Musk's Mars Meme Getting BTFO

>Professor disagrees with Elon Musk’s Mars colonization plans:
pulseheadlines.com/professor-disagrees-with-elon-musks-mars-colonization-plans/64560/
>Fiala believes humanity can’t leave Earth before solving the environmental problems here
>That led Fiala to discuss another important aspect of Musk’s colonization plans: the cost. Fiala and many other experts believe that probably only the upper class of society will have the opportunity to visit –or colonize- the Red Planet.
>The professor ultimately believes that Mars colonization may only be a luxury that few people can enjoy
Is he right, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

plannedscape.net/Fiala/nostalgia-poor-guide/
youtube.com/watch?v=4cvGGxTsQx0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_tourism#List_of_flown_space_tourists
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_tourism#Lunar_space_tourism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_on_the_Moon#Companies
unfccc.int/paris_agreement/items/9485.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So fucking what haha of course it's going to be expensive, the opportunity won't just be handed out to everybody straight away

Well let's see his points one by one

>But one of the biggest critics of Musk’s plan cites the subjects of ethics and humanity’s responsibility to take care of our planet before going to another and ruining that one, too.
That's what a professor who enjoys the smell of his own farts would say.

>fresno state u
ranked almost 400 nationally, can a professor teaching in that university be that good?

>“Until we evolve ethically, we ought not leave this planet and destroy another,” wrote Fiala. “The colonizing impulse is connected to the hubris that created climate catastrophe.”
This is all liberal bullshit. He's talking about his feelings as if they were the moral compass that all humans should have. Talk about hubris lmao

>“It seems especially unfair for rich people, who already burn more than their fair share of carbon, to head off the planet, leaving behind a ruined world inhabited by poor people with no hope of departure,” wrote Fiala.
So basically FUCK RICH PEOPLE AND FUCK WHITE PEOPLE. He's mad he can't afford it.

>The professor ultimately believes that Mars colonization may only be a luxury that few people can enjoy and that it is a violation of the principles of environmental justice.
Environmental justice? What the fuck is that?

Personally I think it won't be done any time soon because of costs, logistics and an overall lack of interest. But the whole arguments of this professor are basically like a kid throwing a tantrum.

this is just another communist professor bitching about musk to be recognized by Pravda readers.

He's right though.
There's no reason to allow people to pay $500,000 for a ticket, which is the equivalent of throwing money into the garbage.

There should be at least a 95% carbon tax on Mars tickets (the rocket uses a carbon-based fuel, after all) so that anyone that wants to go must pay $10,000,000, $9,500,000 of which goes towards reducing carbon emissions worldwide.

Ok. Start by enforcing the Paris Agreement on China. Fuckers sign it to appear hip and cool to liberal retards on the West but because there is no enforcing party they go back to their countries and increase emissions without giving a fuck. Gullible idiots piss me off so much.

>Is he right, Veeky Forums?
Not really.
The fact we can't take care of our own planet only really allows one to say they are sceptical of us being able to terraform another one. It doesn't provide a barrier to doing it.

This professor has just spouted cliche talking points, this hardly blows the fuck out of "Musk's Mars Meme".
>"It seems especially unfair for rich people... to head off the planet, leaving behind a ruined world"
The idea that this is going to turn into some sort of HG Wells-esque class divide is laughable. A life threatening voyage to a desolate planet is hardly a privilege.

In terms of cost, India recently had a Mars mission that was relatively cheap, these price tags depend on the economy and human ingenuity, of which both are fluid.

>WHITE PEOPLE
He doesn't mention white people, stop playing the victim card.

>Fuckers sign it to appear hip and cool to liberal retards on the West
International diplomacy isn't a youtube comment section. China's behaviour will lead to a reduction in global emissions.

>not everyone can go so no one can go
That professor is retarded.

>A life threatening voyage to a desolate planet is hardly a privilege.
It is when on Earth every 1st world country is being overrun and replaced by religious fanatics.

