Negative

Does the idea of "negative" exist in the real world, or is it just a theoretical concept?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ij-EK-MZv2Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

when someone dies there is 1 less person. or original population -1

population still positive tho desu senpai

Yes, but I mean less than 0

-OP

Theoretical concepts. Things can only exist. They can't... not exist.. but still exist enough to warrant description.

>when someone dies there is 1 less person. or original population -1

This isn't a real thing. There is only x-1 population relative to the previous population which is now altered.

Or more clearly... 1 can exist in and of itself.. but -1 can't exist without being referenced to some 'real' object.

Therefore -1 isn't 'real'.. when compared to the 'real' thing it's being referenced to.

Infact even when we say -1 is an imaginary lack of.. it references lack of something.. which causes us to 'imagine' a virtual 'real' object with which -1 can exist.

By itself -1 cannot exist. It is not a 'thing'. or an.. entity like 1 is.. it is a verb, or action.

Charge.

Charge is just how we define them. Positive and negative charge could just as easily be Porb and Flikernag charge and it wouldn't change the meaning.

What does exist in the real world?

>what is coulomb's law

was about to give the same response

but then i realized charge does actually behave very similiar in a lot of ways when you compare them to negative numbers

>he doesn't formulate his EM theory with a group action by [math]C_2[/math]

You owe (((them))) 1/12 Shekels. Therefore you have -1/12 shekels.

Neither positive nor negative numbers exist in the real world.

Numbers don't exist, they are just tools to describe our environment. The concept of dividing quantities up could very easily be a mostly human experience. Do you think ants care how much food they collect or how many larvae they spawn? All they want is "more". They could very easily create civilizations with "more" and "less" being the only concepts of quantity known to them.

Yeah yo attitude is breddy negative

numbers themselves are a theoretical concept user

Like some before me, I also think of electricity. Being opposite is not the same as being negative tho. Just because a stable state is one where a certain amount of electrons are present, could we say that a state with less electrons has a negative electron balance? I don't think so. I think it boils down to how you look at a thing. So it is abstract, and theoretical. nothing in itself has a lack of something. We see the lack based on our categorization of the thing.

antimatter pairs
electron mass 0.51MeV, charge -e
positron mass 0.51Mev, charge +e
electron-positron interaction, mass 0, charge 0

The opposite of something is its negative

your bank balance

When I lend you $20, I am giving you both +$20 (what I am physically giving you) and -$20 (what I expect to be paid back).

it means subtract.

Ever heard of photography?

what about natural numbers we use for counting?

Even then the number as a concept independent of the things being counted is theoretical.

>even
used to emphasize something surprising or extreme
but
>number as a concept independent of the things being counted is theoretical
That I already know, it's not what I'm trying to discuss.
What I'm asking is, do ojects exist without a number assigned to them (e.g. the number of trees in a forest)?

This video will help you understand
youtube.com/watch?v=ij-EK-MZv2Q

Unless the debt on my bank account is imaginary there are real concepts that can be expressed by imaginary numbers.

if you replace every single negative with positive and positive with negative on earth and in our universe nothing changes

>do ojects exist without a number assigned to them

Yes, because I can say "there is a shit ton of trees in that forest", or "there is no trees in that forest, or "there is exactly eight thousand trees in that forest".

The number is a measurement unit created by human language to describe, well, an unit. Number is a concept. Things are physical. Counting them is applying a concept to describe something purely physical.

>idea
>real world

If by real world you mean the physical word, no. Ideas are in essence things created by the mind of the people, ideas doesn't exist in the "real world", therefore, neither positive nor negative number (being numbers an idea created by humans) exist.