Near Future Hard Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk

I'm a big fan of Charles Stross and William Gibson. Can anyone recommend any other works by other authors in the same vein?

Bonus points for: economic warfare, corporate espionage, grey-area mercenaries, anti-censorship hackers, personal revenge/vendettas, future drugs/pharmaceuticals, China/Taiwan/Russia cyber warfare.

Other urls found in this thread:

lulu.com/shop/anonymous-cloud/radioactive-wasteland/paperback/product-23031388.html
youtube.com/watch?v=tCRPUv8V22o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

infowars

Isn't that a /pol/ website

Islands in the net

no it's a paleo-libertarian political muckraking website which shows our cyberpunk world as it really is

/pol/ thinks they have allies in alex jones because he prefers trump and classical liberalism to clinton and globalist-neo liberalism.

but when the alt-right concentration camps start springing up alex jones will be the first one to warn us.

Nonfiction, but if you're into near-future speculation on warfare you might want to check out Gwynne Dyer's books. Literally cyberpunk but (potentially) real.

He's a literal snake oil salesman lol

>not taking Super Male Vitality
i bet you're drinking fluoridated water too

I assume you read Halted State already? Too bad he isn't continuing the series after Rule 34 because reality became too real and he said there was no point in continuing.

Coincidentally, Chelsea Manning was pardoned today.

Linda Nagata's The Red might be what you want, it's a very near future series about cyborg soldiers fighting PMCs over stuff. A rogue AI and privacy related stuff features in the plot. The main character got arrested at a privacy/digital rights demonstration and was given a choice between the military or prison IIRC.

The Mirrored Heavens series by David J. Williams (writer of the Homeworld series apparently) is interesting but not that great IMO. It's kinda confusingly written, I think everything that happens in the 3 books is supposed to take place over the course of 72 hours.

WATER FILTERS!

How is The Red? Sounds interesting, but potentially muddled. Has anyone read it?

Neal Stephenson: Snow Crash

I () read all of them a couple months back, and as I recall they stay pretty solid throughout.

I've been wanting to read this for a while.

Just play Metal Gear Solid

Keep them coming and throw in some conspiracy and modern day espionage.

Is Illuminatus trilogy worth reading?

>Is Illuminatus trilogy worth reading?

Yes. The plot will eventually get boring if you're only in it for the goofy conspiracy stuff though. You have to read it as if all the magic is real. When the characters do a meditation technique or initiation, you're meant to do that yourself.

It's a comic, not actually literature (though I did find out about it here on Veeky Forums) but you might like Tokyo Ghost.

True Names by Vernor Vinge

> Charles Stross
> Accelerando
> first chapter, the protagonist is tied up with a buttplug up his ass
>
> Rule 34
> first chapter, the cops find a guy dead with a buttplug up his ass

ah, i'm probably imagining it.

it's very sixties. it's really, really sixties. at one point RAW is going into raptures over a nude woman's full, luxuriant bush of pubic hair.

even then you could tell Bruce Sterling wanted to get away from the idea of cyberpunk.

"The Caryatids" is much better, simply because of sisters who are clones of a Serbian warlord and who absolutely hate each other and each one is a fuckup incapable of having a normal relationship with anyone, no matter what part of the world they live in.

what's stopping you? his incredible disdain for anyone who isn't an engineer and who hasn't written their own OS?

The Kovacs series by Richard Morgan. Start with Altered Carbon as a Netflix series of it is coming out soon.

Stross is a freak. Glasshouse is his best.

lulu.com/shop/anonymous-cloud/radioactive-wasteland/paperback/product-23031388.html

Hard Wired
Revolt in 2100 by Robert Heinlein

May be a little to far in the future for what you're looking for, but I love them

teasdfasfsd

Reamde by Stephenson
Limit by Schatzing

Not eccellent books but maybe they suit your taste

pkd

The only books by pkd that somewhat suit this genre are Ubik and Do androids...

I need some Oriental cyberpunk. Preferably China/Japan/Korea. Dystopies are welcomed.

I'd read this too, but I'd want it to be written from a cultural insider's perspective.

Cyberpunk should be an extrapolation of today's problems as left unchecked in the tomorrow, and to really sell it you need that insider perspective to tap into the genuine insecurities of a people and make the read harrowing enough to deserve the label "Punk".

a scanner darkly

The windup girl

apparently cyberpunk is hard to pull off.

The main allegory in The Caryatids got tiring pretty fast (one sister is europe, the other america, the third is China and the one you never heard of is the 3rd world). Only the China section is actually interesting because it's the only one where Sterling bothered to create a narrative.
Islands is better as a novel and as a post cyberpunk work.

Any cyberpunk involving motorcycle gangs not named Akira?

Reamde is really bad.

Do it!
Such a great book.

>Is Illuminatus trilogy worth reading?
Meh. It has its merits, but worth reading? Questionable.

