just like computers

>i just want a cool computer/robotics related degree
EE or a mechtronics specialization of ME

CS and CE just let you make Tinder for Hamsters™.

If you aren't writing systems code, your job is about to go in the trash, and that's about 80% of programming jobs out there right now. Also keep in mind that it only takes a few percent of the workforce in a specialized area getting laid off and looking for other work to really fuck up the job markets.

hmm... maybe EE

whatever i do though im pretty sure ill be happy because im fine spending all day looking at computers and ive always been good at math
and im just as interested with mechanical type things like fixing stuff and finding out things work/how they were built

That's not true

And furthermore I guarantee you the backend servers of Tinder are maintained by some high paid engineers who write high performance scalable code. Stop thinking about front-end. Who do you think processes all that data and uses machine learning to come up with good matches? Tinder.

Tell me more about how a CS degree covers control dynamics.

Control Dynamics? I guarantee you it has zero relevance to Tinder's servers except in some abstract way that is more than manageable to CS majors.

>Tinder
>engineers
>high performance
>scalable code
I can't decide which of these is more laughable. Come back when you've written a nonlinear PDE solver in C or fortran that runs on an HPC cluster with thousands of nodes.

>implying that tinder servers run on magic
>implying that creating a very popular very profitable app that hundreds of millions of people use is some small feat and that there aren't engineers and programmers who made it happen

He brought up Tinder I did not. I was merely stating facts. Look it up, Tinder pays entry level engineers $105k-$140k

And nobody gives a fuck about your nonlinear PDE solver in C, how much did you get paid to do that? What do you get paid?

>Industry pays enough propaganda money
>programming is now seen as cool and desirable instead of a nerdy past time activity
>normies rush to become code monkeys
>market is very saturated
>shitty things like web dev die out because of new tools that automate many processes
>millions of unemployed or badly paid programmers
>"b-but why" - normie
>*hand rubbing* - industry man

Even I am studying to do some web dev, but I know I have 5-10 years tops before I have to switch careers.

>Hey guys, I want to work in robotics and automation
>No you don't! Using MacklemoreHaircut.js is way cooler than that!
>You can be a professional Hookup Engineer™ instead
>All you have to do is move on down to asspound land-- err I mean San Francisco!
>It's great here! You can have your very own studio apartment for only $10k a month!

Complete red herring, nobody in this thread has advocated front-end programming at all, in any way

Javascript is fucking shit you tool

It's either that or training your replacement, Pajeet Rajesh, on how to make AbstractBeanFactoryProviders.

You're an idiot, that's just not true at all. There are tons of low level high performance high paying backend jobs. You're a moron

And yet all of them are doing trivial bullshit not related to robotics or automation like the original user was looking for. Protip: I'm a mechanical engineer doing research in your field because it's so god damn trivial. At the end of the day you don't have any relevant skills that aren't related to mobile apps or web development in some way.

Thanks for the chuckles, but I'm going to bed now.

I don't work in mobile apps or web development, all I know is basic PHP which I haven't used for years, and there are many programmers like this. Most programmers aren't front-end. I don't touch front-end programming at all. You're either completely ignorant or trolling

Reminder that 100k in San Fanshitsco is equal to about 37k in an average shitty based on cost of living. What is CS salary like if not bolstered by the "high" wages in the shittiest state?

I'm doing mechanical engineering but learning programming on the side by myself. We were taught Java in high school so I decided to take it further and am learning Android programming now.

Any other advice anyone can give me?

Programming something like Tinder seems like a fucking joke; it was the idea and the execution that made it successful not the fact that it was difficult to develop.

Anyways I'll never forget what Veeky Forums taught me and it's that Comp Sci is not worth pursuing as an undergraduate degree. If you want to go code shit then just go to a trade school for 2 years to save time if you want to do research get an undergraduate in mathematics instead.

But that's exactly what I'm doing.

CS grads will be the only employed people in 20 years once the robots take over every other job and everyones in VR welfare orgies.

>These aren't viable businesses because at the end of the day you're still just helping hipsters broadcast pictures of their laté.

you really have no idea how people make social media careers, do you?

which is why you'll always be a skid

Why don't you try connecting to 85% of websites and checking the HTTP traffic using your browsers dev tools.

Chances are it will be communicating with jewgle, twitter, facebook, etc...

Is it possible to work in cyber-security with a Theoretical Computer Science degree?

I'm currently on my first year and I want to learn hacky stuff but I don't know if that will help me land a job or should I go for some other fields...

EE phd student here no way i get automated

>get 6 figure jobs straight out of college
These don't exist. For anyone, anywhere.

Pls respond bump

The problem is that Veeky Forums is entirely made up of state uni students. They picked math there to satisfy their egos but they'll never be good mathematicians.

State unis naturally offer shit degrees and especially CS is bad in those, so they think everyone else is also going to a shitty uni.

There are many people who get 100k+ straight out of top US colleges in CS or engineering. Especially masters or phd, but also these jobs are probably only in california. 100k in san fran is like 40k in an average US city due to cost of living

Absolutely. I'm in math and work in cyber security while studying. You just need to know a bit of assembly, OS internals and networking all of which you learn in CS. It's not nearly as inaccessible as people think it is.

They do. Standard Google offer is 105-115k minimum base salary. And then there's your bonus/vested stock, etc which bring it up to like 150-200k.

Microsoft/Facebook pay eve more initially than Google, too.

Hell, I've made more than 100k on an internship before, as did thousands and thousands of others. (~125k total if it were annualized over the year), so 100k for a full-time job for a graduate is very, very reasonable.

