College/University or Career Path Advice Thread

Because fuck the mods. Suck my dick.

What's the single best piece of advice for someone about to start a PhD?

"Don't take advice from a Veeky Forums thread."

What's better: going to a super expensive undergrad college (Swarthmore, Dartmouth, Duke) or an affordable college like State Uni?

My friend's an upcoming junior and is pretty poor... also hear he wont be getting a lot of financial aid because he doesnt meet the income requirements despite his many siblings.. also I think he said before he wanted to go into academia

Tell to apply to as many scholarships as possible. I attended a scholarship ceramony, and this kid got like 450k from scholarships.

I have suffered from an arm/hand injury on both of my arms making me unable to use a pen/mouse/keyboard etc for long periods of time. Should I give up on university? I'm a first year student and failing hard because of my illness.

/thread

You should go to access services or whatever it is. It's not a good idea to not tell anyone you have an illness which prohibits you from doing well. If you can get a doctor note for it, any university in a 1st world country will help you.

Fuck Uni.

Find a master at what you want to do and be his/her apprentice.

Great way to meet people with affinity to you (and therefore sex and whatnot).

Cheers.

Some careers are still necessary due to guvhermnet, so take it as it is.

Well I went to a state uni, graduated completely debt free, and now I'm at MIT for grad (also free). I think expensive undergrad is a bit of a scam tbqh.

Tried this, the nanny state didn't approve of my attempted heart surgery.

I have. I am questioning whether to drop out or not since it's been over a year. If it won't get better then there's no point in trying to study if I can't, right?

I fucked up my degree LMAO

>can't study
Why can't you study? What is your degree? How do you study?

Trying to get a physics bachelors degree. I have 0 experience in math or physics since secondary school and I don't really know what to do in terms of studying for what I am supposed to do I guess. I can't even take an exam or write down math problems. The point is I don't study and just smoke weed all day and watch cartoons because anything else is too painful.

Why are you laughing

This is a good path, but it too is not the one and only path.

Millennials cope with their abundant failures through lazy self-deprecation.

Well thats no good

Here's some sage advice:

DO NOT under ANY circumstances go to the university in OP's pic related. You WILL regret it.

I was pretty excited when I got into OP pic, and then I saw that even upper level classes have 100+ seats. How the actual fuck? Needless to say, I turned 360 degrees and moon walked away to a better university.

No really, I'm gonna transfer from CC in like a year here. I have a decent chance of getting into some very reputable schools (because of a program I'm in), but chances I'm getting any decent financial aid are very low. And then when I look at the faculty of schools like Stanford, Berkely, UCLA, and some of the lower tier Ivies, like half of the professors have bachelor's degrees from these random fucking state schools and didn't go anywhere famous until grad school.

What exactly is the point of going to a super prestigious school right away unless you want to be a professor at Harvard?

I would ditch the smoking. But if it will help you concentrate on studying, you can keep doing it.

What I would advise to do is to read. A lot of physics an math is centred around knowledge rather than writing capabilities (cf. Hawkings). Work on improving your mental capabilities by reading profusely and making sure that you understand what you are reading. This should not take too much motor skills. You can also listen to lectures on Youtube or whatever.

As for problems, the university might allow a scribe for some courses, but overall you really need to be able to take examinations some how. I am not sure what the university prescribes for this situation, but it might be helpful to practice mental math whenever you can (just take your time, you improve over time!!) as well as develop a shorthand for math (most math is shorthand after all).

Can you elabourate on your illness?

If I could go back in time. Fuck science, fuck math. Go into corporate. Make your money.

Become a philanthropist later.

fuck you nigger I was being ironic
and I didn't fuck it up that bad
you're gonna die before me

It isn't a bad university. Certainly not the best, but allegations of "MUH INTERNATIONALS CHEAT" are blown out of proportion.

you sound mad

>insult someone
>he gets mad
>"HUU U MAD BRO"

Trying to figure it out what caused it but overuse I would imagine.

How far in are you?

You realize just how bad it is at the end of your sophomore year, AKA when you have to apply to your major.

that's generally how it works, kid, you insulting my way of life?

You sound mad.

doing a double major in applied stats & compsci (AI specialization)

I want to go into quantitative finance but most research positions requires a PhD in stats (renaissances technologies)

what is best way to pave a path for this?