Math tiers

Discuss

All tier threads are cancer.

Discuss that, bitch.

what tier of cancer tho? melanoma tier or leukemia tier?

>calculus top tier
lmao

How does any of this have any sense? You just put a bunch of mathematical/sub-mathematical branches into tiers and logic behind is???

Why is calculus on this list and probability theory isn't?

I really like this reply.

What tier is IUT?

I think that mathematicians and Computer Scientists have some kind of a BDSM relationship. For example, you put CS in its own category instead of "Shit tier". This proves that you secretly like us.

OP is such a big faggot he probably thinks it is the same as statistics.

honestly probability theory should be on there at near the top, shit's fascinating

>muh purity
This meme stopped being important to me a long time ago. Have fun never getting a job.

Sounds like a brainlet taking pride in ignorance to me.

Math is so shit that it has to be alienated from other studies.

Applied maths are the only one relevant, all of others are for autists without a job

bitch plz

>300k starting
>any job that I want

what the meme doesn't tell you that it's for applied math phds only

/thread

t. never taken a single algebra course lmao

Inter Universal Teichmuller Tier

As a PhD student focusing on 4th derivative calculus I agree,

You're missing fiber spaces, homological algebra and algebraic geometry in god tier.

Got a question, do I go to a top tier University and study Economics with Stats (I have an offer) or do I go to a mid-table Uni and study Maths (Also have an offer)?

While I agree with Set Theory's placement, why exactly is geometry in shit tier?

>Logic in God tier
>CS in faggot tier
Now that's retardation.

>Logic and CS on opposite sides of the list

>These absolute faggots think Logic is Computer Logic

Holy shit. Consider suicide. Your little brain would not even begin to comprehend what we mean by mathematical logic.

>trying this hard to seem smart
Please stop, it's embarrassing.

I never once claimed I am smart. I just claimed you were stupid.

See? This is why I said you can't into logic. If you can't even follow a simple chain of implications then CS is right for you, as you don't even have to think.

Pros of going to a top tier university:
-Courses are more interesting
-People there are more intelligent and ambitious, more interesting to talk to, better societies
-More high quality networking events, conferences, etc. making it easier to meet the right people, learn more about the latest theories and developments in various fields, learn and understand what different jobs require, get an internship/job
-You'll probably get more financial assistance
-Much easier to get a competitive job: provided you are studying something serious and not going into a specialized field of work, what employers care about academically is the reputation of the university and grades achieved

Pros of going to mid tier university:
-Lighter workload
-Maybe you enjoy Mathematics a bit more
-You can spend all your extra free time being a memelord on sci

>geometry in shit tier
>differential geometry in mid tier

>topology in top tier
>differential topology in mid tier

>calculus in top tier
>vector calculus in mid tier

what the fuck this doesn't make any sense

>Applied "mathematics"
>shit tier
t. aspie

Pros of not going to college:

1. You don't have to pay 40k per year for 4 years
2. You can learn everything the college would have taught you by just buying the text books and going through them
3. Finish all the material 1 year earlier because college wastes a shit ton of time

>he sold out
Hope you enjoy your mind-numbing work for Mr. Skekelstein!

>Computer Science in faggot tier

How can a person be this assblasted over not understanding what a turing machine is?

typing """""""""""""" instead of " is the true faggotry

fucking /pol/ newfags

not a mathfag, but isnt topology the hardest field within math?

>do CS
>make more money than all of the fields in your chart
>laff all the way to the bank

thank you i will

>1. You don't have to pay 40k per year for 4 years

You also don't have to pay 40k a year if college is free, as in, if you live in a first world country. I feel bad for you people in... Zimbabwe? Are you in Zimbabwe? I can't really think of a place so backwards they still charge for education.

>2. You can learn everything the college would have taught you by just buying the text books and going through them

True, but this is not the same as having a professional judge your work. For example, I learned linear algebra on my own way before I took it on college. But then when I took it I still remember that in my first test I got a B. Why? Because even though I had already mastered the subject, it was not enough for a professional. He saw my proofs and for each minor flaw he punished. I had to rethink many things I know. But after this first failure I got A's in the rest of the tests and in the end got an A in the class. Before, I knew linear algebra. Now, I KNOW linear algebra. As in, I am actually 20 times better at linear algebra than I was before. Even thogh in his class I only saw like 3 concepts that were new for me.

Plus, if your university hosts events like presentations, panels and discussins (which every math department does probably) then you can gain a lot from networking. Just by knowing a professor in a certain field I like, I now do some minor work with him which is definitely going into my resume when I apply to grad school.

>3. Finish all the material 1 year earlier because college wastes a shit ton of time

Again, you are judging from the perspective of Zimbabwe. In first world nations universities don't waste time. I am so sorry for you.

americans BTFO

you write like you're twelve
good luck on your masters in graduate school

>no job
no company is going to higher you if you have no proof of your education dingus.

ya

kek, money is not an issue when your doing mathematics
>let my bank account have 300k

>""Applied fields are for plebs.""

OP is ditching off the most paid work positions for Mathematicians:

Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Economics & Statistics

The applied fields are where a Mathematician can get literally the 300k meme starting.

>""But ... But Money isn't everything!! ""(Autistic Screeching)
So enjoy your 10k starting.

OP wanna became just like Grigori Perelman, that weird & smelly Russian Mathematician which looks like a Hobo, and won the Fields Medal. But rejected the prize & the money because He thought that
> """money and recognition isn't everything"""

I agree with the criticisms about Perelman. Maybe he should have taken the money and the opportunity to become a famous mathematician. But you... you seem to be angry at him?

Why would a man who can live happily without money make you this angry? Why are you angry at all?

What about abstract algebra?

