What makes you drop a book?

what makes you drop a book?

Slippery fingers

It's uninteresting or I have greasy fingers

3 pgs of banana breakfast

something scary

Makes me cringe too many times.

Most recent book I dropped was White Noise. We get it Delilo, you're jaded about academia and the state of American society, you can stop.

op here, i'm almost dropping lotr the two towers because i just can't take this insane amount of (barely useful) description

The protagonist being a writer.

Written by a woman. Unironically, too.

Why would you pick it up in the first place then

You fucking idiot. You only "cringe" because you've been hearing about those topics for the last 20 years. DeLillo was one of the few back then that satirised about them and did it well with an original style.

Stop acting like you're a fucking scholar and call everything "cringe"

Post = Dropped
too cringey

The prologue is interesting and seems to jump into the action.
>50 years later
>chapter 1
NO FUCK YOU I WANTED THAT STORY!

cliches
cringe

Yeah, same. There's probably no way to write a serious story where the main character is a writer and that's his whole fucking deal, where you're telling a story about being a writer through a writer character.
The only time I think I've ever seen it and enjoyed it was in a Robert Heinlein book, where the protagonist mentions offhandedly that he writes and talks about it (tongue in cheek) like it's a crippling disease, where he'll have attacks of the urge to write and all that can be done is to lock him in a room with a word processing device and occasionally pass in food and drink until he comes out of it. And the book doesn't dwell on it and it's never mentioned again.

Lmao

self inserts doing cool stuff the writer never did in his life

>You only "cringe" because you've been hearing about those topics for the last 20 years

I know that. I don't even disagree with him. It's just that this book felt like being beaten over the head with >MUH MATERIALISM and >MUH ACADEMIC WANKERY. I live in the biggest city in my country and I do an Arts degree, I don't need Delilo telling me what I already know.

CRASH

my phone every 5 minutes

what did u said to me faggot

I fall asleep and it falls out of my hand.

Lazy writing, taking too long to get to the plot without giving me something engaging to hold on to. Overuse of adverbs and passive language.

Written by a woman or has gay characters

The fact that you cringe means that he did a damn good job picking apart the ugly aspects of your culture.

why do you pick something written by a women at all?

>taking too long to get to the plot without giving me something engaging to hold on to

Big one for me. There's books that I've gone hundreds of pages in and still had no fucking idea what it's about, and found nothing interesting about it. (usually shit recommended by lit too)

Too old for that shit now, if the bullshit doesn't hook me in at least 30 pages, I'm out.

the books arent poorly written, youre just bad at reading

Usually a lack of interest or coming across another book I want to read more

If there is a rare pepe to be had.

what if theres 1 good chapter in the middle of 10 bad chapters?

A title drop

>Oedipa settled back, and awaited the crying of Lot 49

Stopped reading right there.

An arrow to the knee

this
>I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be.”

Bad science
Many similar characters
Lots of one-liners, or over playing snappy/witty dialogue /characters,
Over explaining/under estimating the reader

>and at that moment I knew, without question, that this was A Tale of Two Cities that would be for the ages

lotr goes a lot easier on audiobook.

>hi im the protagonist
>im going to address the readers of this novel directly, in a unironic fashion
>society is dumb!!!!!

And it goes even easier if you just watch the movies.

woman protagonist

kek... good book

my mother language isn't english, so i'm not sure i'll be able to make good use of an audio book

i think i'll give up the books and watch the movies (i never watched them)
i was liking the story, but the descriptions are driving me crazy
they're too detailed but at the same time i feel they say nothing

Never read the book he's talking about but that's a little silly to assume. Imagine, for example, some idiot tries to parody Canadian culture by running up to someone on the street with a thick fake accent going "OH HEY THERE BUDDY OH YA EH CANADA EH SORRY BUD!"

I'd probably cringe pretty fucking hard, and not because the guy had anything insightful to say about the "ugly aspects" of my culture.

Everything written by Kerouac

The knowledge that life is short and I could be reading a better book.

picked up the four agreements. I put it down soon after.

I don't drop books

When I read it as a 12 year old I got the impression that he described irrelevant and boring stuff in tedious detail while glossing over many more interesting parts.

when it gets too boring
fuckin' fight me

Right? I have this problem when I'm reading history books. Most of the time, they'll mention something and then move on. No. Stop. Go back! What was that about the uprising of nuns that stopped a barbarian invasion? Literary blue balls.