Chemistry student here...

Chemistry student here. How do I make chem sound cool to others when physics has all the celebrity scientists and big projects?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briggs–Rauscher_reaction
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belousov–Zhabotinsky_reaction
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Make that compound (or whatever) that constantly changes colour. You might say "but user, that's completely vacuous and doesn't really demonstrate chemistry", to which I say "neither do those 'celebrity scientists'". As for the large projects, literally 99.9% of people lost interest in them when I explained that the Higgs boson doesn't [math] all [/math] matter mass, just 3 bosons that belong to the electroweak interaction.

I'm a math grad. When someone asks what I do and I tell them, the only response I ever hear is "I hate math."

I would actually prefer the neutral opinion that chemistry would have.

Let them read Lowe's "Things I Won't Work With"

i agree, do an experiment if you can. iodine clock is good.

I'm going into math. Is it really as bad as everyone says it is?

It depends on the kind of person I'm talking to in my experience. People outside academia assume it's boring, other students usually react with "wow that's really hard".

What compound is this?
t. non-chemistry expert

You don't, chemistry is gay and physics is superior and basically you should feel like a piece of shit brainlet

Universal indicator solution probably?

This en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briggs–Rauscher_reaction

yes

Tell them that chemistry is about the transformation of matter.
Just sperg out. Don't meme.
Also this.

>How do I make chem sound cool to others
Who cares if it sounds cool to others? If doing cool work is important to you -- and, you think the work that you're doing is cool -- that's all that matters.

>when physics has all the celebrity scientists and big projects?
The celebrity "scientists" aren't really scientists. No one past the undergraduate level respects them as scientists or views their contributions as meaningful. Don't confuse "pop sci" nonsense with scientific advancements that legitimately push their field(s) forward.

Yes, mix up a chemical oscilator.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belousov–Zhabotinsky_reaction

Ask them how making drugs and explosives isn't cool as shit

Well as George Whitesides puts it: "[Chemists] change the way you live and die."

I don't know user, maybe Breaking bad?

crystals, explosions, drugs, pretty colors

Learn the mechanisms and procedures to make drugs, explosives and chemical weapons. The mechanism to synthesize Mustard gas was literally explain in my Ochem book.

Then explain with a casual air - "methamphetamine is piss easy to make, one just takes this and that and cooks it a bit and then you can get high as balls for the price of some house hold supplies."

People like hearing about that shit. For the more scientifically minded, talk about physical chemistry and shit

Well, almost everything requires some chemistry knowledge to make. Look at a bottle of spaghetti sauce, even it requires a chemical engineer to make sure it can be mass produced without spoiling on the shelf.

Chemistry isnt a "rockstar" science, its basically the science of everyday life. Well, there are fringe examples that are teetering on physics like making new elements and shit.

Gonna hitchhike this thread, bruh.

How do I make an ammonium salt out of this? Just use dilute HCl in water?

Fuck you, get out

homework

Gotta make it hardddd

Tell them you're gonna be breaking bad xD

Just make up some shit that sounds cool and believable depending on your field

>biochemistry
>we make drugs lmao

>chemical engineering
>I suck dicks lmao

>geochemistry
>we mine gold lmao

>forensic chemistry
>I solve murders lmao

Biochemistry has nothing to do with making drugs. That's pharmacology or organic chemistry.

>EE
>dude current lmao

>CE
>dude chips lmao

>physics
>dude gibs lmao

>chemistry
>dude flashcards lmao