>complex analysis god tier
>Vector calculus, not linear algebra
>no abstract algebra and algebraic geometry
It's clearly been made by some undergrad who took baby's first contour integration

>You also don't have to pay 40k a year if college is free, as in, if you live in a first world country

I live in America and I have to pay for college. So explain

What is this even.

Aren't you supposed to learn Set Theory and Logic for Computer Science?

Literally kill yourself for this chart what a mess

>mathematical physics
>low tier

string theory is at least top tier tough

clearly done by a freshman

>lists fractal geometry
>forgets about combinatorics, algebraic geometry, category theory etc

are you a highschooler? did you just read some popsci book about math?

>he's one level above a jerk

>criticizes another poster for juvenile writing
>later substitutes "higher" for "hire"

protip: I'm neither of the people that you replied to in that post and I don't care about the substance of the argument that you were having with them just now, but you sound fucking dumb in any event.

I understand what you think you're trying to say but in general, the point of education has never been, is not now, and never will be "to get a job". This is a misunderstanding by the massive horde which is obliged to learn how to move the things and tick the boxes for no other reason than that they need official proof that they know how to move the things and talk to people and tick the boxes. That's not what education really is, though.

The point of education is to get the joke.

all math is a one big mental self-BDSM

This list is accurate if the tiers are flipped. Computer science is still faggot tier tho.

>OP is such a big faggot he probably thinks [probability theory] is the same as statistics.
it is the same

Engineering tiers

Brainlet. When you can calculate the type of things that Leibniz, Euler etc calculated you will have the right to laugh at the calculus.

>lmao at everyone here who thinks they're a genius. protip: you're not

i'm only a couple of weeks into calculus 1, and doing really well. Already past the chain rule and beyond. Quotient rule was a joke. Product rule remains my specialty.

I ask my professor his thoughts on quantum mechanics and partial derivatives. He's impressed i know about the subject. We converse after class for some time, sharing mathematical insights; i can keep up. He tells me of great things ahead like series and laplacians. I tell him i already read about series on wikipedia. He is yet again impressed at my enthusiasm. What a joy it is to have your professor visibly brighten when he learns of your talents.

And now I sit here wondering what it must be like to be a brainlet, unable to engage your professor as an intellectual peer.

All of the deep conversations you people must miss out on because you aren't able to overcome the intellectual IQ barrier that stands in the way of your academic success... it's so sad.

My professor and I know each other on first name basis now, but i call him Dr. out of respect.

And yet here you brainlets sit, probably havent even made eye contact with yours out of fear that they will gauge your brainlet IQ levels.

A true shame, but just know it is because i was born special that i am special. I can't help being a genius, nor can my professor.

>mechanical great
>aero bad

They are the same thing senpai, except you get paid more in aero.

I study geometry and topology, am I shit or top tier? Also, why is geometry shit?

Because whoever made this doesn't know what geometry is.

I'm not Op/that guy. But it's true researchers in math logic are different than researchers in computer science in certain areas. This is in stuff like recursion theory / Ramsey theory type of research in math that CS guys don't tend to look at that much

the greatest mathematician alive does geometry

list is shit is missing algebra entirely and puts geometry at the bottom

Geometry isn't even that good anyways.

Except you don't get hired in aero

Is Numerical Analysis considered Applied Mathematics?

>he hasn't heard of type theory

>Your little brain would not even begin to comprehend what we mean by mathematical logic.
>what we mean
>we
Aww how cute user thinks he's not alone ~~ real mathematicans thinks computer science is a branch of logic, senpai

>algebraic graph theory
>shit tier
I'll kill you OP

God tier: Analysis
Shit tier: Algebra

You hate us cause you aint us

Highest: Epistemology.
Without it, nothing else has any 'validity' at all.

How will Burgers recover?

>tfw in unbelievable tier
Feels good being at the top

>algebraic geometry
>shit tier

m'kay

>Calculus and Vector Calculus in different tiers
never go full retard

Education should be a privilege of the few, not a right of the masses, remember that my commie "friend."

Yes.

actual unbelievable tier (extremely high employment rate/versatile career options):
software engineering

actual god tier (high employment rate/versatile career options:
computer engineering
electrical engineering (good options for academia)
mechanical engineering

actual shit tier (not versatile/lower demand) :
chemical engineering (jack of all trades/low employment)
nuclear engineering
petroleum engineering
biomedical engineering (grad school most likely needed)
engineering physics (grad school mandatory)

Basically what said about no job.
Most career application systems will filter your application away from recruiters if it doesn't list having received a four year degree. You could have a BA in English Literature and you would have a higher chance of getting an interview than a degreeless savant that has read every paper published in the field in the last five years.

That's just a statement on how hopelessly flawed modern HR services are today, and the need to develop a system that can more accurately quantify skills relative to a set of constraints

This majors dont even exist. Also eat shit, statistics one low.

Add Abstract Algebra/Linear Algebra to top tier and we're good.

What? Things like the Church-Turing thesis are par for the course in mathematical logic...

This chart looks like it was put together by a fucking high schooler. I guarantee you don't know what a single one of those terms means. Seriously, fuck off and assassinate yourself, kid.

You forgot Industrial, since it's one of the most versatiles. I would put it in actual good tier

Reverse that list and you got the starting sallery ranking

Calc is a joke

>tfw you are asked to factor 10
>tfw you respond with { x | (x = 5) v (x = 2) }
>tfw you are good at number theory, logic and set theory all at once

Goml fagitz

tfw fell for the expanding biomed meme for the biggest meme of all (med school)

how fuc'd am I senpai?

Cryptography should be at least top tier

You mixed them up

>when materials engineering is both good and bad.

How deep

why do you faggots always rate number theory so high?