They don't exist for everyone. Not everyone is good enough to get them, but they do exist for a substantial minority of students, as they companies hire a fucktonne of SEs every year.

100k is 40k? I live by myself (so I could save more if I had roommates) and I only pay 20k/yr on rent. Food is easily (I don't pay attention it's so insignificant)

If business is so shit tier why don't you all do one on the side of your existing majors then get 9 figure jobs straight out of college

learn how to program microcontrollers in C

Just used a CoL calculator and maybe it just measures houses or something. Do you live in the actual city or on the outskirts or anything? A lot of CS jobs still in these expensive cities though

>If CS is so shit tier why don't you all do one on the side of your existing majors

Because CS [math] is ~ so ~ shitty [/math] that the classes are hardly worth your time and tuition money. You can self study the material in a fraction of the time and achieve far great depth in doing so since you're not being held back by the manchildren. You know the faggots that are constantly interrupt class with "why are we learning this, just give me muh degree so I can get muh 100K starting copying and pasting from stack overflow".

>Uber, Snapchat, Twitter and the like
Literally irrelevant. Most programs are written to be used by end users.

>fresh blood arrived at company, just got a compsci degree
>his daily "work" consists of driving to a contractor, read some error messages that are shown on a computer screen and forward them to someone else
>this has to be done on site
>company contract was made to last for more than a year

I live in the bay area right near Google, Facebook, etc.

Most tech jobs aren't in San Francisco itself, but in the area a bit south of it. At the very least Apple, Facebook and Google are all in the area between SF and San Jose. I don't know how much rent is up in SF itself, but that's not really relevant since you'd have an insane commute to most companies if you lived there.

But yeah, actually buying a house is pretty out of reach compared to other cities. My plan is to just rent here until I retire then buy a house somewhere else. Buying a house is pretty out of reach in a lot of cities though.

android programming is a bunch of shit

learn a real language like Lisp, Scheme, C or C++

>Jobs in every city
No it's still location dependent. They are very rare here. They're usually found in larger and wealthier cities where lots of whites and asians are.

*latte

>undergrad EE/CEfags having any clue about the state of their own field

Semiconductors, the only field where compensation even comes close to CS jobs, is being Pajeeted more and more every day, at least 50% of Intel's mid-level management is composed of Rajeshes from Bangalore Institute of Technology. Not to mention that there's an unwritten minimum requirement of an MSEE to even enter the industry in a non-bitchmode capacity, and entire design teams are getting laid off as the slow roll of the Wall Street-driven M&A ball rolls through the industry. Still wanna work for Bintel? Oh sorry, they filled that verification engineer position already with Rajesh's cousin from Mumbai.

Power/utilities? Hope you enjoy being "designated PE-licensed signoff guy" and babysitting meth-head contractors. For sub-$100k.

Consumer electronics design? Don't make me laugh. Your "hardcore phoosics-heavy degree," all just to design vibrators for $60k/year. Good luck paying for your student loans!

In fact, the only field I can think of in EE that doesn't have a garbage outlook is "le IoT maymay." Congratulations! You're basically doing the exact same work as CS majors. Except in a subset with higher labor market competition, as already-employed EEs realize where the industry is headed and start to move into IoT vibrator software writing.

Why would I waste my glucose stores learning CS when I can just study finance and invest on the side?

>helping developing countries develop is bad
If you are losing your job to "immigrants" then you suck at it. Period.

>If you are losing your job to "immigrants" then you suck at it. Period.
Are you honestly so retarded you think companies are bringing over H1Bs en masse because they're more skilled than their white counterparts? Work in a tech field for 3 weeks and you will realize that pajeets are barely functional at their jobs on a good day.
Companies bring in third worlders because they'll gladly accept crap pay under BS conditions since it's still way fucking better than staying in India.

If you start with a shitty meme language like Java, you'll get blindsided by its easy and forgiving nature and become a weak coder that relies too much on semantics and language specific gimmicks to achieve something. And a few weeks once you stop coding, you'll forget it all.

If you want to self learn a language, learn C first. Learning C doesn't just teach you the language itself, but it teaches you architecture and how things actually work at the machine level regardless of what language you use. Other languages like Java and Python are literally implemented in C, so does virtually every compiler, interpreter, operating system, so on.

Once you make sense of how C is compiled into machine specific assembly language, how the processor actually executes those instructions at the circuit level, and how the circuits actually move fucking electrons around to perform those calculations, then that's pretty much a world shattering epiphany of a learning experience that you'll never forget about.

Then you move onto C++, which is C with high level language meme constructs tacked on. So then you understand the object oriented programming model and its associated memory management model (constructors, destructors). Once you understand that, then you can see right through how Python and Java actually work to make sure its users never have to give a fuck about memory. And why as a result, they're so fucking slow as languages, and why the people who code exclusively in those languages are fucking stupid.

Then you move onto functional programming, etc, and whatever meme autism that exists out there these days.

>Semiconductors, the only field where compensation even comes close to CS jobs, is being Pajeeted more and more every day
>Implying CS jobs aren't pajeeted
>Implying every STEM job market isn't pajeeted

> defense

fuck you

learn Lisp don't get M E E M E D

Wow dude I wonder who I would listen too after reading both arguments. HMMMM

Shut up retard; some problems are facilitated better by languages that support abstraction, because sometimes you don't necessarily care about the machine level. You sound like a shit-dick baby programmer, and your mindless rants make me want to vomit.

Did I just trigger a CS major who only knows Javascript? Oops. Sorry not sorry :^)

Look at how insecure this guy is , then make up your mind.

Meant to link to