If this book is so great, where's the dl link?

Veeky Forums is making a meme out of recommending this Diffy Q text, instead of all the other ones which are actually available.

If you know this book is good, why not share it? Post the link or recommend something else whenever people ask for a good text on Diffy Q's.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Applied-Differential-Equations-Textbooks-Mathematics/dp/1439851042
maa.org/press/maa-reviews/applied-differential-equations
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Lurk more you dumb fuck.

>Veeky Forums is making a meme out of recommending this Diffy Q text
sounds like you fell for a memelist

>If you know this book is good, why not share it?
do you not know how to use google?
amazon.com/Applied-Differential-Equations-Textbooks-Mathematics/dp/1439851042

>maa.org/press/maa-reviews/applied-differential-equations

Dunno about the book but it seems good for a first class on difEQs, especially for scientists and engineers, according to the review and the Amazon preview.

Where's the dl link on here? My OP was damn clear in that regard...

Yeah, I've seen the Amazon page. Where's the libgen or other dl link? You guys keep promoting the book, so why not just share it?

>Where's the libgen or other dl link?
not every book is on libgen obviously

libraries exist

>You guys keep promoting the book, so why not just share it?
it's probably just one person reposting a memelist, there's no 'you guys' here

So you have the pdf link? I'll wait.

>nigger

>discussing a math book

Pick one.

>nigger
>pirating a math book

Find that pdf link yet?

I don't think anybody has the PDF link user. You're going to have to buy it and tell us for ourselves.

Yeah, literally 5 seconds on Google.

Feel free to post the URL then. Still here, user.

Since we're talking diff. eq. books.
Which introductory book has best exercises? Solutions should be available.

Second. OP's pic-related looks great if it were as cracked up as the MAA review has it to be. Appropriate for introduction, good intuition and motivation, good breadth (even briefly covering PDEs), lots of applications and even coding, and conscious presentation after teaching experience.

Wish there was either an EPUB or a PDF format available or cheaper prices. I just don't want to shell $90-100 for a book of uncertain quality.

Yeah, a lot of people on Veeky Forums are namedropping Dobrushkin (pic related) as a good text, but don't provide a link. Google search, libgen, etc give nothing.

Figured I'd call out Veeky Forums for their bullshit. Shepley Ross, DePrima, and Zill are good alternatives that you can actually get your hands on.

Maybe we have some /Brown/ university kids running around who really like the book. Maybe we have some /MAA/ memesters running around. Maybe we have some /library/ fanatics running around who don't mind going out of there way to borrow a textbook. Don't really think it's bullshit, I'm sure it would spread if somebody took the time to download the PDF and spread it.

>Shepley Ross, DePrima, and Zill are good alternatives that you can actually get your hands on.
Are they comparable in scope to what I outlined previously?

is MAA a bad source for reviews?

it's not just one person writing those reviews

>it's another textbook babby thread
why don't people on Veeky Forums actually do math instead of arguing about books they probably won't read?

Are you expecting everyone here to share a 5 hour livefeed of them reading and doing exercises? Why would you torture yourself with a poorly written textbook? Fuck off and let people ask their questions so that they can study on their own time later without the worry of their textbook being shitty like some random 14th edition biology book.

Campbell isn't that shitty. But totally agree with your point.

>EPUB
My experience with EPUB academic books is very bad. I prefer PDFs. Equations are always fucked up.

Nobody even argues over books. It's usually something along the lines of "I'm sick of stupid and expensive babby-tier shit, give me something better.", then a consensus quickly forms around 1-3 suggestions that are all held as about the same quality. Then those suggestions get passed onto future posters. I've never seen anything but civil and insightful discussion from people invested into finding quality books.

You know where the most arguments come from? Stupid autists who either recommend incredibly difficult graduate-level books or complain about the existence of these threads. It's like you two types of morons want the barrier to entry to be as high as possible so you have no real competition.

>Are you expecting everyone here to share a 5 hour livefeed of them reading and doing exercises?
no

>Why would you torture yourself with a poorly written textbook?
nice strawman

If you start reading a book and it's not good, there's no reason you can't stop and pick up a different one. Plus with the wide availability of books thanks to the internet there's not really any reason to limit yourself to one anyway.

It doesn't even matter if 10 people on Veeky Forums tell you a book is good (resp. shit), it might be shit (good) for you anyway, but you won't find out until you actually read it. Yet most of the textbook babby threads on here just read like mindless drones picking books because some anonymous poster put it on a memelist.

