/comc/ Day 27 The Count of Monte Cristo Read-through

Home straight

Chapters 101 through 105

How did the catch up go?

>Previous thread

chart

>How did the catch up go?

perfect. Story is as captivating as ever.

I can't help but feel Benedetto still has something up his sleeve. I thought he was going to be burned alive in the chimney as retribution for what he did to Bertuccio's step sister

I started reading this ages ago and have slogged through it up to page ~700ish, around where he's just come back from the opera for the first time.

Does it get better? Because I am bored and also slightly bemused at how much of a smug Mary Sue Dantes seems to be.

Page 700 at the opera. Is that still in italy?

IMO it lags a bit in the middle then gets great again nearer then end when all the plotting comes together.

Dantes is a massive mary sue until the end stuff. In regards to smugness it is only when he is talking to the 3 wankers he secretly wants to ruin. I think his relative omnipitence can be excused because the majority of the book isn't actually told from his point of view. He is just this power in the background you are aware of.

>Is that still in italy?
He's embedding himself in France and making introductions and so on.

Maybe read another 100 pages and if you really don't care about what happens to everyone then drop it.

Benedetto deserves punishment by Dantes, but he didn't do anything directly too him so the Count probably doesn't give a shit.

In the voting thread, Moby-Dick and Gravity's Rainbow are #2 and #3, books which the COMC group didn't even nominate.

I don't have a problem with Don Quixote winning, though it is terribly long after just reading W&P and COMC. My hope was that Crime and Punishment would win.

To be quite honest with you, I enjoyed tcomc but I don't want to take part in another read through for a while. My backlog is calling and I don't want to commit to another classic.

bump

anyone else still reading?

Y-yes

Fuck you, guys. I'm gonna finish it today.

this is my aim too. I'm on Chapter 110 I believe.

I done finished too. Excited. I wonder how many people we will have dragged to the end altogether.

I am guessing... 7 (seven)

I'm on chapter 99. will try to read it all when I get up. must sleep now.

oh yeah forgot to say

Today is day 28
Chapters 106 through 111

bump

Ended up finishing this a couple of weeks ago because I was ahead due to not taking rest days and really wanted to read the last third quickly.

Thanks for the group OP, I probably wouldn't have picked this up for ages if nor for it

I'm on Chapter 93
Count me in too
>get it...
>COUNT

I'm done as well. Great book.

Still reading. On chapter 102.

I made a new thread for the post readthrough discussion