READ THROUGH FINAL VOTING THREAD

Hello again friends!

We had an amazing turnout at the preliminary vote, consisting of 335 total votes and at least 47 participants!

This is the final vote and will determine what book we will read. Up for the vote are the four most popular books from the previous vote, as well as a few others (Moby Dick, Gravity’s Rainbow, and The Bible to be specific). You are allowed to vote for as many of the books as you want. As with the previous poll, this one will be open for 24 hours, so act quickly!

In this thread, we should also determine when we are starting the chosen book, form an agreeable reading schedule, and create a download URL for those who read on ebooks. If the book is in a language other than english (ex: Crime and Punishment), we should also agree on a translation. If you do not speak english, lo siento, está en su propio.

Godspeed Anons!

>poll
strawpoll.me/12138012

Other urls found in this thread:

users.ipfw.edu/jehle/cervante/csa/artics-f06/mcgrathsf06.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Approval_voting
clickhole.com/blogpost/time-i-spent-commercial-whaling-ship-totally-chang-768
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I bought Gravity's Rainbow last week and i've already read DQ, C&P, Moby Dick and IJ.

So please anons, do me a favour, don't make me buy Blood Meridian.

Vote GR, you know it's the right thing to do.

Love, user.

I think out of sheer practicality we're gonna have to push the start date to early February at the earliest. Even if we can decide today which edition to read, some people are gonna have to order their copy online (I just assume people are willing to shill out for a physical book while I know a good chunk of us read on their computers or tablets/e-readers).

As for a reading schedule, we'll have to see once the voting is over but generally 30-40 pages a day is a good pace where we can get it done by the month while also allowing us time and room to discuss the passages.

This guy here.
This sounds good to me, i've still got 300 pages of Ulysses to go so i should be ready come February.

Vote GR, folks.

Oxen of the Sun?

Vote Moby Dick or your mom will die tonight.

Nice spanish you got there dumbass

Estoy en mi propio?

I've read all this shit, it's all Veeky Forumscore. What the fuck is this garbage? Mutiny now.

I was trying to say that "you are on your own"? I don't see any problem with that. Then again, my Spanish is a bit rusty

Needlessly harsh from my part.
You are on your own would be "Estas solo"

>You are allowed to vote for as many of the books as you want.

why?

Becuase this is a democracy you commie fuck

My thinking was that if you could vote for multiple books, people would be more likely to actually read the book. Maybe if your first choice doesn't win, your second choice will?

Arriving there, i'm actually looking forward to it. My favourite chapter so far was Proteus, read it four times now. I like how demanding and rewarding it was, really makes a reader work for every bit of beauty.

Fuck, this was for you actually.

>tfw inifinite meme and the holy meme are getting BTFO

>not pulling for DQ for wacky adventures or Moby Dick for the greatest nautical story to have ever been told

I don't know if there's some kind of imagined pressure about "getting" or understanding everything in a book on a first read-through, but my favourite parts of reading Joyce, Proust, Melville, Faulkner, Stendhal were rereading and arriving at an understanding on my own rather than reading an academic essay or summary guide that covers the basic points.

Eh, I think a better translation would be "estas por tu propia cuenta", rather than "estas solo", to fit the context.
Sorry for the nitpicking.
t. Native Spanish Speaker.

I was thinking we might tack on Paradise Lost to this list!! I have to read the whole thing for class and I think it would be fun to read with Veeky Forums all the while.

that's not how democracy works

Unfortunately the poll has already been published, so I can't add more books. Maybe if you could generate enough interest in it, you could start your own reading group?

Which is why is was reading Proteus 4 times.
I'll be reading a summary on each chapter and analysis after i'm done but i want to form my own thoughts first. I did read a summary and analysis on chapter 1 though, just to get me going, i felt like that was justified for Ulysses, since English is a second language. I'm definitly going to re-read it.

Don Quixote over Moby Dick? Veeky Forums pleb central confirmed.

maybe more people have just read Moby Dick already ;)

Very stoked about this! I hope
Mine wins ^_^

can't argue with that (: desu im reading moby dick rn and wanna read with Veeky Forums frends

Hermano. Estas por tu cuenta suena rarisimo. Apañetalas tu solo quiza sea lo mejor

I voted for everything except the bible.

both are masterpieces, how is Veeky Forums "pleb central"?
you're the one exposing yourself as a pleb

>Apañetalas tu solo
Sí, claro.

best donkey hotay translation?

looks like im going to my local bookseller for dis wan

Smollett

Reading American Psycho, thinking Moby Dick next.

Is that a good transition?

It's definitely an improvement

>183 votes

You faggots better all join the reading group.

Whale penis almost in the lead.

Crime and Punishment was on the original list? It's a great book but it's barely 200 pages and rarely ever exceeds 3 syllables on a word.

