My local book store pushing the wordsworth hard

My local book store pushing the wordsworth hard.

Those new editions of Dostoevsky look a thousand times worse and less comfy that the old ones.

I actually purchased the old idiot a while ago just because it made me laugh.

wtf those are ugly

is that war and peace even readable?

BMV a shit. Elliott's is where it's at.

If all that French is translated then it should be more readable than the original copy, heh.

elliots is shit a good read is where's it's at.

Are Wordsworth's quality enough? I feel like the ink will rub out easily and that they're just shit quality. The price is too good to be true, right?

>Dead Souls

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY FUUUUUUUUUUUCK

The new Dosto is the only that doesn't make me want to stab my own eyes, but even then Wordsworth is somehow just ugly. They could put Michelangelo inside those white borders and it would as a whole still look cheap, like an obvious photoshop

>judging a book by its cover

>Dead Souls
>idk it's a ghost who cares
Thanks Wordsworth

They're as durable as any other mass-market paperback.

>The price is too good to be true, right?
Why? They're all ex-copyright, hence cheap.

This is now a tribute thread for my awesome quads.

I don't know, I've never really seen books go for the price Wordsworth goes for, not even when it's the same book by a different publisher. They've got to cut costs on something. I've also seen posts criticizing the quality of Wordsworth.

Shit quads by the way, check out these digits.

the quality is shit my man. pick one up and you can tell right away. flimsy as fuck. they are the kind of books that have the cover fall off just from reading the book or the spine literally tear in two pieces from flipping pages.

Sadly I don't live in a English speaking country, otherwise I'd go to a local bookstore and examine the quality myself. Thanks for the information, I'll refrain from buying Wordsworth. I'll probably still buy one to borrow to people

I've read a couple, they're not the sturdiest paperbacks but assuming the point is to read the book not just look at it or display it then just have a flick through and check the print is okay.

I like the general style of them but they pick crappy images a lot of the time. Too many faces/characters not enough arty abstract nonsense.

Honestly this old cover was the GOAT and I probably would have purchased a book that unironically had the gall to use Napoleon Crossing the Alps on the cover

Half of their covers are good, the rest are absolute shit, why is that?

>check out these digits

Why did they think this would make a good cover for Crime and Punishment??

How many more copies would Wordsworth sell if it had just been plain covers with the title and the authors name on the front?

becuz #aesthetic russian art lamo

They've probably sold more thanks to the design. Now they are memes and everyone on Veeky Forums buys them

But in this case the only new material the publisher is selling is the cover, since all of those books are out of copyright.

>all the dostoevsky covers are just people without faces
so abstract
so creative

German Fischer classics also have this kind of design
The artist is called kazimir malevich

Which BMV Store is this?? Does anybody know used bookstores aside from BMV?

I actually have that copy (it was gifted to me). It's the Maude translation, and most of the French is translated in a note at the end or just easy to understand. I've never tried to learn French and haven't had any problem reading it

>judging a book by its cover
that's literally what covers are for

I just bought three Wordsworth's. Dubliners is the only one with an ugly cover. I have seen different pictures of it though, so we'll see what I get. I just can't pass up the $4 CAD prices.

Holy shit that Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. Who let that happen?

Which bookstore, OP?

Double dubs are pretty good though my dude

well the meme is all fun and good but just to clarify to the idiots out there I am not judging the book I am judging the cover.

I want to be well-read. Thanks for making all these classics affordable Wordsworth. Your ugly covers don't scare me.

>Buying classics that are out of copyright

Well, it's something to carry around and re-read. Great introductions and decent notes too.

Yes. I'd argue it's one of the best ones currently being printed in fact because it uses the original Maudes translation without the footnotes replaced like OWC has done. It's the most readable for the casual reader, which is important for a tome like War and Peace given its length.

Alternatively you could try to buy an older edition of it with full French translation. You can tell by reading the first page. If the first passage is in English, it's good.

It's still cheaper to buy them on Amazon or BookDepository.

The markup on them must be like 500%.

You can hold every worth it classic in he palm of your hand for free these days

>They're as durable as any other mass-market paperback.
So, not at all?

Indeed. I have a kobo and use it extensively. Sometimes I just like paperbacks, especially for poetry and short story collections when you are always navigating throughout the book.

BookDepository is outstanding. No minimum purchase free shipping worldwide. It really tempts me into buying more books, especially when I see Wordsworths Editions I want for $4 CAD a pop.

> A Good Read

books nobody wants

-seekers on bloor and Bathurst
-Balfour or Belfour
-ABC on yonge (sick store. stock moves fast)
-a good read on Roncy is just first editions and random shit
-there's also a music store north of a good read with alright books.
-there's some books at a music store in the junction.
-Dan Brown I'm Korea town
-some book store in a house in Kensington

The Wordsworth Finnegans Wake is GOAT

I miss they days when Literature just had nice paintings as front covers. The Penguin classics cover of The Count of Monte Cristo is mint.

I think you forgot some words there, friend

>not the best Dead Souls cover

Thank You! Just what I needed. Also, what do you think of book sales from the Toronto public library? do they have good literature on sale?

only if you are a fucking Neanderthal