Fall 2017 Schedules

Let's see what the local Veeky Forums brainlets are taking Fall 2017. Bonus points for fellow EE brainmores.

Mine is pic related + 3 credits of undergrad research in photonics.

All 3 credit Classes
You must go to a shit school and you call other people brainlets, ha

Different unis do credits differently you mong. They are only 3 because there are no babby recitations and meet 3 times a week for an hour

I'll just post it

Physical Chemistry II (5)
Fundamentals of Biomanufacturing (3)
Mathematical Methods in Biochemical and Chemical Engineering (4)
Rheology and Polymer Processing (3)
Chemical Engineering Kinetics and Reactor Design Laboratory (4)

UG Introduction to Discrete Structures 3.000

UG Circuit Analysis II 3.000

UG FUNDAMENTAL CIRCUITS LAB REC 2.000

UG Introduction to Technical Writing 3.000

UG Calculus III 4.000

I'm a filthy EE major too.

Oddly enough calc 3 is the last math I have to take. I've taken ODEs but not LA.

Calc 3 is easiest calc

It's basically calc 2 with an extra step or two

Switching from CS to Maths

Algorithms and Artificial Intelligence
Multi-paradigm programming
Mathematics 2A
Mathematics 2B
Discrete Mathematics
Statistics 2

Introduction to Programming (3)
Lab for this ^ (0)
Generla Physics I (4)
Calc 3 (4)
Basic Principles of Managemnt (3)
Introduction to Marketing (3)
Elementary Statistical Analysis (3)
Introductory Microeconimics (WEB) (3)

You're not wrong, but not meeting as often doesn't imply you cover more or even the same content as a 4 or 5 credit class. In most cases, a 3 credit class will be inferior to a 4 credit class in terms of ground covered

Hmm maybe at other schools, but here most are 3 credit hours. 4 credits if there is a weekly recitation. The only 5 credits are language classes which meet 5 days a week and calc 1 for some reason. Maybe we do cover less then other schools, but it is ABET accreditted and many undergrads go to top grad schools (MIT, Stanford, etc..) so ill take it

ABET accreditation is for brainlets. No, requiring retarded diversity classes is not what makes a great STEM education.

I hate it when brainlets think their bumfuck university is equivalent to, say, MIT just because both programs are ABET accredited, when in reality the pace and difficulty of the actual content taught in the classes vary wildly between ABET accredited programs.

Classes are the same shit everywhere. The real value of going to MIT or Stanford is in research opportunities and networking with other smart rich people.

Besides, are you such a brainlet that you need some crusty old fart to talk you through the material, instead of just reading the handouts online?

1) Stochastic Signal Analysis
2) Control Theory
3) Topology

t. applied math grad

>Classes are the same shit everywhere

Wrong. Go look at the equivalent of Calc 1 at Caltech and compare that to Bumfuck State a.k.a. your alma mater.

>Besides, are you such a brainlet that you need some crusty old fart to talk you through the material, instead of just reading the handouts online?

They won't give you handouts for shit they don't expect you to know or won't ever test you on.

Seriously, some schools don't even require a class in semiconductors to graduate in EE. It's fucking unreal.

>complex analysis I
>analysis II
>differential equations II
>topology I

expecting to have the most difficulty with topology, but it will also be a very small class.. so who knows.

>t. autist who spent all his effort on classwork

Literally no one gives a shit about your classes. Harvard kids don't go into finance because they took Math 55, they go into finance because their roommate Chad's dad works at Goldman. Stanford kids join startups because of the ML research they did during the school year with a professor, not because they took the same shitty Intro to Java course that's taught across half the undergraduate departments in this country.

Nobody at Stanford or Harvard is bragging about the rigor of their Freshman English class, retard. I guess you wouldn't know that though.

Have fun getting fucked, you have to be a maths genius like me to pull that schedule off with a perfect GPA.

> they go into finance because their roommate Chad's dad works at Goldman
> Stanford kids join startups because of the ML research they did during the school year with a professor

So does your Bumfuck State roommate's dad work at Goldman? Do Bumfuck State kids join startups because of the ML research they did with a Bumfuck professor?

You're not really helping your case here. The quality of EVERYTHING is shittier at Bumfuck state. Including the people. Like you :^)

Mathematical Physics
Numerical Analysis
Boundary Layers (Fluid Mechanics)
Graduate ODEs

You're the only one who's talked about Bumfuck State so far. Given that you don't even know what most Ivy League students like to point out about their university, I'd guess that you're trying to defend the quality of education at a flagship state school.

Why don't you post your school ID, user?

yeah it'll be a busy semester, but whatever im a sperg so it'll be fine

>Maybe we do cover less then other schools, but it is ABET accreditted and many undergrads go to top grad schools (MIT, Stanford, etc..) so ill take it

You're the one implying ABET accreditation at bumfuck state makes you equivalent to MIT and Stanford.

