Infinite Jest and the Sierpinski Triangle

Just a quick question before I have time to read more into it, how is Infinite Jest part sierpinski triangle? Ive heard david in an interview just quickly reference it... Only once when I was super fucked up on methylon I could see the fractile in the paragraphs, but never really again

(Oddly right when I could an earthquake happened which is an /x/ topic hehe)
Thank you

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FkxUY0kxH80
washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/2016-election/campaign-finance/
youtube.com/watch?v=pqmIAbHXr0Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Who gives a shit, honestly? Mathematics and geometry have no purpose in literature. It's simply a way to jack off and pretend your book is a holistic creation of every facet of your large impressive brain. I like Infinite Jest, but you should be trying to decipher what the book means rather than pointless structural wankery.

20 mins in DFW predicts trump presidency

youtube.com/watch?v=FkxUY0kxH80

do that math

When I was last in the book like 700-800 pages in while liberally reading the footnotes, It was just a fucking crazy story about recovery meetings for the most part...
I swear he was just copying bullshit that was happening in real life or using it liberally as a muse because it was a bit much...

I need to read more soon, at the time I was just barely getting into drug recovery and it was a bit of an overload hahaha. I ended up leaving it at a rehab.

Okay so I was on Veeky Forums a long time ago and someone posted a youtube edit of all of DFW's "ums"/"ahs"/facial tics/winces and other weird things from various interviews, does anyone have a link?

schizposting back?

>The political candidate with the most money to spend on television ads wins
Wow, really made me think.
washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/2016-election/campaign-finance/

is it worth to read IJ?
i'm reading it and nothing happened until now

Im sorry, but I just cant take him serious without the bandana

youtube.com/watch?v=pqmIAbHXr0Y

He didn't mean that one could mathematically sort out every word into some fractal, he just meant the ideas cascaded in a fractal-esque (heh) way.

I'm gonna be honest, while he may have been intellectually brilliant, emotionally he was a fucking retard.

Do you know why he's making all these facial tics, embarrassing himself as if on purpose, trying to look so humble and sincere? Because he was a fucking narcissist. His very desire to appear sincere and open is false, is what made him appear so insincere to us, so ridiculous. You can't just will your cynicism and anger to go away by covering it up with this facade of anger, people can still sense the anger behind the facade.

This is the guy who, as you all know, while appearing like a saint to young acolytes and being venerated as some moral guru, dragged his sister through dogshit as a teenager, plotted to kill the boyfriend of some bitch he had a crush on, and pushed his girlfriend out of a car once.

Hard not to see how he came to kill himself in the end. A totally false person, the ultimate example of how emotionally retarded and false so-called "artists" can be. Fuck this guy, really (and yes, I got through Infinite Jest, twice in fact, no, I'm not mad b/c the book was dull in parts).

>You can't just will your cynicism and anger to go away by covering it up with this facade of anger
*with this facade of politeness, sincerity, kindness

But, Trump did have the most coverage throughout the whole thing. The difference being he used hyperbolic statements to manipulate the media into covering him, while later he backtracked on those statements.
It's all in his stupid deal book

your a idiot

>dragged his sister through dogshit as a teenager
Elaborate or provide source.

yeah, and it's not like he ever wrote about inauthenticity, insincerity, the problem of empathy, all that shit, at all either

you're a dumbass

I just finished it. unrelated Q for others that read it:

The events in the book are "realistic" in the sense that everything that happens is physically possible, apart from the obvious invocation of the supernatural with JOI's ghost. The perception of which only occurs to Don when he's semi-delirious, so who knows. But besides that (and some minor gags that seem implausible but not worth inspecting), the only thing that stood out as truly bizarre was when Ortho's forehead was stuck to the window and Hal pulled him so that it stretched "a couple feet" with is face skin shifting up his face and between his skull and the window. The fuck was up with that?

Is this really worth reading or is this just a meme?

What do you think? It's the memest of all memes.

I can't tell if this means it is worth reading or if I'm just going to hate myself for falling for a meme

Gunning fog: 13.3

OK, KID.

It's good. Read it. People who meme it just couldn't finish it.

dank

It's not terrible but definitely not essential either, which is an awkward spot for a roughly 500 thousand word long book to be in. Other things that have been memed here like Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow, The Recognitions, and J R are a lot better.

I haven't read The Recognitions or JR but Infinite Jest is the one I'd take to a desert island between it, GR and Ulysses. For one thing, it's one of the funniest books I've ever read.

Yeah it's quite possible to be a complete asshole and still a great artist. See Pound, Wagner, Celine. I think after the "Saint David" mythology wears off a revisionist biography of him will be published, presenting him as the phony, autismo douche he really was, except exaggerated for literary effect, and the pendulum will swing between the Saint David view and the spergy creep view until he is ultimately forgotten by retards in the future.

The bio that came out a few years ago was pretty warts-and-all.

but GR is funnier