Sleep

Redpill me on sleep, Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982207017836
nature.com/neuro/journal/v16/n11/abs/nn.3527.html
researchgate.net/profile/Scott_Orr/publication/23974049_Sleep_Promotes_Generalization_of_Extinction_of_Conditioned_Fear/links/0deec5213a36191f37000000/Sleep-Promotes-Generalization-of-Extinction-of-Conditioned-Fear.pdf
learnmem.cshlp.org/content/10/3/168.short
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982211012486
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

When you sleep you actually wake up

hearty kek

you don't need sleep. sleepiness is just Jews taking your life-force away for shekels to be made.

The interesting thing about sleep is that anyone can do it. You don't even need training or suchlike. Neuroscientists suppose that it's some sort of mechanism embedded into our brains from birth, because the data shows nobody has forgotten how to sleep so far.

sometimes I feel like I'm really bad at it and it sucks :(

That prion disease found a way to fuck with sleep.

Sleeping less correlates with intelligence. Einstein slept for 3 hours a year. I made both of those things up.

Sleep is for slackers. Take drugs and coffee to increase your productivity.

its a nice thing to get some rests
try it sometime? :)

It's for the weak.

*Week

When you're dreaming, you believe your dream is real and you have little memories of your waking life.

When you're awake, you believe your waking life is real and have little memories of dreams.

Now I know you're all awake right now so you assume your waking life is real, but when you're asleep you'll assume your dream is real.
They're both contradictory beliefs that you have every single day/night. How can you be certain which is true?
Is there any scientific proof to support either belief?

>sleep

Its really simple OP, if you feel or think you need more or less of it, you probably do and I think its highly variable how much is optimal although most people seem to fit somewhere between 5-10 hours per 24 cycle

There are a lot of problems like this where we can't truly prove one side, but it's still visibly apparent that one is correct and the other is not

Within dreams there is never a consistent concept called "science" that allows us to scan brains and analyze what's happening to them while people sleep

Within dreams there isn't a consistent concept called "the laws of physics" which are ALWAYS followed without error

Within dreams there isn't a consistent flow of time between the {dream, non-dream} transitions. They pick up randomly and drop off randomly.

For this reason we should heuristically assume dreams are the fake half. For the same reason we don't go around legitimately believing the zombie hypothesis, etc.

I am personally a huge fan of sleep but that is probably because I am so good at it. I don't suffer from meme conditions like sleep apnea and I create the perfect environment for myself (cold room, weighted blanket, white noise from air conditioner and rainymood). Needless to say, I sleep like a fucking log. Usually a solid 7-9 hours every night.

I don't know if it has provided me with any benefits. It did however make me super sensitive to sleep deprivation so I pretty much start to experience something similar to methamphetamine induced psychosis after staying up for a single night.

No joke

>be me
>21 male
>regular exercise and healthy diet
>currently wagecuck over summer
>work in semi stressful environment but am not easily stressed out by things
>fall asleep fast and lasts 7-9 hours with no interruptions or midnight wakings
>wake up between 5:30am and 7:30am naturally (no alarm clock)
>consistently wake up feeling tired (if not more tired than when I went to sleep)
>feel lasts anywhere between 30mins and 1 hour.
Esblain?

It's bullshit the Jews pushed on us

I feel most awake going to bed, and waking up I feel like shit. When I wake up, I feel like how people say they feel after a long day at work. This feeling can last for quite some time, and I'm never really *awake* until late at night.

It's fucking bullshit and destroying my quality of life.

Get back in your drug coffin, Kirkbride.

Its a jew trick dont fall for it

During sleep your glymphatic system fills with cerebrospinal fluid, cleansing your brain of waste products.

Fuck that shit scares me so much

lucid dreaming shows that that is bullshit
I keep a dream journal myself, and the more I dedicate myself to keeping records of my dreams the more I recall.

why do humans get pleasure from sleeping?

More importantly will we ever find a way to not have to sleep or reduce it?
Such a waste of time.

>Redpill me on sleep, Veeky Forums

Sleep in a completely dark and quiet room. Even a small amount of light or sound can cause insomnia. The body notices it. It is the first thing to try before blaming "work stress" or medicating.

>Redpill me
gtfo pill-popping /pol/esmoker

Sleeping too much can make you tired

Optimal sleeping hours depend on the individual and are usually between 4-8 hours

Sleeping 8 hours+ every now and then does not harm you

IMPEACH DRUMPF!!!

Engineering students have no clue what sleep is.

Is there any theory on what makes us dream? I want to dream ore.

Lucid dreaming = remembering your waking life in a dream
Dream recall = remembering your dreams in waking life

In this regard, lucid dreaming and dream recall are complete opposites.

>Sleeping too much
>adults average 4-8 hours normally

What did I do wrong exactly?