Then you backtrack and say the curriculum doesn't matter. It's the connections. Of course, there are no meaningful connections at bumfuck state either.

So now you're just grasping at straws like a mouthbreathing autist.

>I'd guess that you're trying to defend the quality of education at a flagship state school.

You just described yourself, congratulations you fucking brainlet retard :))

>Maybe we do cover less then other schools, but it is ABET accreditted and many undergrads go to top grad schools (MIT, Stanford, etc..) so ill take it

Different user, retard. I only pointed out that Ivies are more about connections and research. Did that trigger you, user? Waste an education in the classroom like an autist instead of making friends and schmoozing profs?

>You just described yourself, congratulations you fucking brainlet retard :))

OK, there's no doubt whatsoever. UMass, SUNY, or NYU?

>Different user, retard.

Come on now, son. Stop trying to cover your tracks. Maybe you should try refuting my points instead of grasping at straws like a retarded brainlet :^))

>answers every post with "b-but muh bumfuck state curriculum"

It's okay, user. Don't let that lack of research or friends stop you. Just keep telling yourself that employers and grad schools will care about your curriculum's "rigor."

Also:
>implying i was that user

>answers every post with "b-but muh ivy leagues"

It's okay, user. Don't let that lack of logical coherence and real arguments stop you. Just keep telling yourself that employers and grad schools will care about your ability to contradict yourself in the same thread :^)

5xx classes are graduate courses

I'm excited :~)

>i'll just throw in another caret smile to pretend that I wasn't just triggered by the mere mention of research or networking

Haha, user, you sure told me! We should all just be socially-awkward incels and only leave our room to go to class and throw out piss bottles.

>unironically arguing on Veeky Forums

It feels nice not being a brainlet

How the fuck are some of you taking 6-7 classes? What the fuck?

At my school, we are on the quarter system, and having more than 4 difficult classes in a quarter amounts to nearly 100hrs a week of work. Is it different for semester schools?

Also for thread:

Abstract Algebra 1
Honors Real Analysis 1
Introduction to Probability Theory
Complex Analysis

Gonna probably just drop complex analysis though and maybe take the graduate version next fall

what are going to see in math 497?

I never even say we are equivalent to top schools. ABET accreditation is typically needed to get a legit job in engineering. I say the part about grad school because why would I go to a supposedly harder, much more expensive place like MIT, Stanford for undergrad when I know many people have gotten there for grad school from bumfuck state. Didnt feel like $140k+ in debt would be worth it when I can just accept a full ride.

Everyone post no one read thread?

>Func anal
>Cat theory
>Rings and fields
>Group theory

Inorganic chemistry
Analytical chemistry
Statistical mechanics
Crystal structure and electronic properties
Research for credit

Will probably drop a class for something easy

can someone explain what the american credit system is?

is it just number of credits=number of hours of lectures/labs etc.?

In aus we only do 4 units per semester which adds up to about 20 hours of lectures & labs for most engineering and science degrees

Algebraic Geometry I
Riemann Surfaces
Homological Algebra
Representation Theory

In my school it's based on the difficulty of the class. More credits mean more time you're suppose to dedicate to it even if the lectures are the same length.

It just depends on the school desu. MIT does like 12 credit hours for some classes as if that is how much time you should spend on the material each week, but some colleges do just count the number of hours actually in lecture or recitation per week

First year
>Mechanics, Thermal Physics, Waves
>Calculus 1
>Fundamentals of Engineering 1
>Programming in Java
>Survey
kinda nervous desu, the first year is apparently the hardest at my school (Ohio State)

What makes you think you're a math genius?

Physics with Calc I
Discrete Structures II
CS II (programming, second course)
Linear Algebra or Diff Eq

>EE

>Numerical and stochastic mathematics
>Radio communications
>electric machinery control
>basics of robotics
>assistive technology

gonna be starting my first year this fall, so I won't be studying much:
-calculus 1
-linear algebra 1
-naive set theory
-intro to programming in C
-phsyics 1
-physics 1 lab
(bachelors in physics and math)

>class
kek. what a brainlet. i only do research now.

>tfw EE major
>tfw thinking about the future and shit
>tfw realize that career prospects for EE aren't very good and it's almost as much work as CS, which has job prospects out the wazoo and which contains a lot more interesting math
>tfw transferring to CS is very difficult at my school because it's one of the top CS schools in the country (UIUC)

One is a colloquium, so weekly guest speakers on some special topic.

The other is a functional analysis course, focusing on applications to infinite-dimensional geometry.