>Reamde by Stephenson
Second

Reamde or Snow Crash by Stephenson both had Asian flavor

Not "really bad" but my least favorite of his books.

Which one was the Dispensation? and which one was Acquis?

> MUH GUNS

Dubs confirms I should check this out.

Can be bothered to remember 2bh
The one that lives in yurop is yurop and so on and so on...

Then again half of the fun of other Sterling's books are the allegories.
For example the all-girls pop group in Zeitgeist is called G7 and has songs like "Do as i say (not as i do)"

The works of Shadowrun and Eclipse Phase may be of interest to you.

Eclipse Phase sourcebooks (including supplements such "Transhuman" [2013] and "Panopticon" [2011]) as are entirely free online courtesy of their publishing company, Posthuman Studios, via a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 License (CC BY-NC-SA).

If you're particularly interested in cyberpunk themes related to hacking, surveillance, and corprorate espionage, "Panopticon" (2011) (ISBN: 978-0-9845835-4-6) is a solid choice. It also was nominated for a 2012 ENie Award [sic] for Best Writing.

I loved this book but it doesn't really fit this genre(it's not even "proto-cyberpunk" like Do androids...)
Let's say it's the equivalent of an action movie...also like in Snowcrash the "virtual" part of the plot it's better than the real one imho

xx chromosome or sissy faggot detected

Did anyone here play Shadowrun btw?

This book was very, OK. I didn't think it was anything special and really I thought it was inferior to gibson's trilogy which wasn't that great either. There really is a lack of quality cyberpunk fiction. Hopefully the next decade or two will see more contemporary/cyberpunk lit published.

I played it and enjoyed all 3 stories. I'd recommend it.

Tbh I feel like every cyberpunk book I've read is inferior to the ghost in the shell movies/tv seasons. They actually explore philosophical/political/economic ramifications of cyberpunk themes whereas everything else I've read was just cyberpunk flavored masturbatory action/sci-fi fiction.

Me too. Specifically, the original cut of the first film. Also, Akira. And Neuromancer. I'm planning on reading Snowblind here soon because of this thread. I feel like cyberpunk peaked a long time ago. You could argue that The Matrix was a refinement of the genre in idea, but there was no realized cyberpunk worlds like the previously aforementioned works.

this

No one has mentioned Burning Chrome? For shame.

Have you guys read Accelerando? It's really good. At least parts of it are. The final act goes off the rails. But the first act takes place in the near future, and it's really interesting.

Agreed
GOAT of Cyberpunk

Do any of you all listen to music while reading? Pic related is my go-to cyberpunk listening.

>Oneohtrix Point Never: Rifts

this
( ((t*4)*(((t>)&1)?1:0)*(((t>)&8)?0:1) + (t*2)*(((t>)&1)?1:0)*(((t>)&128)?0:1) +(t*4)*(((t>)&1)?1:0)*(((t>)&128)?1:0) + (t*sin(t)*(((t>)&4)?1:0)*(((t>>>10)&1)?1:0))) % 256) * (7/10)

youtube.com/watch?v=tCRPUv8V22o

wtf is this?

>Revolt in 2100 by Robert Heinlein

Heinlein is one of the things the Cyberpunks were rebelling against.

hardly.

* Domineering mega-corporations

* CEO without empathy who will fuck anyone over to get slightly richer

* hard-bitten street samurai muscle. must be disdainful woman who has seen it all

* weak, pale guy who is an expert with computers. comes through in the end and saves the day

* emotionless corporate shill who carries out the CEO's orders. dies on the second last page in a fight with street samurai.

* several disposable second bananas; drug dealers, pimps, whores, bartenders, taxi drivers, fences, hardware dealers, school crossing attendants, etc.

plot: coporation develops thing, rival steals it, CEO orders shill to get it back, shill hires weak pale guy and samurai. they try to get thing back, fail, try again, fail, try something that can't work, it does, they don't give the thing back to the CEO, he vows to have them killed, they feel dissatisfied that the status quo hasn't changed.

set in a dystopian concrete neon jungle where it rains a lot.

K.W.Jeter's "Farewell Horizontal"

>implying

he alredy has popularity with the alt right and he will not bin everything because of his libertarian "principles", he will be another steben bolinyu.

top kek spot on

>Radioactive Wasteland is a philosophical cyberpunk novel set in West City, a sprawling nuclear waste facility in the heart of the Earthsphere, where strange events unfold at the Ground Zero of an imperial invasion led by the forces of Lord Frieza and the Shinra Electric Corporation.

>Heinlein is one of the things the Cyberpunks were rebelling against.

Explain. Specifically, in this novel?

Ok, so a lot of people copy Neuromancer. Not a lot of people pull it off. That's a nice summary though.

What's the best sci-fi novel written since 2000, cyberpunk or no?