What were the sophists and why did Plato and Socrates hated them so much?

What were the sophists and why did Plato and Socrates hated them so much?

They charged money for education rather than subsisting from voluntary donations.

Ie they were acting in their own interest over the interest of truth.

The sophists were expensive college education

Plato and Socrates were Veeky Forums shitposters

The sophists were great
Literally great
Socrates and Plato were just buttmad
Protagoras said nothing wrong

History repeats itself.

The sophists weren't spooked by platonic memes and this infuriated poor plato.

this is actually kinda true

sophists were fags who charged money to teach others how to be convincing orators

socrates was a non-malicious irl shitposter who goaded people for fun but also to lead them towards the truth.

Who was Diogenes and why did he think Plato and Aristotle were fags?

Protagoras was very convincing, a real testament of the Sophists.

One of very few who had more to say than, "Yes, I agree, Socrates."

A historian. He was the first greek to discover straw

When a group of people find a way to make some money and live their lives successfully, there'll be some poor fucks who'll detest them and call them evil. In this case, those poor fucks were Socrates and Plato.

While Socrates was walking the streets with no sandles and with clothes that he's been wearing for the entire year, the Sophists were making money in order to live a good life with their families. Socrates was such an ugly and miserable cunt. He always acted as if he's holier than thou. Deserved his death.

Plato. I don't take him seriously, so I don't need to discuss him. But he's a miserable cunt too like his master. You just have to laugh at his intellect when he said man was a featherless biped only to have Diogenes blow the fuck out of him.

Childhood is idolising Socrates, Adulthood is realising he got what was coming to him

terrible post
canadian by any chance?

No, although I do have relatives who emigrated to there so there is clearly some genetic basis for my post quality

If you're really asking, it's because they were relegating philosophy to the realm of the useful, thus making it not philosophical. Protagoras is about this.

If you're meme asking it's because Socrates had blue balls from turning down Alcibiades and Protagoras was lookin thicc and needed to be dominated mentally b4 he could be entered.

t. asian living in vancouver

that was not worth screencapping

I was really asking. What do you mean by 'the realm of the useful'

>socrates was a non-malicious irl shitposter

Er, I wouldn't call "corrupting the youth" non-malicious.

They would teach you how you can convince other people that your points are correct, rather than how to actually make points that ARE correct.

The workaday world that consumes most of our lives, including the social mechanism. Meeting our needs so that we can go on surviving.

Philosophy is the act of transcending that 'common need' world, and thinking of something that has a place in the whole of reality, not just answering the question of 'what purpose' does it serve.

If you're going to build a society you need architects in order for the buildings to stand aright, scientists in order to research medicine, etc. You don't have philosophers 'in order to' do anything. That is the point: philosophy is not a part of the workaday world.

Protagoras is trying to teach a useful philosophy that answers the 'in order to' question. The problem is that when people study this sort of pseudo philosophy they never actually transcend the workaday world. They're still thinking of meeting their needs.

This is Socrates' problem with the sophists; they're basically tricking the would be philosophers into practicing a pseudo philosophy that prevents them from ever discovering real philosophical wonder.

Sophists
>Expensive
>Teach you how to be full of shit
>"Upper class"
>Social Status

Socratics
>Shitposting
>Trolling
>Normies hate them
>For the most part are always right

"Corrupting the youth" into questioning their environment, values and social structures?
Yes, I can see how the state would find that unforgivable.

After all, their control is predicated upon not being questioned.

If you're good at something, never do it for free. Rephrased, only the fool does for free that for which he can get paid.

So this very first reply immediately tells me that the sophists were, being wiser, better.