>complain about the existence of these threads
this thread is literally just a request thread because OP is too lazy to walk to a library and too poor to buy it on amazon, there's nothing of value here, it has nothing to do with "wanting the barrier to entry to be as a high as possible" you delusional brainlet

>If you start reading a book and it's not good, there's no reason you can't stop and pick up a different one.
A lot of books suck in the age of commodification. Terrible motivation, terrible problems, terrible application, lots of errors, high prices, etc. If you take the most common suggestions, you're going to be wasting a lot of time before you find a book of acceptable quality.

If you don't think it's a worthwhile pursuit to spend 30 mins-1 hr searching and comparing alternatives before sink 10+ hours into a book that is likely going to be the foundations of even higher level material to come, then you're a fucking retard who doesn't value their time or work.

>It doesn't even matter if 10 people on Veeky Forums tell you a book is good (resp. shit), it might be shit (good) for you anyway, but you won't find out until you actually read it.
Some books are shit even if you like them because they ill-prepare you for the future. How would you know before you've understood the subject? A lot of glaring problems don't present themselves until you're well into them, especially errors to solutions. Imagine if you had it right all along but the printed solutions were terrible! Might as well spend 30 minutes to avoid hours upon hours of headache.

Have you even been to a library? You're probably not going to find this book in a library unless your library is very large, is very lucky, or has extensive inter-library loan connections (of which it will take a while to get the book, if it isn't already checked out). Libraries are not the solutions to everything, and few people want to buy a book whose quality isn't guaranteed by any reasonable standard.

>If you take the most common suggestions, you're going to be wasting a lot of time before you find a book of acceptable quality.
>then a consensus quickly forms around 1-3 suggestions that are all held as about the same quality
well which one is it?

>Have you even been to a library? You're probably not going to find this book in a library unless your library is very large, is very lucky, or has extensive inter-library loan connections (of which it will take a while to get the book, if it isn't already checked out). Libraries are not the solutions to everything, and few people want to buy a book whose quality isn't guaranteed by any reasonable standard.
so you agree this thread is pointless then, good to know we're on the same page

>strawman
ishygddt

>
If you start reading a book and it's not good, there's no reason you can't stop and pick up a different one.

But that is inefficient and time-wasting to read a book and just stop reading it because it was bad in the first place. Do you suggest bad books when a colleague asks for one or do you reply with a textbook you know is good and would suffice? There are hundreds of textbooks out there but not all of them are good or even decent. There is no need to sift through them all.

>Plus with the wide availability of books thanks to the internet there's not really any reason to limit yourself to one anyway.

This I agree with but you have to pick out textbooks anyways if you want to go this route.

Lot's of people on Veeky Forums forget that there are posters here that have not learned a subject yet. In turn many lash out at textbook threads saying "just read a damn book" forgetting that they themselves had to trudge through shitty books every once in a while for a class and wished they had something better. I know I did a few times. If you find a textbook to be a meme from a meme-list, just let everyone know of a better book instead. This is how people can agree upon good and canonical textbooks.

>well which one is it?
Depends on the topic.

Intro to real analysis seems to center around Baby Rudin, Zorich, and Tao, with some other unorthodox (but probably helpful) approaches discussed such as starting with some intro topology first and getting some proofing experience first in another topic or with a intro to proofing book.

Chemistry seems to revolve around Atkins/Oxtoby for general chemistry, Clayden and Klein for organic chemistry, Lehninger for biochemistry, McQuarrie for physical chemistry, and Miessler for inorganic chemistry. People all seem to like these books the most, probably because they had the most attention and passion brought into them by insightful and experienced educators.

>But that is inefficient and time-wasting to read a book and just stop reading it because it was bad in the first place.
you don't know if it's bad or not until you actually read it brainlet, what part of this don't you get?

you seem to think books are either objectively good or they aren't, this suggests a lack of critical thinking ability

>so you agree this thread is pointless then, good to know we're on the same page

How is it pointless? PLENTY of books are available for pdfs, and many people here are looking for alternative diffyq books that could fit into the role presented by the first book. Jesus Christ, what's with all of the one-track minded autists around here? N U A N CE, learn it you fucking retard and stop derailing the thread.