183 cast votes, not IPs.

It has IP duplication checking.

I just tried to vote again and it worked

When I try to vote again it says "Your Vote has been Counted! You have already voted on this poll." and the count does not increase.

Don Quixote translations. Which are good, which are bad, and which is best?

>C&P barely 200 pages
>can't tell if stupid or making a joke

After doing some brief research, I found that Grossman is considered to be pretty good. Harold Bloom said that it was the best translation, so take that for what it's worth

>I recommend to anyone who desires a true appreciation of the novel the translations by ODJ and Lathrop.

users.ipfw.edu/jehle/cervante/csa/artics-f06/mcgrathsf06.pdf

>Don Quixote. The Ormsby Translation, Revised. Backgrounds and Sources. Criticism. Edited by Joseph R. Jones and Kenneth Douglas. (Henceforth referred to as ODJ, in the order of the participation of each.) New York: W. W. Norton, 1981.

>Don Quixote. Fourth-Centenary Translation. Trans. and with notes by Tom Lathrop. Illustrated by Jack Davis. Newark, DE: European Masterpieces, 2007.

What happens in the case of a tie? Moby Penis and Don Quixote are really close

I could turn the tide of this vote right now but I won't.

But it really defeats the point.

How so?

It's called Approval voting

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Approval_voting

If the votes are very close we should have one more round of just the two or three options and give people one vote.

C&P > Don Quixote > Moby-Dick.

What's up boys, OP here.

This began to worry me after seeing Moby-Dick and Don Quixote go back and forth a few times.

If the vote is close, but there is still a winner, I think that we should just stick with it. It seems to me that most people who are voting for Moby Dick are also voting for Don Quixote, which should hopefully mean that they would be satisfied with either outcome.

If a tie occurs, I would most likely open another poll (for 24 hours, as usual) with Moby-Dick and Don Quixote and only allow one vote per person

I'm open to suggestions if anyone thinks I should go about this differently.

My suggestion is that we read Moby Dick because it's my birthday.

Happy birthday user!

I will not discard the voting process, however, if the poll results in a tie, we will read Moby-Dick.

Yeah, ok, it's longer than I remember, and I suppose it's equally as difficult as other books Veeky Forums has done (except GR). It's not a bad choice then, at all.

Can Harold Bloom properly read and assess Spanish, or is he just listing random shit again?

And so democracy fails once again

Happy birthday to the user.

It is my birthday tomorrow. I prefer Don Quixote. Thanks in advance!

>#notmyreadinggroup

I don't exactly understand why you are upset. No one is forcing you to read one book or another. If I had to make a guess, you probably voted for both books anyways.

It was just a shitty joke, I'm fine with either choice

Moby Dick sucks, just read this instead to get the basic feeling.

clickhole.com/blogpost/time-i-spent-commercial-whaling-ship-totally-chang-768

C'mon Moby Dickers!

I would really want to do Paradise Lost but please don't take the suggestion to do it congruously with this; I've read Moby-Dick but I will join in if The Dairy Queene wins, because I haven't read it, therefore cutting my reading time. If a Paradife Loft group springs up after, I'll join in.

Call me Winning.

The bible is really getting BTFO

So which translation?

I'm going to read the Grossman one because it's well received as a first read and widely available. If I do a second read I'd go for Lathrop.

The Bible had no chance in the first place. Most people don't want to read the Bible cover to cover.

Moby duck or I walk

I imagine reading the bible alone to be quite boring, it's mainly just letters but reading it with Veeky Forums... i don't know, it would probably turn to nto one big meme

I'll join in if Moby Dick or Don Q, but not if the others. I've read some, doing Bible at own pace and not in for C+P yet.

>people actually voted for Whale Penis: A Story of Nothing.

>Bible getting wrecked
We're doing it lads!

I voted for Don Quixote.

I made it exactly 33% of the way through Moby Dick before getting bored unto death of all the whaling trivia.

Pic related is mfw I got to that part.

I sure hope you like mules.

>OP didn't tick IP duplication checking

Some biblefag is going to proxy spam the bible in 15 minutes, calling it now

since theres a lot of us who wants to read moby dick, is anyone up for another reading group

Alright lads, voting is over. DON QUIXOTE HAS WON BY 3 VOTES!!! I will start a planning thread in a little while. OP btw

I used proxies to bump donny q to the top

I just wanted you to be saved, user.

>wanting to cannibalize a group before it even starts

stop. this is how these things fall apart.

How do we know you're OP and not just Don Quixote supporter. I demand the poll be open for another 2 hours.

I'd be interested if someone else organized it, yeah.

Just wait for the next one, it'll be a month max.

>8995289
Absolutely fucking this

Behead all those who want to create a hundred different reading groups at the same time. You're gonna fuck the whole gig up for everyone.

First thread is up

meant in reply to ()