Self driving cars are invented

>self driving cars are invented
>AI that drives them is trained to detect street signs
>cars are programmed to stop at stop signs
>guy stands on the side of the highway holding a stop sign
>15 car pileup ensues

How do you train a neural network to recognize road signs and take appropriate action? Obviously a human driver isn't going to stop doing 60 on the highway because some schmuck is holding a sign. But a computer designed to hit the brakes when it detects a red octagon doesn't know what "appropriate" action is. In a way it's immeasurably worse than a human driver.

Other urls found in this thread:

nerdist.com/trap-a-self-driving-car/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So THAT'S why I have to click all these fucking vehicles and street signs.

Things like pic related will pose an interesting challenge for them.

car pileup ensues
>15 angry guys step our of their car and beat of the "prankster"

Are you implying that idiot pranksters would not exist because there would likely be repercussions? Given the ubiquity of idiot pranksters, and the existence of repercussions they already face, I think your positions in untenable.

Dude, I somehow never put two and two together. Captcha feels slightly less pointless now.

just wait til the kids realise they can troll driverless cars by just running across the street infront of them.

anyone got info on how an ai would deal with the trolley problem?

The old word captchas were for training software how to read books. We've been giving Google training data for at least a decade.

You can also throw bags full of shit from bridges onto the passing cars yet it has not been a major issue so far.

Major? No. But it or similar happens -- every year you read about some moron dropping a heavy object off an overpass and killing somebody.

But with driverless cars you have the added shit-potential posed by pic related plus some obvious games Turrurrists could play.

I am not anti-driverless cars, but it is probably worth considering how to address those points.

Something that might be more analogous to fucking with the AI of self driving cars is writing computer viruses, or the /b/ level l33r hax0ring that is closer to the mental level of holding up a sign to confuse a car.

And those, particularly the former, are in fact more serious problems.

When driverless cars are invented I plan to get a shirt with a stop sign on it, to ensure that I'm never struck by one.

If it becomes illegal to wear such shirts I'll sue the government for millions of dollars for depriving me of my right to self defense without due process.

Well, I don't think that explicit example will be much of a problem, but generally speaking the car not properly scanning its surroundings definetely will be a problem. IIRC some guy already died because his Tesla thought that truck ahead of him is a street sign or something similar.

It will never hit you anways if it scanned you you idiot.

>implying a chucklefuck holding a stop sign in the middle of the freeway wouldn't cause a massive disruption in traffic from the sheer amount of people rubber knecking and call him insane alone
same difference

also traffic signs of the future will probably have some kind of RFID as a form of two step verification

>Never

Never is a long time.

Machine infallibility is a meme, don't fall for it.

You can argue freedom of expression on top of that

stop signs (or any other road signs) are no longer needed once we convert to full AI controlled cars

there are no words that can fully express how woefully inadequate your reasoning is

>replacing all traffic signs
have fun getting funding for such a big infrastructure project

pretty much all the theoretical automated car systems have either a network of the whole world or just the area
cars will probably not even stop at intersections anymore because they'll just communicate with each other to avoid colliding

people and animals will still walk onto the roadways, idiot
and there will always be human-operated cars, for which signs are needed

>trains are invented
>guy pours cement on the tracks
>train derailment ensues

What's the issue exactly?

>car slows / stops because of stop sign
>car behind it slows / stops because it sees the car ahead of it slowing / stopping
>repeat until the entire highway is stopped

The cars aren't going to randomly just smash into each other.

Bingo! I just click on whatever is different and recaptcha lets me go everytime.

>Guy holds up stop sign on highway
>AI cars stop
>Simultaneously signal to all other AI cars that they are stopping
>AI cars coordinate action around stop in such a way that no accident occurs

But you're right that recognition on a human level is a problem for AI machines as currently designed. I forget the title but there's a recent arXiv paper about how a few modifications to an image of a stop sign that are imperceptible to humans was able to fool a neural net into thinking the stop sign was a yield sign. The problem lies in the fact that computers don't interpret images the same way humans do.

You could just attach a tag to existing signs, but I'm more inclined to believe signs will be obsolete than tagged/replaced

>octagon on a stick vs octagon being held by some random asshole
Doesn't seem too hard

Also the only captchas you can skip if nothing's to see are the ones with cars.
So yes, it's definetely about training neural networks

Self driving cars. Give me a break. As long as there exists even one TRAIN in the world that has a human driver, I will never take that technology seriously for cars. Trains move on a line. Cars move on a plain. Self driving technology is infinitely more complex for cars than trains. Fix the easy problem first.

Once all trains have no drivers rail travel will get cheap, and trains can leave way more often. The real reason this technology is not pursued is the oil lobby wanting to sell all that kerosene. Funny how we have self flying planes too. The world is stupid.

currently, self-driving cars have lower accident rates than humans, and the accidents they do have are often due to programming issues failing to recognize vehicles due to camera perspective

>plain

Sue me, I'm dsylectix

I'd assume trains aren't completely automated due to a mix of strong unions and people being hysterical about putting their lives in the hands of software.

But on a purely technical level...hasn't Japan automated many of their trains going back to the late 90s?

>>octagon on a stick vs octagon being held by some random asshole

What if random asshole holds an octagon on a stick?

>octagon on a stick in the ground vs octagon on a stick that ends with a random as whole
Completely different general shape. He might have a chance if he makes one out of construction paper, attaches it to a broom handle, and hides in some bushes

>get database of sign locations
>problem solved

Or something like this

>cars stop for the stop sign on highway
>somehow dont stop for the other cars and crash

Why do you think so many captchas are about street signs. Machines have no cultural background knowledge and the concept of a prank is totally alien to them. Now think about all the irrational rituals that guide our social interactions.. You probably can't because it is so normal. nerdist.com/trap-a-self-driving-car/

>repeat until the entire highway is stopped
>the entire highway is stopped
Can you really not see the problem?

Trains are basically automated now. The conductor only exists for the purpose of making sure nothing breaks and in case they need to use manual overrides which they never use.

Effectively a modern train "driver" is nothing more than an on-call mechanic

>hundreds of people will DIE HORRIBLY in a traffic accident if this happens!
>>actually no, at worst it would just cause a traffic jam and inconvenience people with slower trip times
>can't you really not see the problem???

IF some guy was standing on the roadside holding a STOP sign, then actual real life human beans would slow down and stop because they would assume there was road construction