Why do i find fiction so pointless to read?

why do i find fiction so pointless to read?

what is the point of reading fiction? you learn very little whilst non-fiction has the same entertainment/enjoyment factor plus it leaves you more knowledgable.

You sound fun at parties.

let me guess, STEM wannabe

Great fiction, and bear in mind that yes 99% of fiction is pretty much just pointless shit, can give you an intuition about human nature that can't properly be explained yet by raw facts or science.

>non-fiction is nothing but raw facts

This. Been reading post modern fiction for class and I have to say I have definitely felt something that I am too stupid to define.

i understand your argument but i disagree.

a well written autobiography/memoir can explore and explain the human consciousness more vividly than any piece of fiction.

Fiction is more for learning about culture and interaction.

Nonfiction is more for learning about mechanics or thoughts.

If you don't like one or the other, don't burden people with your boorish opinion on it. Just read what you like and leave the rest for everyone else.

I find it important when developing empathy.

how can fiction teach you more about culture than a well written sociologically non-fiction book?

I can do whatever I want in my spare time.

Because fiction often catches the day-to-day shit most sociologists aren't concerned with. The fact that Russians 100 years ago would sleep above their stoves, for example, is prevalent in Tolstoy, but you'd probably not ever encounter that aspect of their culture otherwise.

I can't believe you're belaboring the issue like this. If you don't like literature, just don't read it. Don't ask strangers to justify it for you then be a shitty person in general in response.

Fiction generates the truth and expresses it far more clearly than any sort of non fiction

you presented your point of view, im asking you to defend it. i'm sorry that we don't live in a world where everything you say and write is gospel user.

if my thread is not something you are interested in replying to, then don't. this isn't rocket science.

christ, its like talking to a petulant 3 year old who is crying because the entire world doesn't immediately bend over backwards to agree with him.

You're reading empty pretentious drivel that intentionally obfuscates it's point with vaguely emotive rambling in order to make you think the author is enlightened and to hide the fact that it's actually empty pretentious drivel.
You're welcome.

Not who you responded to, but I'd like to point out that you're retarded, and also a total cunt.

Why isn't reading for entertainment enough? Do you only watch documentaries? After all, TV shows and movies are just entertainment. So is gaming, listening to music, browsing the internet, watching a midget fuck a normal sized lady... life is all about entertainment.

I also do prefer non-fiction, but fiction is not pointless. I just conveys same ideas that you can find in a non-fiction book in aesthetic way, and thus make a point much more poetically powerful.

All of you are retards

i don't watch any tv, movies or any of those things because as you said it is pure entertainment and hence a waste of my time.

>why do i find fiction so pointless to read?
Because you are not a fun person and you're probably not fun to be around.

in nonfiction there may be fact(oid)s, but in fiction there is truth

nice refutation of my point madame.

Are you, perhaps, upset that someone is not only challenging your worldview, but challenging it with superior arguments?

Is that why you resort to ad hominem attacks?

how sad that despite (i presume) years and years of reading, you still have the intelligence of a 3 year old.

that certainly may have some validity to it.

i love fiction but recently i'm getting bored too easy
not sure if i'm reading the wrong books or if i'm missing something

Fiction is a fractured autobigraphy or memior, the author is still writing about his experience.

If you cant read and understand both then gtfo

>you don't learn anything from fiction

implying Lord Henry Wotton has nothing to teach you

stop being a faggot, classic canon literature is philosophy, psychology, culturology, linguistics, dialectics and history all rolled into one.

>what is the point of reading fiction?
cheaper than watching tv, and sometimes more fun

Not who you're responding to, but anyway, neck yourself you dumb faggot.

I learned everything I need to know from Kafka's Big Bug Book or whatever it was called

Well written fiction gives you a mainline into another person's life experience. It helps with the cognitive exercise of imagining yourself in another person's shoes to understand their perspective--something that OP obviously has no experience doing.