Should I read Paradise Lost even though I am not religious and never read the Bible? Is it still worth it?

Should I read Paradise Lost even though I am not religious and never read the Bible? Is it still worth it?

Should I read Crime & Punishment even though I have never murdered anyone with an axe? Is it still worth it?

rev up your fedora

You should read the Book of Genesis (KJV translation) before reading PL, yeah.

Should I read A Song of Ice and Fire even though I'm not royalty and don't plan on playing the game of thrones? Is it still worth it?

Should I comment on this post with derision and meanness even though you're just asking a question? Is it still worth it?

yes.
even if you're not religious you should at least read Genesis, Job, Ecclesiastes, Isaiah then The Gospels, and Revelations.
that's probably less than 100 pages and very relevant to Western literature

Tbh you should read the bible even if you're not religious

Seconded.
Also how did you desu

Tbh desu

It has something to do with the position

desu Maybe the shift Tbh

Kek

desu that would make sense desu

no read the bible first

It's pretty good desu.

It's just a religiously inspired fantasy story

Atleast read Genesis first

It's an easy read

Should I read Paradise Lost even though my understanding of the Christ follows Catholic orthodoxy and not, like Milton, an Arian position?

100% yes. The war in Heaven is some dope shit

also this

READ THE DAMN BIBLE

If only to realize you'll never write poetry as well as the blind guy who wrote it.

*unlike Milton

No.

Make sure to get an edition with annotations/notes so that you will understand the references.

Be sure not to do this unless you're a retard.
I mean, notes and analyses are fine, but deliberately worrying about "getting references" is fucking pseud.

It's Grade-A fanfiction. That is to say it's pretty good baka desu sempai

Fast by the Oracle of God; I thence
Invoke thy aid to my adventrous Song,
That with no middle flight intends to soar
Above th' Aonian Mount, while it pursues
Things unattempted yet in Prose or Rhime.

What is the Aonian Mount? Why would you not want to know what that is when you read this? I know what it is, but plenty of people do not and would benefit by having an annotated edition. Most people do not receive a classical or religious education today. They lack the knowledge that would have been common among Milton's readers.

how come normies say satan is the good guy?

>If I'm not religious
That's fine it's great either way.
>And never read the Bible
Absolutely not. You should read the Bible first as its the key to most of the greatest works in the Western canon

Yes. Milton's pretty shit compared to Dante, Homer, and Shakespeare though