If time dilation is measurable

If time dilation is measurable,
How much slower would time be if we were not spinning on earth, rotating the sun and rotating in the milky way?

Other urls found in this thread:

astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Unit5/gps.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

not much

In relation to what?

>asks how much "slower" time would be if we moved less quickly through space.

you do realize that from the perspective of someone outside the galaxy that our clocks would appear to speed up not slow down if the situation you described took place.

But we on earth wouldn't perceive a difference in the passage of time.

All time is local time and all mass is rest mass.

how much slower RELATIVE TO WHAT?

Yes it is measurable, this is how we have confirmed relativity, with radioactive clocks in space.

The difference is so minute, the sun travels through the galaxy at 220000 m/s and we travel in a circle as the earth spins 463 m/s so even at best you're looking at a difference by a factor of 10^-2 to 10^-3 which is a drop in the bucket so to speak. But we have measured it.

>not conditions in what we exist

This is just philosophy garbage. Physics doeant care what things "are" but how they work and how they can be measured and what can be said of them based on measurements

The aether

But seriously, couldn't we measure from the distant nothing between galaxies as a "zero" condition?

sure, but you can't guarantee that position itself isn't also moving

Well if the Universe is expanding or contracting, there has to be a position that does not change despite that expansion.

every point is expanding at the same rate from every other point. Every point is the center of the universe from the point of view of that point.

not him, but shouldnt there be an objective center which is not expanding at nearly the same rate as the outer edges?

>shouldnt there be an objective center
weirdly no, there isn't. everywhere is equidistant from the "edge", in-so-much as "edge" has any real meaning.

this blows my mind, im not doubting it's true since it's not my field at all, but i just cant comprehend that. but im sure i cant comprehend a lot of concepts about space, hell i barely get relativity

...and those physics measurements indicate that the way in which we commonly think, and the way space time actually works, do not match up.

...which isn't particularly surprising, given that physics says much the same of so much other shit. If everything just worked intuitively, we wouldn't need physics.

>If time dilation is measurable
time dilation has been measured
many times, Sherlock

All the same, the void between galaxies probably doesn't vary that much, we could probably use an average estimate.

you might also ask how much faster time would progress in the absence of earths, the suns, and the galaxies gravitational field.

GPS doesn't use relativity transformations.

brainlet.

astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Unit5/gps.html

maybe not but don't they account for the time dilation due to their velocity? if not their clocks would go out of synch and that would make their positioning calculations screwy.

>brainlet.
Most of the world's problems emerge from the sad fact that the dumb-ass idiots are so cocksure of themselves.

ah perfect, you use a trip, I can filter you out.

I have achieved local maxima in internet enjoyment for the day. Goodbye internet.

Assuming mass doesn't play a role ( it does )

Earth spins at about ~465 m/s
Earth goes around the sun at ~30 000 m/s
Earth goes around the center of the galaxy at ~220 000 m/s

if we just add the speeds because fuck it we get time experienced on a fixed point from the center of the galaxy / time experienced on earth = 1.000000344450178

Also i didn't round correctly but whatever

>makes the difference of a matter of minutes over a lifetime
wow its fucking nothing