Why are we not doing this?

Why are we not doing this?

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/How-many-airplanes-fly-each-day-in-the-world
engadget.com/2017/03/28/there-are-over-770-000-registered-drone-owners-in-the-us/
youtube.com/watch?v=3rhHjUVCG9c
youtube.com/watch?v=Wvq2Jt0IHY0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why waste money on those complicated contraptions for a non-issue like climate change?

i wish OP was an engineer so they could do basic back of the envelope calculations and see why this would never work so we don't have to waste our time with this retarded OP.

the ability to fly perpetually isn't positively correlated with sun-blocking shape though.

It will be expensive, like million dollars each. To cover a fair distance you'd need tens of thousands, probably hundreds.

And that's just manufacturing let alone maintenance, and what your going to do in bad weather conditions.

Besides, all this achieves is cooler surface temperatures.. global warming is melting ice caps n shit so unless you want to fly these over the arctic and antarctic (Multiply maintenance cost by 10 or so)... it's a stupid idea.

What the fuck. Deserts are not arrable because they don't have water not because of all the sun. That idea is fuckibg dumb

Even if this did work, plants still need energy from sun. The problem isn't the light coming in, it's that the energy can't get out.

>so they could do basic back of the envelope calculations
I did. If they are as big as a soccer field, I would need 160.000 to block a tenth of Qatar's area, so reducing the average sun energy there by 10%. So if each costs a million, that's 160 billion dollars, a viable sum for a country like Qatar. Maybe they could be much cheaper than a million, their only purpose is to to keep a thin and light space blanket in the air. Choose the cheapest one of all possible designs to keep such a blanket above the soil, like solar drones, zeppelins, actual kites, long poles, ...
There has to be a way

If even the air above Qatar would get a little colder than now, more the water in the hot air that was above the surrounding ocean would condensate over Qatar, making clouds and rain. At the same time, less water on the ground would evaporate.

>plants still need energy from sun
Yup, I'm not talking about a 100% block, like making some place having an eternal light. More like 10%. 90% of the sun energy per area unit that reaches Qatar over a year is still more than what reaches Europe over the year per area unit.

>The problem isn't the light coming in, it's that the energy can't get out.
If there's more reflection, there is more bouncing between the space blanket and the CO2, at each bounce a big fraction of the energy escapes to space

They can't hold water because they don't have plant life which fucks up the local climate. Read about the Australian megaforest before Abos burned it down.

>Getting rid of desert biomes
That seems like a bad idea to me, deserts have their places here and we would probably regret turning them into something more lush. The hundreds of millions of dollars you would spend on this flying sunlight reflector could be spent much more efficiently on lining the desert surface with solar panels. Easier sell, easier maintenance, more efficient, and you get to collect that sunlight for fuel instead of reflecting it back out into empty space.

better idea

>sea levels are rising
>pump excess sea water into giant artificial lakes in the middle of the desert
>sea levels go down
>sea water in artificial lakes evaporate
>evaporation creates clouds
>clouds create rain and terraform the desert into arable land
>artificial lakes are filled with man made algae
>algae used to produce biodiesel

Solves 3 problems at once. 4 problems if the arable land is used to grow crops and help with food shortages.

Also, if the man made algae is something that can cause trouble in the wild, then it should be 100% dependent on some man made chemical that doesn't exist in the wild. Like chemical fertilizers or something.

Also just to add,
You could also collect salt from the artificial lakes once they dry up, and the clouds should have some mitigating effect on global warming.

Still there would be a lot of sun giving sunstrokes and making arabs unnecessarily aggressive

>possible designs to keep such a blanket above the soil. You can't tell me there isn't a way to cheaply cover 10% of a few square kilometers to start testing this

Here another example, where not the airplane itself needs to be huge, just the space blanket it's pulling (horizontally in this case of course)

Why not just a bunch of really big shiny balloons?

You sir, will save man kind.

Because you're trying to fix the wrong problem. You're treating the symptom, not the disease.

>>I would need 160.000 to block a tenth of Qatar's area
That's more airplanes than there are in the entire world. TOTALLY FUCKING IMPRACTICAL
quora.com/How-many-airplanes-fly-each-day-in-the-world
>pump excess sea water into giant artificial lakes in the middle of the desert
LOOK ANOTHER FUCKING STUPID IDEA! Do you have any idea how big these artificial lakes would have to be to offset sea level rise?

>LOOK ANOTHER FUCKING STUPID IDEA!
cringe

Taste the pain!

>That's more airplanes than there are in the entire world.
Could be, but you are counting the number of actual, big airplanes that are supposed to carry humans, like Boeing 747s and such.