Physics 101(5)
Calc 2(5)
Geology 101(3)
Astronomy independent study (2)
Be gentle

What are you, some kind of math wizard? How are you in Calc2, but Physics 101, and 5? Is this fake, you made this up...?

Calc 2 and physics 101 are corequisites, and the parentheses say the number of units each class is worth.

UIUC is also top 5 in EE bud. Ive thought of switching too, but are all CS jobs just programming? Programming is pretty boring to do all the time imo.

Asking if all CS jobs are just programming is like asking if all art jobs are just drawing. Well, yeah, but there's many different types. There are a variety of problems out there to tackle (AI, big data, etc), and if you're able to distinguish yourself, you can find yourself working on something you really like.

Also, yeah, I know it's good for EE, but I'm saying that imo in general EE is not as good as CS. I just feel like in terms of what I want to do in life and how many career options I have CS is a much better choice, but it might not be one I have. I mean desu I have no idea what I'm doing, but if I'm going to have to grind out a difficult degree, CS seems much better,

Yeah I see what you are saying. Both are good degrees with many opportunities so there is no bad choice really. I can see how it would be easier to change to a different job/industry whenever in CS compared to EE for sure.

The other thing is I have a hard-on for pure math but I'm also really "materialistically" ambitious (e.g. I want to be famous, to own my own company, etc.) and I want a job, so I can't do a pure math degree. CS is the next best thing, and it has a lot of avenues to material success, while EE is neither.

>poor career prospects for EE

really?

i don't have one because i just graduated

but if I were to go back for fall i would have taken

CS270 - graduate operating systems
CS277- graduate security/cryptography
CS260- compiler optimization

>intro to analysis I
>intro to topology
>linear algebra
>numerical linear algebra
and some poli sci class

What the fuck do EE majors do?
I know what they learn (the hardware) but I haven't heard of as much demand for innovation in that as in CS. To be completely honest, I have no idea, but it just seems that way.

A good way to learn is actually just look at job boards online like indeed or glassdoor etc.. and type in electrical engineer in your area or nationally. It is a huge field with legit 15 specializations at my school (grad program). There are several different paths down each specialization too.

what this user said is pretty much accurate.

EEs work in everything from microprocessor design, to power electronics (electrical grid and device power), to communication systems, to mathematical modeling of physical objects (think circuit simulators and similar tools).

in those sub-fields there is a lot of math, programming, and physics involved. I'm not an EE, I'm actually applied math. i work with EEs though. theres a huge variety of stuff.

I'm a senior chemical engineering major.

Senior Design - 4 credits
Unit Operations - 3 credits
Honors Thesis - 3 credits

It should be a pretty fun semester.

Functional Analysis 7.5hp
Stochastic Analysis 7.5hp

In Sweden 7.5hp amount to 20h/week. I'm under the impression that 40h/week is less than typical in USA. Do you agree?

Intro Literature
Bio II
Linear Algebra
Intro Geology
Intro Psychology

...yeah this is my last semester and I'm taking all the stupid classes required by the university that I skipped over. Should be cake. Guess my major? I already completed all the requirements for it.

Thanks for the advice. I have no idea what I'm doing but I'll take this into account.

I never posted what classes I was taking:
Quantum Physics (2)
Thermodynamics (2)
Calc 3 (4)
Intro to Engineering - Computing Basics (4)
Some bullshit humanities course about the economics of renewable energy or something (4)

First sem of college btw

Looks like a lot for a first semester.

Propulsion, Space Orbital Mechanics, Materials Lab, Aerospace Structures II, Senior Design I.....

Asian Eats online class

I'm trying to graduate in three years to save on tuition.

I would really advise against that, especially for your first semester where you're acclimating to college. Taking a ton of hard classes is a good way to do mediocre across the board.

Aerospace engineering

I already took a multi class in high school, so Calc 3 isn't entirely new stuff, same with Thermo. I do think about how hard it's going to be, but I gotta do what I gotta do. The high school I went to is notorious for being extremely academically competitive, so it's not like I'm entirely new to it.

Advanced Linead Programming
Abstract Algebra
Senior Design
Intro to Materials Science
Africana Studies

It has little to do with the actual content you're learning and everything to do with adjusting to being in college. I went to a top 10 high school in the country, so I know what you're talking about. Trust me, even the most difficult high schools don't adequately prepare you.

I'm not saying you're necessarily going to do poorly, but I've seen many overzealous freshmen crash and burn. Just my two cents.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it into account. And I'm not dumb, I know it's either going to wreck my ass or be really hard if it doesn't.

