How is it D?

How is it D?

1/4 = 3/12
1/3 = 4/12

3/12 + 4/12 = 7/12
so, 7/12 is not shaded.
Now, we just subtract from 1 to find the part that IS shaded

1 - 7/12 = 5/12

[eqn]1 \,-\, \frac14 \,-\, \frac13 \,=\, \frac{12}{12} \,-\, \frac3{12} \,-\, \frac4{12} \,=\, \frac{12 \,-\, 3 \,-\, 4}{12} \,=\, \frac5{12}[/eqn]
So, how's 4th grade going, OP?

Veeky Forums, we hit the new low

cause yo momma wants my D

It's B you fucking retard. 1/3 + 1/4 = 2/7, and that's not shaded, so 4/7 must be shaded.

Kill yourself

Boutta start college and just noticed I suck at fractions and percentages so i'm studying this shit

>college
What college are you planning to go to and what major are you entering that doesn't require you to know 3rd grade math?
I mean, I like to think most people can make it in academia, and I don't know your life's circumstances (though I would assume you're American and not some poor third worlder since you said college and not university), but if you've gone at least 18 years of your life without mastering something most people are taught when they're around 8, I don't even know what to say.

>can ace Calc III and diff eq
>don't know what the hell is going on here

How do people know what operation to perform? I see no clarification.

I don't understand how you don't immediately know the answer is 5/12.

and 1/3 + 1/4 =/= 2/7

1/3 + 1/4 = 7/12

Use some critical thinking. By observation the shaded area is less than half therefore 5/7, 4/7, and 7/12 simply cannot be the answer.
The only answer that isn't greater than 1/2 is 5/12.

Now if we had more possible answers that where less than 1/2 you need to give it more considerations but you should immediately know it's 5/12.

>>calling someone a retard
>>can't add two fractions

So yeah.......

I'm sorry, but there's no way you can do integration without knowing how to subtract the little number from the big number.

Go back to elementary fucking retard

>>can plug and play but will never be a good engineer because can't apply even basic reasoning.

I see two ways to find the answer, the first which is less methodical. I see that the black space is less than half the box (without saying by how much) but I also see 4 multiple choice answers and three of which are greater than a half therefore they can't possibly be the answer.

Thus the only answer that remains is 5/12

Or you can simply consider that the entire box is 1 and realize that 1/4+1/3+black spot is equal to 1.
So 1 - 1/4 - 1/3 = 5/12 which confirms our previous answer/guess and would find the answer if it wasn't multiple choice.

But then again I guess there's a difference between memorizing processes and being able to solve a problem. Anyone can ace undergrad math but obviously you can't apply 3rd grade math.

>implying the figure is drawn to scale.
If you're comfortable with numbers, you know the two fractions are >.5 but then you'd just do the calculation in the first place. Algorithms aren't alays the most efficient but they work so stick with them

If you can't do this then university will take advantage of you until you can't "spend" anymore money.
Get a certificate elsewhere instead.

No we hav-
...Never mind.

Did you quote the right comment?
Or is that some sort of rebuttal?

God damn you look like a stupid asshole.

What high school let you slip by?
I'm serious. These fuckers need to be put in their place.

Whatever high school it is, the world needs to know how fucking worthless their diploma is.

Sick as fuck of seeing "college" algebra, and even fucking "college" pre-algebra classes. It's an embarrassment to higher education everywhere.

1/4 + 1/3 = 3/12 +4/12 = 7/12
12/12 - 7/12 =5/12

>this whole thread
Oh come on, OP, this is entry-level 4th grade math. You shouldn't go anywhere near a college if you can't solve this hyperpleb shit.

First of all I completely agree with you, my situation is completely retarded. I also don't know how I've gone this far as a math brainlet.

I never payed attention in class, I'd always daydream even when I tried to pay attention and it was very frustrating. I was also very timid and beta my whole life. Second semester of senior year was when i finally starting paying a little more attention and asking questions but by then it was too late. I've also always been a procrastinator so even if I told myself I was gonna teach myself math someday soon I never got around to it.

This might seem incredibly stupid but I'm entering as an Engineering major, my goal is to transfer to UCSD and do Bioengineering. My dream is to become a Biomedical Engineer. Everyone calls me a fucking retard and they're probably right but I'm not giving up before I've even started or even actually tried. Also, learning and understanding math is pretty fun. My main inspiration is my father who didn't start Highschool until he was 18 and didn't start University until he was 25 but still managed to become a very good veterinarian and animal surgeon.

I wish.

I'm going to try joining an Electrician Apprenticeship while in college just in case.

I know but I've learned how to do it now. I think I'm a fast learner. I have to be.

Thank you

Trust me, I know how that is. My first math class in uni was intermediate algebra. Took a long time to get to diffeq and i was terrible at math until calc 1.

>>Fast learner

You realize that this is a complete lie and engineering courses will assume, not that you took high school algebra and trig but that you are an expert in those subjects.

I want to be there when you take your first real engineering course. I imagine you are one of those faggots who drops out after the first day.

It was so nice to start a nice 33 person circuits theory course and then only have 6 of us after the first exam. This provides for a much more intimate learning experience for those of us who enjoy learning.

I'm sure you'll be a political science major soon enough running around acting like you're smart or a scientist because it has the word "science" in it's name.

>wants to get into enginering
>can't solve babby's first fraction
>will probably graduate either way
Holy fuck, the memes are real. Engineers really are retarded.

The black box could cover 90% of the region and it'd still be 5/12. You never assume the picture is right unless otherwise stated. You gave bad advice. Get over it.

how do u know the whole thing equals 1

It's just a convention that somebody made up, like all of math

been wondering that myself. aren't you supposed to measure the boxes with a ruler and work out some kind of ratio using the fractions?

No, fuck you.

I'm not saying that you should solve your problem by observation but the quick observation should provide a very strong idea of what's going on.
If you did the math and found the picture to not be to scale that's another story but for some assclown to be sitting around saying they have no idea what the answer is when you can see the answer through observation is ridiculous.

It is not bad advice, it's a good starting point.

You on the other hand appear to be a fucking moron. Kill yourself.

How do you NOT know?

You obviously lack the most basic fundamentals.

>>fucking moron.

i guess you can do it that way.. i was going to say it's 1 - 1/4 - 1/3, which is 1 - 0.25 is 0.75, and then 0.75 - 0.333333 which is something like 0.4166666.... and then try to convert that into a fraction somehow.. probably using a calculator.
But your way makes more sense.
I'm a CS student in my 6th semester.

Retard. If 2/7 is shaded, then 5/7 is shaded, not 4/7.
But that isn't an available answer so it must be wrong..

I hate being an American sometimes, knowing all these fucking idiots are eating up my tax dollars getting student loans that they'll never pay back.

If you can't do math you should be picking vegetables in the summer heat like the serf you deserve to be.

You seem to be missing the point.
The actual picture literally means nothing. You can't infer any information at all just by looking at it. That's why you have to do the math. Questions like this are designed to trick you this way, and you fell for it. Good job.

>Boutta start college and just noticed I suck at fractions and percentages
The fact that you were given anything resembling certification for achieving high school equivalency education is absurd and insulting to anyone who actually did earn such accreditations.

>Engineers really are retarded
Thankfully the Licensing of Professional Engineers is gated behind not just completion of recognized accredited degree programs but also rigorous comprehensive nationally standardized exams that weed out those who can practice from those who can't.

>I imagine you are one of those faggots who drops out after the first day.
Nailed it.

Jesus fucking Christ