>This I agree with but you have to pick out textbooks anyways if you want to go this route.
also this is why this thread is useless, there's no reason OP has to read the memebook he's requesting when there's 1000s of others, he just seems intent on reading it because it was included in some memelist

>How is it pointless?
because evidently it's not available as a pdf, so this is literally just a brainlet's request thread that won't get filled

>you don't know if it's bad or not until you actually read it
>you seem to think books are either objectively good or they aren't

Which one is it? Of course there are bad textbooks, why do you think so many alternatives exist? Quality control is a real thing when it comes to writing. Why am I getting the feeling that you've never actually read a textbook before or even know of the subjects people discuss here.

>completely missing the point
i'd recommend you a book on reading comprehension but you probably wouldn't read it unless i made a whole memelist out of it

>Which one is it?
it's both, the first bad clearly implies the subjective experience if you had any reading comprehension ability

> Of course there are bad textbooks, why do you think so many alternatives exist?
because people get paid to write them, at different levels, for different audiences, after other books fall out of print, in different languages, the list goes in. you seem oblivious to the real world.

just sounds like you fell for the objectivity meme desu

So I'm right, you've never actually read a textbook.

>objectivity meme desu

What does this even mean? Speak like an adult.

If you are not going to help those asking for recommendations don't even bother posting. Go be an autist somewhere else

>So I'm right, you've never actually read a textbook.
if that thought makes you happy, stick with it :)

>What does this even mean?
if you can't link the idea that 'books aren't objectively good' to 'the objectivity meme' i have little hope for you

>If you are not going to help those asking for recommendations don't even bother posting.
for the third (3) time, OP didn't ask for recommendations, it's just a slide thread begging for a memebook from a memelist, has nothing to do with science or math

Read the OP you retard. He also asked for a different book if nobody could find the first one.

You seem to not understand that some books are objectively terrible books. There's a difference between arguing over 3 equivalently good books with different approaches and arguing that there's no way to separate the good from the shit, which is fucking bonkers.

>Read the OP you retard. He also asked for a different book if nobody could find the first one.
Read the OP you retard. He said to recommend something else whenever people ask for a good text if there's no link to this one. Once again, more lack of reading comprehension.

>You seem to not understand that some books are objectively terrible
stopped reading

Didn't ask for recommendations? Hmm, what di d the OP mean by the following:
>Post the link or recommend something else whenever people ask for a good text on Diffy Q's.
>Post the link or recommend something else whenever people ask for a good text on Diffy Q's.

READ. THE. FUCKING. OP. BEFORE. ARGUING. YOU. INSUFFERABLE. RETARD.

Next, I can't wait for you to justify how there's no real objective difference in quality between a mass published crock of shit littered with typos and indecipherable language and a work of pedagogical and open-source art published by a small but dedicated team of professors.

>Didn't ask for recommendations?
That's correct.

if you even bothered to read the thread before posting such nonsense, you'd have seen the post where he/she already has 3 books about diffeqs:
and that the point of this thread was:
>Figured I'd call out Veeky Forums for their bullshit.

next?

>'books aren't objectively good'

Wtf? Do you have any idea how hard it is to write a good textbook? Do you have any idea how hard it is to convey abstract ideas to someone who is not as experienced as the author is in written form? Yes, there are objective bad books, these are the ones that no one can obtain information from, that no one can understand, and are just in general poor mediums for conveying ideas. Teaching and writing are skills, it is completely possible for someone to be bad at them and produce thrash books and the fact that you ignore this means you've never read anything or tried to teach someone.

Are you seriously trying to argue that the OP didn't ask for recommendations, EVEN THOUGH HE CLEARLY DID, because he started off by asking for a link to a textbook? Jesus-fucking-Christ, HE STILL ASKED FOR RECOMMENDATIONS, END OF STORY.

Who are the fucking retards who birthed you, you fucking genetic abomination, and how did they get away with dropping you so many times on your head? Get the fuck out of this thread you stuttering autistic idiot.

>Are you seriously trying to argue that the OP didn't ask for recommendations, EVEN THOUGH HE CLEARLY DID, because he started off by asking for a link to a textbook? Jesus-fucking-Christ, HE STILL ASKED FOR RECOMMENDATIONS, END OF STORY.
see

>mfw brainlets can't tell the difference of someone asking for recommendations and someone telling people not to recommend a book that isn't on libgen
i sincerely hope english isn't the first language of these posters

How does that prove that he wasn't asking for recommendations, you fucking retard? You can still have choices and ask for more. Somebody wanted to test if a meme could stand up to the hype in case he found it worthwhile to switch.

Seriously, I wonder how you managed to get on this website without sticking your penis into the electrical socket, let alone opening an internet browser. I don't think I've seen such a dense motherfucker in a long time on Veeky Forums, not even on /pol/.