I don't dream much. There's the truth.
And my dreams are different almost every time

You basically explained it yourself. Combination of young age (you might be a late bloomer and teenagers and young adults need more sleep for development, 9 hours is typical), malnutrition and physical exhaustion (work + working out).
You're not a robot like capitalism wish you to be. You compare yourself with some idea of perfection you assume is "normal", and you're surprised why it doesn't work.

I'm a neet and I have absolutely no trouble with sleep. 10 to 12 hours is all that I need.

REM sleep is all about fear extinction and is integral in making conditioning work. Other sleep is needed so you produce release gh which heals micro injuries and makes you absorb nutrients.

Some links:

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982207017836

nature.com/neuro/journal/v16/n11/abs/nn.3527.html

researchgate.net/profile/Scott_Orr/publication/23974049_Sleep_Promotes_Generalization_of_Extinction_of_Conditioned_Fear/links/0deec5213a36191f37000000/Sleep-Promotes-Generalization-of-Extinction-of-Conditioned-Fear.pdf

learnmem.cshlp.org/content/10/3/168.short

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982211012486

Also the reason our bodies paralyze itself while we sleep is that dreams are essentially our brains producing the same electrical pattern as an experience while we were awake, but with very very slight variation. Combine this with the principal of synaptic plasticity and it all makes sense, we train our brains on any situation dealing with, say, touching fire, hundreds of times so we know to be afraid of fire, but only in certain events.

what is fear extinction?
why can't nutrients be absorbed and micro injuries healed without sleep?

Going a little further (I woke up only two minutes ago, hence why this is a little jumbled, but I did some research on sleep during my undergrad days when I was getting a degree in neuroscience):

Purging unnecessary fears. Conditioning goes away after a certain amount of time, which is called "extinction". If every time you ate I rang a bell, you'd start to associate the sound of a bell ringing with food, but if I stopped, it would no longer be useful for you to associate those two things together so it would go away. Fear extinction is this concept plus the concept of removing generalized fears, making them more applicable to specific situations. There is also a study (can't remember if I linked it), that showed that the amygdala (which in laymans terms is the "fear part of the brain") had significantly greater activation in response to increasingly "frightening" visual stimuli in people who hadn't gotten sleep in 24 hours vs those who had. This kinda shows what I'm saying.

As for nutrients question:

Given that we share these more "primitive" forms of sleep with lizards and other animals (but not rem sleep, lizards don't dream), I'd say its so you don't exhibit this behavior when you're in a situation that you could get into a fight over. Sleeping takes energy, and generally "should" happen after you've digested food (so that nutrients are present), so it makes sense that it would be associated with immobility so you could find a nice cave to get protected in and sleep, and just focus on healing.

so if a person sleeps alot more it means they feel more fear than other people and their brain has to reduce that more?

I wouldn't say that. Their body could just be less efficient at the sleep process, or a million other factors.

they suck cock all night long

the most you can do is not eat human meat

First part is true but correlation is not causation. People who perform more 'evolutionarily novel' activities tend to sleep less. Only because those activities themselves infringe on the sleep schedule.

No wonder I'm afraid of everything.

>find a nice cave to get protected in and sleep, and just focus on healing.
>not focusing on atk

>Redpill me
gtfo pill-popping /pol/esmoker

>10-12 hours
>all that I need
Whew

It's good for us

As an engineering student, I have no rebuttal to this

den how cumz i can fly and fuck sarclet johanisun in my lucid dreams but not in my lucid wakes

Because your lucid wakes aren't your own

Lucid wakes implies you have free will to control your life.

Maybe dreams are the only time we have free will and when you're awake everything is pre-deterministic.

you can actually stack sleep hours for big awake time

i.e. sleep for an entire weeks worth of rem in one sitting and you can stay awake for a month straight.

this can't be true

This is blatantly untrue.

I guess that means no hot dogs then huh?

The term is from the Matrix, not from pol you idiot

>Sleeping too much can make you tired
I've read that you are supposed to sleep as much as your body wants to, which is how humans have been doing for thousands of years.

Pretty good band. Om is better though

>redpill
Kill yourself, /pol/nigger.

You need lots of it

your now getting sleepy

Why do dreams feel more real than reality. In the sense that when you have a scary dream you are more scared than you've ever been in your life before.
I'm sure you've had dreams before that felt like more than an experience and memory.

Redpill me on ECT and waking up remebering nothing.

There is no introspection during dreaming, so their is nothing to contradict the experience as it is happening and you are living externally and in the moment.

This sounds like a drug desciption.

I just know in your waking life you have your subconscious, so wherever you experience something, you can look inward and reflect on what is happening. That experience never exists in your dreams. Your whole brain must not be active at the time.