Electromagnetic Waves
Fiber Optic Communications + lab
High Frequency Amplifier Design + lab
Digital Communication Systems lab
Social Ethics

Senior EE Undergrad here...
Fall 2017:
Electrical Machinery Lecture
Electrical Machinery Lab
Electr/Computer Engrg Desgn I (Senior Design)
Topics In Elec Engrg (Semiconductors is the topic for fall semester)
Engr Statistics Lecture
Engr Statistics Lab
3 Day Six Sigma Greenbelt Certification Course

Can't wait for Spring 2018 though..

Digital Signal Processing
Feedback Systems
Senior Design II
Culinary Tourism

And just like that I will obtain a BS in EE with a minor in math. Plan to work in either comm systems or controls.

>

Trust me
Get off Veeky Forums
Go make friends
Make connections
Get research positions
Don't be a fucking Veeky Forums autist

Microbiology (4)
Calculus based Physics I (4)
Gen Chem II (4)
World Prehistory (3)

Advanced Algorithms
RUST III
Numerical Analysis II (grad)
Introduction to Data Mining
Personal Grooming and Hygiene (prescribed course)

oh hey CSULB

What is hilarious in this thread: you brainlets arguing about classes and schools. I've known people that even joked with each other:

One person went to the best school available for engineering. The other went to a local state school. They both ended up working in the same job title, made the same amount of money, in the same office, and for the same boss. School didn't really matter in the situation. They were just eligible to apply for the job.

Electronics (4)
Microprocessors (4)
Cardio Fitness (1)
Weight Training (1)
Yoga (1)
Day Hiking (1)

I was gonna take an extra math class since I am ahead on classes. My advisor said I should pick something easy so that I could focus on the ECE classes. I have slowly been turning into a fat piece of shit over the last few years so this will be good for me

Holy shit so many EE in here..well senior EE here:
-EE design project 1 (2 credit hours)
-Applications of EM Theory (3)
RF Engineering (3)
-Photonics (3)
-Research related to RF circuits/applied electromagnetics (0 or 3)
-Either Electrodynamics, Power Electronics, or maybe some optics/laser for final class slot

Also will begin applying to grad schools this Fall, hope to get into something optics/photonics related, maybe electromagneticsRF

AA form Chem Engineer
Cal 2
Chem 2 + Lab
Intro physics( if I get an A or B in cal I could skip to Physics with Cal 1 +Lab)

If I do the physics route with cal ill be doing two labs and these classes. I work so I may be fucking over my grade.

Decisions decisions.

Some grad courses along the lines of:

>Functional Analysis
>Geometry of Manifolds
>Something in Analysis or Topology

Course selection hasn't started yet (or I'm retarded).

Looks fucking awesome bud. Topology was my favourite class in undergrad. Don't worry about it.

M/t/w/th/f/s/s 8am to 10pm: advisor's bitch

8th quantum hyperday: thesis

>Gonna probably just drop complex analysis though and maybe take the graduate version next fall

You might get destroyed by doing that. On the other hand, it might be fucken awesome.

What field?
Chem "research", i.e. washing used glassware with acetone?

He was a going to get absolutely buttfucked unless he has an IQ of 190. Maths grad classes are like 4 people who all get A+'s without hardly studying and hearing the material once.

I might take a course in the math or comp sci department, and do a reading course on harmonic analysis or wavelets or something. Other than that basically just do bitch work for prof like . Also try to find a wife since my last bitch left me.

Ostensibly compsci, but I'm more like the machine learning expert attached to half a dozen different domain experts. Working with people in education, medical imaging, HEP, all kinds of shit

I took a 1 credit rock climbing class at my uni and it was so shit, waste of money shouldve just done it on my own

Case Western Reserve University:
MATH 321 - Fundamentals of Analysis I
MUAP 321 - Principal Level Performance V
PHYS 301 - Adv Laboratory Physics I
PHYS 303 - Adv Laboratory Physics Seminar
PHYS 313 - Thermodynamics and Stat Mech
PHYS 349 - Methods of Mathematical Physics I
PHYS 481 - (Graduate) Quantum Mechanics I
MUEN 3something - Orchestra
MUEN 3something else - Chamber music

Oh, and I'm researching photonics too, what a coincidence

how many of those courses do you get some gook chick to sit in on and take notes for you?

Super excited for med chem and to keep going with my independent study, less excited for German desu

Smh should have taken polish

O kurwa!

What's your major? Med chem sounds like a fun class

Biology, I just really enjoy chemistry (as any biologist should imo) so I'm taking it as a free elective.

I did a browse through the textbook and it looks pretty neat, a lot more biology than I expected (seems to be more focused on drug targets and delivery rather than synthesis etc.)

Senior Biochemistry here. I've finished just about all my prerequisites, now just doing upper division electives

Principles of Pharmacology (4)
Animal Development (3)
Principles of Cellular Signalling (3)
Genetics Research (2)

Was gonna do some chem courses but these take priority for what I want to do and I don't really wanna overload myself.