Hello, recently started reading some books about political theory...

Hello, recently started reading some books about political theory. So far i read The Prince and Two Treatises of Goverment by John Locke.
Now i want to read more about state organization and Separation of powers, should i continue with Leviathan by Hobbes or with Montesquieu's "Of The Spirit of The Laws"?
Is Leviathan just a book defending Absolute Monarchies?

Thank you in advance

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/09/29/science-shows-thomas-hobbes-was-right--which-is-why-the-right-wi/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Leviathan began the foundation of liberal, democratic thought.

Very puzzled why you didn't just start with Leviathan, Locke and Rousseau and whoever are impossible to fully understand without Hobbes. Actually, read the Prince before you do anything else.

>Very puzzled why you didn't just start with Leviathan, Locke and Rousseau and whoever are impossible to fully understand without Hobbes. Actually, read the Prince before you do anything else.

Thank you user , i already read the prince, i will go for Hobbes next then. Any other essential books about the subject?

Leviathan is more about power adapting to social change. Get a background in these guys, particularly Rousseau, then study the French Revolution in depth. Everything has been a derivative of it as an event.

I agree with what said, the French Revolution is an absolute must, I learned more about political science by reading about the French Revolution than I did reading any one theorist.

I absolutely ADORE Burke, his Reflections on the Revolution in France is fantastic, and I fancy de Maistre a lot too, but he's very very fringe a lot of hippies will call you a fascist for reading him (they're WRONG).

I had to read Emile by Rousseau for school once, I hated it because he rambles like a mother fucker, but if you're interested in communism (as opposed to Marxist Communism, the one everybody is familiar with) you should give it a shot (maybe a heavily annotated or abridged version would be best).

Thank you anons, i will totally follow your advices. Really excited to read all of that :)

Read Thucydides. 'The History of the Peloponnesian War' is the prince if it were a narrative

When you've gotten through Hobbes, Locke, and Rousseau (who discuss theory, at the end of the day) be sure to read Tocqueville too.

Wrong.

telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/09/29/science-shows-thomas-hobbes-was-right--which-is-why-the-right-wi/

Don't fucking read Emile tho, that's didactical garbage, The Social Contract is Rousseau's must

has anyone here read pic related? Is it any good?

Is Hobbes /ourguy/ ?

*blocks your path*
*criticises your revolution*

>Women
Dropped.

First 3 chapters are good, but afterwards it gets very samey

>should i continue with Leviathan by Hobbes
If you understand it yes, if no then don't, mainly because it's very difficult and would require you to study it to get most of the arguments.
You should also read Mill's On Liberty; and Law, liberty and Morality by H. L. A. Hart as they are often considered good beginners in political philosophy and their arguments are very common in political theory

Leviathan is autism

this poster is autistic leviathan is the antithesis of classical liberalism

>Leviathan is autism
This. Theres literally not one worthwhile idea in leviathan. Once you discredit the SON as a bs idea, the rest of the book falls apart.

If you want to understand the American form of government and soceity you need to read two books: The Federalist Papers and de Tocqueville's Democracy in America.

>Leviathan began the foundation of liberal, democratic thought
But according to Hobbes, since the Soverign powers take on a sort of meta SON between eachother, the best thing would be to have a singular soverign power. Hobbes didnt really advocate to strongly for any specific type of government as far as I know, but his ideas are more supportive of authoritarianism

>start a political philosophy class this quarter
>realize that every single political philosopher is spooked the fuck out
Is there ANY non spooky political philosophies? Im starting to believe anarchy is the only way

bump