Samefags get out. Are you too stupid to believe that somebody wasn't shit-testing the maker of the meme-list, in case he was for real? Jesus Christ.

>How does that prove that he wasn't asking for recommendations, you fucking retard?
Because he never asked, and you can't point to any post where he does.

The whole point of this thread is that he believes no one on Veeky Forums has actually read this book because it's not on libgen so he doesn't want people to recommend it.

You understand now?

>shit-testing
you mind defining that so we can be on the same page?

>/pol/.
you have to go back, this board was better before you race/IQ retards started shitting up every thread

>you mind defining that so we can be on the same page?
Testing somebody else in a way that either affirms their status or destroys it, depending if they can deliver. AKA "calling somebody out".

>Because he never asked, and you can't point to any post where he does.
He CLEARLY asks for recommendations in the OP in case nobody can produce a link to the first book. If there was no motive to ask for a different book, then HE WOULD NOT HAVE INCLUDED THIS.

>The whole point of this thread is that he believes no one on Veeky Forums has actually read this book
The book was written by a math professor at Brown University who used it for his classes. I'm sure there were a few people on Veeky Forums who have read this book, though who knows if the person spreading it around has read it. Perhaps he was looking for a better book by triggering people into providing one. Ever consider that?

>because it's not on libgen so he doesn't want people to recommend it.
I'm not saying you're wrong, that this is ONE of the several motives for this post, but it is clearly obvious that he is a skeptical Veeky Forums user who wants a recommendation that isn't a meme. People can have multiple motives, and a skeptical person would want to double-check that somebody is giving them a good recommendation.

-- --

I can't believe I had to autistically break that down for you. It's like you don't believe that people can have multiple motives for things. Are you a one-track minded simpleton or something? Are you such a relativist that you believe that a typo-littered pile of trash will give you the same productive experience as a carefully crafted work of art? Jesus Christ dude, get help.

>He CLEARLY asks for recommendations in the OP in case nobody can produce a link to the first book.
alright let's go through this slowly so you can maybe understand it this time

>recommend something else whenever people ask for a good text on Diffy Q's.

is not a request for recommendations, in fact it's the opposite, he's saying you should NOT recommend this because there's no link

understand?

>he is a skeptical Veeky Forums user who wants a recommendation that isn't a meme
why would someone with 3 diffeq books want another?

do you not understand the implications of this post?
>Shepley Ross, DePrima, and Zill are good alternatives that you can actually get your hands on.

OP just thinks his memebooks are better recommendations, you have yet to point to him asking for recommendations

>Are you such a relativist that you believe that a typo-littered pile of trash will give you the same productive experience as a carefully crafted work of art?
and yet another strawman

there's plenty of great books littered with typos, even ones that are frequently recommended on Veeky Forums, for example aluffi's algebra chapter 0

next?

Your entire argument rests on selectively interpreting a poorly written Veeky Forums post in one way while ignoring the premise that somebody skeptically arguing about the best book for subject wouldn't want a different recommendation that actually fulfills the niche. Why would they care? Is this board filled with altruists that want to crack down on memelists in their spare time now? It's like you don't understand motives.

>why would someone with 3 diffeq books want another?
For the same reason somebody with 3 calculus books may want another, if they're stuck with Larson, Stewart, and Calculus for Dummies. Because there could be (and there are) better books out there.

If the solutions guide is riddled in typos, then you have a book that is effectively not usable for autodidacts who don't have office hours to solve hard problems.

Seriously, we're not judging the value of one piece of art over another. We're judging the ability for somebody to use one textbook to accomplish a certain set of goals compared to other textbooks. Objectivity is 100% possible in that scenario.

>poorly written
is your reading comprehension really this bad? the post was written completely clearly, it's you distorting the meaning for whatever reason

If an autodidact can't find one of the many places online to ask whether something is a typo they're probably not cut out to be an autodidact

>my interpretation is right, it's definitely clearly written because the wording agrees with what I think it said, everybody else must have poor reading comprehension, there's no underlying motive behind the post

Well-memed.

What place is going to solve your homework questions in a possibly obscure topic at a time convenient for you? No place. What the fuck are you talking about? Have you been living in your basement for a decade or something?

>What place is going to solve your homework questions in a possibly obscure topic at a time convenient for you?
Veeky Forums
stackexchange
yahoo answers
the list goes on

Have you been living in your basement for a decade or something?

