Your favorite lines from anything

ITT: Short lines from prose or poetry that remind you how beautiful language is.

No matter what writer you like or where you stand politically, we can all agree that language is a beautiful fucking thing.

I'll start. Four lines from Gil Orlovitz:

"I shall not want my death so soon.
For even Asylum takes of the world for being,
Even Asylum goes mad with winter, summer, autumn, and spring.
And my children will change into men."

Show me what you got Veeky Forums. I want some lines to keep in my head.

"It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan."
Gets me every time.

Where is that one from?

the bible

Here's one i recently memorized:

"Draw in your head, alone and too tall here.
Your eyes already in the slant of drifting foam;
your breath sealed by the ghosts i do not know:
draw in your head and sleep the long way home."

But me they'll lash me in hammock, drop me deep.
Fathoms down, fathoms down, how I'll dream fast asleep.
I feel it stealing now. Sentry, are you there?
Just ease this darbies at the wrist, and roll me over fair,
I am sleepy, and the oozy weeds about me twist.

“It soared, a bird, it held its flight, a swift pure cry, soar silver orb it leaped serene, speeding, sustained, to come, don't spin it out too long long breath he breath long life, soaring high, high resplendent, aflame, crowned, high in the effulgence symbolistic, high, of the ethereal bosom, high, of the high vast irradiation everywhere all soaring all around about the all, the endlessnessnessness

>Dip him in the river who loves water.

He smoked a cigarette, standing in the dark and listening to her undress. She made sea sounds; something flapped like a sail; there was the creak of ropes; then he heard the wave-against-a-wharf smack of rubber on flesh. Her call for him to hurry was a sea-moan, and when he lay beside her, she heaved, tidal, moon-driven.

de bano mihi dic, quare et gerit iste personam
-Vergil

Gets me every time desu sempai.

Guys this is off topic but Emily Dickinson is hurting my brain right now. Am I retarded?

smut

Virtuten verba putant, ut Lacum ligna

>she heaved, tidal, moon-driven.

what the hell is this from? how do you know gil orlovitz?

God, I love Veeky Forums, but /tv/ has its moments.

The regular vulgarian, I daresay,
Is happier

He sees the stars only
When making water

"Battle unites men, apathy only separates them"

Can't remember the name of the poem itself but it's from a collection called "Couldn't say, might be love."

Saw him mentioned on here a few times. His stuff is hard to find because his kids won't allow his stuff to be reprinted. But he's an interesting poet.

That's a nice one. What is it from? Can't find it.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf tormented shore
And hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand
How few! Yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep
While I weep - while I weep
Oh God! Can I not grasp
them with a tighter clasp?
Oh God! Can I not save
/one/ from the perilous wave?
Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?

That is one childish rhyming scheme. I cannot take this poem seriously.

It is at work everywhere, functioning smoothly at times, at other times in fits and starts. It breathes, it heats, it eats. It shits and fucks. What a mistake to have ever said the id. Everywhere it is machines — real ones, not figurative ones: machines driving other machines, machines being driven by other machines, with all the necessary couplings and connections.

“If we affirm one moment, we thus affirm not only ourselves but all existence ... and if our soul has trembled with happiness and sounded like a harp string just once, all eternity was needed to produce this one event - and in this single moment of affirmation all eternity was called good, redeemed, justified, and affirmed.”

"And then there was Twisk, who usually appeared as an orange-haired maiden wearing a gown of gray gauze. One day while wading in the shallows of Tilhilvelly Pond, she was surprised by the troll Mangeon. He seized her about the waist, carried her to the bank, ripped away the gray gauze gown and prepared to make an erotic junction. At the sight of his priapic instrument, which was grotesquely large and covered with warts, Twisk became frantic with fear. By dint of jerks, twists and contortions she foiled the best efforts of the sweating Mangeon. But her strength waned and Mangeon's weight began to grow oppressive. She tried to protect herself with magic, but in her excitement she could remember only a spell used to relieve dropsy in farm animals, which, lacking better, she uttered, and it proved efficacious. Mangeon's massive organ shriveled to the size of a small acorn and became lost in the folds of his great gray belly.

Mangeon uttered a scream of dismay, but Twisk showed no remorse. Mangeon cried out in fury: "Vixen, you have done me a double mischief, and you shall do appropriate penance."

He took her to a road which skirted the forest. At a crossroads he fashioned a kind of pillory and affixed her to this construction. Over her head he posted a sign: DO WHAT YOU WILL WITH ME and stood back. "Here you stay until three passersby, be they dolts, lickpennies or great earls, have their way with you, and that is the spell I invoke upon you, so that in the future you may choose to be more accommodating to those who accost you beside Tilhilvelly Pond."

- Jack Vance, "Lyonesse"

I love Alyoshas whole funeral speech, it's so silly and heartwarming. Everytime i'm depressed i read his chapters and feel better
“You must know that there is nothing higher and stronger and more wholesome and good for life in the future than some good memory, especially a memory of childhood, of home. People talk to you a great deal about your education, but some good, sacred memory, preserved from childhood, is perhaps the best education. If a man carries many such memories with him into life, he is safe to the end of his days, and if one has only one good memory left in one's heart, even that may sometime be the means of saving us.”

Probably. Shes pseudo-deep, ribcage tat tier

Snip snap tityly whack
Big tity tity bang bang sitting on a dick
Trying to play a pimp on a fifteen strip
Hoes play with me weekly
Oh a hoe plays with my peepee