The air vehicles I'm talking about only need to keep some foil in the air, nothing more. They are much less complex than anything carrying humans.

engadget.com/2017/03/28/there-are-over-770-000-registered-drone-owners-in-the-us/

>hey guys, which one of u fine gentlemanly buisnesses wants to pay 160 billion dollars in order to reduce the surface temperature of Earth by 1 degree celcius and would immediately get destroyed by hurricanes and cyclones?

,000 registered drone owners
those are fucking tiny planes

>>about only need to keep some foil in the air
all that foil will have drag and weight.

For a Very Simple Reason

It cost a lot of Money.

To plant Trees is a lot more Cheaper.

OP here, here's some update. I found out about the Bali kite festival. These Janggan kites are fucking huge. 240x10m, so two kites are the size of a soccer field.
youtube.com/watch?v=3rhHjUVCG9c

And you can make kites from space blanket
youtube.com/watch?v=Wvq2Jt0IHY0

Why aren't desert countries with money and a relatively small area like Qatar, UAE, Israel making a Bali kite festival everyday?

because it's just not worth it user. There's no freshwater to grow crops anyway

Well Qatar is getting fucked over by the saudis right now

Most reasons that came to my mind first are already state in short op something I can add: for the same effect we need a cheaper, smarter idea.

>There's no freshwater to grow crops anyway
I'm not an expert at manipulating the climate at a location, but I think lowering sun energy won't only affect the temperature. It will also affect the water cycle, because there's less evaporation under the sun-protected area and more condensation. This, together with the lower temperatures, could be enough to grow the first trees and other plants in areas that are deserts today. Plant life in turn will further improve the local climate and support further plant life, see To start all this, it could be enough to block a few percent of the sun (emulating a more polar latitude)

There is a structural limit to the maximum achievable aspect ratio of a wing. The greater the aspect ratio, the greater efficiency (lift-to-drag ratio) the wing has. Therefore, a square wing in your image is very inefficient.

Furthermore, you must realize that while you want to reflect heat back to space, you also want to use the sun rays to power the aircraft. See the problem with that?

-t. aero engineer

jews dont want you to fix the planet.
fuck off kike

>radiate energy back to space
Pointless waste of energy. We need to absorb as much of it.

you don't get a (You)

Infrared radiation is completely worthless for our needs, thus it would be optimal to reflect away as much of it as possible

woops meant to respond to

>you don't get a (You)
>whoops, forgot to give you a (You)

Just how pudding is your brain right now?

the faggot I didn't give the (You) to posted it, to give himself one

Forget about the sea level...but for terraforming that land, this could work.

more expensive and less effective than simply reducing and counter-acting climate change in more direct ways.

>They can't hold water because they don't have plant life which fucks up the local climate.
there is PLENTY of plant life in most hot deserts, but it's all limited by water supply. it's not about holding water; it's about total precipitation, you retard.

You shouldn't call someone retarded while being retarded. Seriously you might as well make a giant space foil mirror to do it not a fucking flock of planes.
Maybe set off an ash winter surprise too, I'm sure Elon will be down with the former.

but the plane needs energy
does it absorb it or does it reflect it
make up ur mind :d

Just because you're autistic doesn't mean I am.

>we not doing this
What do you mean by ''we", Peasant?

both. partially solar cell, partially space blanket. hopefully it's possible to have way more space blanket than solar cell

Because we are not all retarded liberals?

Making the deserts arable could keep niggers in Africa. It would give us a much stronger argument for not letting them in too as we could just say they have plenty of arable area to grow their own food.

This will not work, and they already have plenty of arable land to fuck off, mate

Money...

It'll cost so much money...

>T. Someone with absolutely no sense of scale

Common, shitskins can do this
They just do this for culture/religion, not to achieve anything

>global warming
nice meme

Not talking about blocking 100% of the sky, creating an eternal night. Just a few percent could already catalyze local climate change

Also not talking about doing this over the whole world. One could start with one or two square kilometers. Another application would be above cities. That doesn't make them arable, but life quality in cities like Dubai would go up a lot

Make the desert great again.

The cost of this is absurd.

Greater action could be taken by investing in alternative energy solutions Research is already done, many solutions are already proven to have an impact on local climate, and energy can be used for other thing. Your idea, at its core, is to reduce temperature at a high price. Why not reduce temperature and power 100 homes for the same price?

Deserts provide habitat for some species. Diversity in the area would decline. Also, you would need to tether your makeshift clouds so that they do not drift into other areas, further disturbing suitable environments.

If weather variables like dust storms happen to knock these down, thats money down the drain as well as a danger to anything below. If you DO utilize a tether, it would have to extend far enough and thats additional cost as well as not eliminating the risk for fallen systems.

Good idea on paper, but not really practical for large scale practice.

You fail to understand the difference between relative humidity and absolute humidity.