>Veeky Forums
Posting homework help on Veeky Forums gets deleted within minutes, you fucking idiot.

>stackexchange
You are still at the mercy of whether somebody with expertise will choose to help you in a timely manner. And if your textbook is so broken that you end up having to resort to stackexchange multiple times, then you've wasted your money. Might as well hire a private tutor from stackexchange.

A person with a better textbook has already finished their self-study with a better intuition than you'll ever get.

>yahoo answers
Who the fuck uses yahoo answers for anything harder than grade school problems?

>Have you been living in your basement for a decade or something?
You think that living on stackexchange is a suitable replacement to a good textbook in lieu of taking a course. Give me a break.

>Posting homework help on Veeky Forums gets deleted within minutes, you fucking idiot.
We were talking about autodidacts, "you fucking idiot".

>You are still at the mercy of whether somebody with expertise will choose to help you in a timely manner.
What time constraints are there on this autodidact?

>Who the fuck uses yahoo answers for anything harder than grade school problems?
lots of people if you bothered to look, it doesn't like you'd make a good autodidact.

>You think that living on stackexchange is a suitable replacement to a good textbook in lieu of taking a course
Another strawman. see above, we were talking about autodidacts.

>We were talking about autodidacts, "you fucking idiot".
"It's not homework, I'm learning on my own. Honest!" Who is going to buy that excuse?

>What time constraints are there on this autodidact?
Real life. The desire to learn other subjects. The desire to enter a professional field.

>lots of people if you bothered to look, it doesn't like you'd make a good autodidact.
Hold up, we have somebody to vouch for Yahoo Answers here!

>Another strawman. see above, we were talking about autodidacts.
Keep crying about a term you don't even use. If I point out the stupid conclusions of your argument, it isn't a straw man, even if it makes you feel bad.

>"It's not homework, I'm learning on my own. Honest!" Who is going to buy that excuse?
Apparently all the mods/janitors that don't delete every single post that contains a math question... are you really this new around here?

>Real life. The desire to learn other subjects. The desire to enter a professional field.
>Hold up, we have somebody to vouch for Yahoo Answers here!
You're not cut out to be an autodidact.

>If I point out the stupid conclusions of your argument, it isn't a straw man
Correct! Good work. But all you do is point out conclusions of arguments that weren't made, which is strawmanning

Don't know about burgerland, but in northern isistan (formerly known as Europe) we have plenty of copies of academic books in libraries. Even faculty libraries have at least 3 copies of each book, more if they are popular or part of curricullum (like Zorich and Royden).

>Apparently all the mods/janitors that don't delete every single post that contains a math question... are you really this new around here?

I see posts deleted all the time. Sometimes I'll work out a post's problem and it'll be deleted by the time I get around to typing it up. If you think that's an effective way of getting help, then you're delusional.

>You're not cut out to be an autodidact.
Hold up, somebody isn't cut out to be an autodidact if they're skeptical of the quality of Yahoo Answers!

>But all you do is point out conclusions of arguments that weren't made, which is strawmanning
Just because you don't think through your positions, and thus don't realize all of their conclusions, doesn't mean that they weren't part of your argument. But I don't think you'll understand that pretty soon.

What am I even doing here? I ended up liking Shepley Ross's textbook, despite its lack of applications, for its otherwise thoroughness, so I'm dumb wasting my time talking to an autist. Good bye.

Living in a populated city and looking for a popular book is a different story. Unless you have easy access to a university library, you're probably not going to find OP's book there. Your random public library is definitely not going to have it unless it's of unusual quality (like being in an urban area).

>I see posts deleted all the time. Sometimes I'll work out a post's problem and it'll be deleted by the time I get around to typing it up. If you think that's an effective way of getting help, then you're delusional.
Yes, some posts get deleted, in particular homework posts. Yet you've once again strawmanned and avoided the point since this has nothing to do with autodidactism (hopefully you understand by this point)

>Hold up, somebody isn't cut out to be an autodidact if they're skeptical of the quality of Yahoo Answers!
Yet another strawman, it's getting less impressive each time.

>Just because you don't think through your positions, and thus don't realize all of their conclusions, doesn't mean that they weren't part of your argument. But I don't think you'll understand that pretty soon.
Feel free to point out a post where I said living on stackexchange is a suitable replacement to a good textbook.

I'll wait.

>mfw no Arnold ITT

Arnold should have never left the movies, he's losing to the russian good guy Dobrushkin.

Is this thread autism incarnate?