Overrated

Overrated authors and books

Will is the most underrated writer; however highly you rate him it can't do justice to his genius and the depth and ubiquity of his bootprint on the canon

I feel like Shakespheres writing style, like every moment (at least the very little I am familiar with of his) he is like giddy, manic, brimming with joy, with a massive smile, like his writing is so upbeat, it just keeps going up and up away, I know he wrote on every topic, all sorts of tragic and sad and despairing stuff too, but it seems there is always an aire of confidence and 'love or something' positivity, optimism, an unconditional psychotic exponential love of life

>ugh I have to write about Hamlet in my GCSEs ughhhhh I hate Shakespeare he sucks I have to memorise 20 quotes he is so overrated ughhhh

This. For example, Bloom believes Shakespeare invented the modern human consciousness. The fact that critiques of this position focus on historical evidence, evolutionary biology, or Bloom's overvaluation of the effect of art and *not* that Shakespeare's works are deficient or incapable of this feat shows you the heights of his greatness.

I agree with the replies above. Does anyone else here have no overrated authors in the western canon? I read an assortment of plays, tomes, and novels from the canon last year and I find it hard not to dislike any of them.

Hard to dislike*

it means you're a patrician

I think Hemingway is overrated.

white cismale scum

>Only read English literature

Salinger

This piece of shit almost killed my love of reading.

you first
shakespeare create the Human, you fucking idiot

Really? I read it like ten years ago and it got me into lit. I owe my love of the classics to that book. Why do you not like it?

sage

Nice try OP

Why?

Hemingway is overrated to a horrific point.

I don't like all that interpretation shit. If a story isn't interesting at face value, it isn't worth reading to me.

Pure cancer

>DUDE TOTALITARIANISM LMAO

Those are good for teenagers, but that's it.

I don't think Huxley is overrated because I don't think of him with such immense acclaim as other authors.

He is very good and I enjoyed Island more.

I think it's impossible to make an accurate judgement of Shakespeare. English has evolved so much from when his works were written. So even if you read it it's like reading a paper in Swahili.

BNW is true freedom desu, you don't even need to think anymore

It's practically a novella user, and why? I thought Chillingworth's non-confession to Hester and spooky loli were some pretty standout parts

I know 50 Shades and My Struggle are really popular with the female audience, but I find them just about average in quality and overly long-winded.