Got these today because I'm a conformist pleb

Got these today because I'm a conformist pleb.
>but everyone tells me to read it!
I promise I'll take a chance next time for a random book but I just couldn't resist.
Inb4 bad translations

bad translations

Why does everyone hate me?

>not getting the penguin classics
neck yourself my dude

"Vergil" lol

But seriously, go slow. Understand that every little thing is imbued with meaning: the bird flying north is an omen of victory, the battles between the gods parallel those between men, etc.

You didn't read this stuff in school?

You most likely read an abridged version in school. The real ones are over 500 pages each.

Who spells Virgil like that

>"Vergil" lol
What, you'd prefer "Virgil"?

Cos you're a tripfag.

i prefer weregil

>he doesn't know what a trip is

Don't let people give you shit about translations. Just read them and enjoy.

Also, I recommend you read (if you haven't already) Edith Hamilton's mythology.

>pic related

It will make the reading more smooth.

Latin fag

>vergil

>Don't let people give you shit about translations. Just read them and enjoy.
I see you've never been afflicted by Lawrence's translation of the Odyssey.

(Lawrence is teh suck. Chapman is teh win.)

Who the fuck is George Herbert Palmer? Did they just get some dude that works at B&N to translate these?

HIS NAME WAS PALMER

Is pic related just a summation of other myths?

God that start with the Greeks flowchart is embarrassing; Edith Hamilton's Mythology is great if you're 14 or fell off a turnip truck

Also Vergil is the correct spelling. Devil May Cry popularized this horrible trend of Virgil... lol

>God that start with the Greeks flowchart is embarrassing; Edith Hamilton's Mythology is great if you're 14 or fell off a turnip truck
W-why?

No... It didn't.

>just a summation of
It mostly retells stories, and summarizes information relating to the mythologies.
>other myths
Part four is about The Trojan War, The Odyssey and The Aeneid.

Dunno why that guy said it, but you can find more complete and seemingly accurate information relating to greek and roman mythology on wikipedia (and if that seems sketchy or unsatisfying, by visiting the external links.) It's also very boring to read.

Is Chapman's a good translation?

You can pick up pretty much all of the Greek mythology you need to read Homer in the books themselves, especially if you get a version with good notes. Encouraging people to read a tome on it before hand, half of which is just a summary of Homer, is counterproductive!

It's a free translation, which it has to be, if you're going to make a formal poem in English from the source material.

For example, Chapman uses iambic pentameter in his Odyssey, which is much better suited to English than dactylic hexameter. His Iliad is structured in great, sinewy, heptameters. The rhyming couplets are present and correct in both, though.

It's not the most precise translation by any means, but Chapman was an accomplished poet who dedicated his life to Homer.

>Vergil

Piggybacking. How are these translations especially count?

Briggs translation is good for yuri fans, and overall.

Other popular one is the anonymous one.

What the fuck is wrong with Vergil?

>Stoner
>Translation

Is it even necessary to slog through these things anymore? I feel like it's mostly common knowledge.