Can animals experience suicidal tendencies?

Can animals experience suicidal tendencies?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dzymKGoHtTA
youtube.com/watch?v=DI3u7g8PPEA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_of_despair
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2095904/Bears-held-harvest-bile-going-hunger-strikes-way-escape-captivity.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dolphins can choose to stop breathing an hero

Before someone mentions the fucking lemmings, there was literally ONE recorded instance of them throwing themselves off a cliff and the whole event was completely staged by the production team of the movie, from flying the things to a specific location, through using a completely wrong sub-species (which doesn't migrate through water), faking the migration shots with a snow covered turntable, to actually herding the animals to the edge on purpose.

Geese sometimes throw themselves in front of cars.

other birds are known to do this

Chameleons repeatedly jump from high places if they feel sad until they die. That's what my friend who owns chameleons tells me and why he advises against them as beginning pets.

What are the motives? Lack of mates? Even then that seems odd.

Definitely. When I was a kid my family had a Shepherd and he kept throwing himself from a window on the second floor though he never succeeded until he tried the attic.

There is a wild pig I don't remember the exact name but it will let its tusk grow through its own head.

You're thinking about the babirusa, but in no way does that pig 'let its tusk grow through its own head'.
youtube.com/watch?v=dzymKGoHtTA

>Penguin.webm
Only newfags won't get it

You're retarded, that thing is posted all the time in all boards.

no i think they just dont what theyre doing..

like that werner herzog penguin walking to the middle of bum fuck nowhere, obviously we know it will die because theres nothing there, we know that from the camera shot, how does the penguin know? does it have a high shot of its surroundings like we do? no. sure, animals are mostly in tune with their surroundings, but they dont have the mental capacity to comprehend human things like suicide imo, reckless behaviour leading to their death can stem from a bunch of animal/natural issues does not mean they think "oh, i have to kill myself"

i think whales who beach themselves have some sort of brain fart, maybe they follow a leader too? some sort of emergent phenomena

just my opinion, would like understand this but how do we do that if we cant exactly talk to animals, we only can deduce meaning from their actions and behavior alone and when we do that we're have an unconscious bias and paint our human emotions on them in order to try to explain and make sense of it all

Never seen it in four years of image board autism.

>4 years
I'm almost equal to you, but either you don't go to the popular boards or you just don't read the posts or you're from yurop and never see it or something.

Not sure if I should spoonfeed or not.
Pic not related of course

>4 years
>not a newfag

Yee I know I know but you gotta be a mothefuckin' baby to not know it.

And to the other user, this guy mentioned it>like that werner herzog penguin walking to the middle of bum fuck nowhere

I knew a dog that was so smart he was mad he was a dog. He ran in front of a car one night after running away.

I had a Green Cheek Conure drown itself after it's mate passed away. I raise birds and have watched a large variety of weird as shit behaviours, AMA.

not that guy, but post it you fucks

PLEASE

Just don't kill yourself, if you're a real Veeky Forumsence user, at least you're smarter than average so no rope m'kay?

>youtube.com/watch?v=DI3u7g8PPEA

Killer whales in captivity go mad and either kill someone or kill themselves, by ramming their head against a wall repeatedly or drowning itself. They are social creatures and would be immensely lonely. Even if a mate is introduced its not enough, as one will likely try kill the other. They also swim huge distances each day and are then confined to an aquarium.

Don't know that you would call it the same thing, but self-sacrificial tendencies are present in many animals.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_of_despair

Ehh, I think you guys hyped it up too much. Was expecting worse. Thanks, still

Yes

Well, they shouldn't have killed if they didn't want to be confined.

It seems so, maybe it's a biological imperative. Perhaps something to do with not wasting resources if failure in something integral is pretty much predetermined. Not a conscious decision of course but I desire that pops up based on certain circumstances.

Squirrels that react to an oncoming car by zig-zagging in front of it instead of doing what would make sense and dashing straight to the nearest tree sure SEEM suicidal. Ditto deer that leap in front of oncoming cars.

It literally took a crane to get it out.

The Australian gympie-gympie is a shrub whose toxin is so painful that it has been claimed to drive humans and animals to suicide.

Ive noticed more and more deer stopping when cars come like a person would lately.

Really? Where do you live?

NCian here, what I've noticed is more people learning to slow the fuck down and go on high alert when driving along stretches of neighborhood streets where deer frequently do their jump-at-a-body shtick.

Humans are known to sacrifice themselves in favor of their loved ones.

Sadly there are instances usually in relation to some form of abuse like animal testing and zoos/circus.

I enjoyed this.

>some form of abuse like animal testing and zoos/circus.

Yes, but probably not intentionally
idk man

Bile bears routinely starve themselves to death or kill themselves by smashing their head against their cage. There was one case of a bear killing herself by ramming her head against a wall repeatedly after breaking free and killing her cub when her cub was being catheterised.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2095904/Bears-held-harvest-bile-going-hunger-strikes-way-escape-captivity.html

literally kill all chinks when

There are some mammals that will outcast themselves which they know is certain death

Not sure if true but i heard a story of a dolphin who killed himself after his trainer was arrested for beastiality

>mfw reading that this shit is common to forest in north east australia

Do people use full bodysuits to move in those places or what, 'cause it seems insane

Philippine Tarsiers are known to kill themselves in captivity

All these unique, knowledgeable replies.

Cats tend to end up in front of my car when I drive.

no one lives in northeast Australia, not even aborigines