China isn't obligated to do anything Paris related until 2030. Meanwhile they are still going to be burning as much coal as the rest of the world put together. Burning it in much smaller and older plants. which pollute more than a modern western coal plant. any solar/wind they are adding, is not replacing coal power it is in addition to the coal.

china also has horrible vehicle emission standards. lots of people still burning green wood and causing a lot of particulate emissions.

they are moving a lot of heavy industry to africa. where they are probably scheming to get western aid money to african nations. to develop their own industry in africa.

>they are moving a lot of heavy industry to africa. where they are probably scheming to get western aid money to african nations. to develop their own industry in africa.
The only reason why China is in favour of carbon credits (but not the only reason why carbon credits are retarded).

He is entirely right and only deluded fanboys and /pol/ will say otherwise.

The whole mars colonization (who thought using that word is remotely good idea?) is upper class romanticism mixed in with nice dose of neo-imperialism.

China already signed the Paris Agreement unlike redneckistan with its bright orange tinted leader.

As a PR move. They are under no obligation to do anything about their emissions, the Paris Agreement was either written in such a way to hamper the West, or was made by very naive people.

I don't really give a damn what he thinks. Scientists need to step aside and let the engineers actually get shit done. If Spacex can do 10% of what they've set out to do pure market forces will bring us the rest of the way.
>b-but my climate
The planet can suck my dick. I'm leaving this rock as soon as I can buy my ticket. All kinds of potential resources on Mars I'm not going to miss my chance to be the Rockefeller of the martian colony.

Today's CPUs are produced in facilities whose cost is well out of the reach of everyone except the very richest. Despite that, even some of the world's poorest in shitholes like Cambodia can afford access to this technology.

What I'm getting at is two-fold. Firstly, people without a hope in hell of affording to visit Mars will benefit from the technology that will require investing in, if only indirectly.

Secondly, the rich require the poor. The rich become rich by leveraging small amounts of value off large amounts of people. There will be a role for non-rich in any society of rich people, to do shit for the rich.

As an addendum to the second point, probably any society supported by the rich will have a majority non-rich population, just because of those support staff. We can automate a lot of things, but we'll still probably want humans doing stuff for or around us, if only for our own mental health.

hey dipshit, have you even read the paris agreement at all?
I'd bet 100 billion dollars you haven't

>the very first colony ships to another planet are expensive
>thus, we shouldn't consider colonizing another planet at all ever
someone shove this faggot out of a helicopter
no shit, things have have never been done before will be pricey, but naturally, as the technology improves, and there are more ships going back and forth, it will get cheaper, just like absolutely fucking everything else has in history
just more bullshit spouted by liberal arts fuckmuppets and their brain damaged cultists

Holy crap. I've never seen so many ad-hominems in a single post outside of /pol/. Ooooh...

>>Fiala believes humanity can’t leave Earth before solving the environmental problems here

So, we aren't "allowed" to leave the planet until all the whites are taxed to death to pay for free gibs, huh?

>Is he right, Veeky Forums?
No

>Fiala believes humanity can’t leave Earth before solving the environmental problems here
Why does this bullshit keep popping up time and time again. It's a shit argument, and it will always be a shit argument.

The 2 aren't mutually exclusive. They are in fact complementary.
We want to save the planet to ensure the survival of our species,
We want to colonize space to ensure the survival of our species.

Colonizing space might actually help us here on Earth.
On Mars every resource is scarce and everything is hostile.
We'll have to create technologies that will help us survive there.
These technologies can be used to help us lower our footprint here on Earth and help people who live in hostile climates.

>“Until we evolve ethically, we ought not leave this planet and destroy another,” wrote Fiala. “The colonizing impulse is connected to the hubris that created climate catastrophe.”

No, our ever increasing demand for energy caused that.

>“It seems especially unfair for rich people, who already burn more than their fair share of carbon, to head off the planet, leaving behind a ruined world inhabited by poor people with no hope of departure,” wrote Fiala.
No actual rich people will go there for at least another 100 years. Not while they can make millions here on Earth.

>professor of philosophy
Why are todays philosophers so full of themselves while spouting so much shit?

I bet most of them couldn't even complete a real analysis course if they were given 10 years to do it.

>upper class romanticism mixed in with nice dose of neo-imperialism.

And that is what pushes humanity forward.

>until all the whites
>FUCK WHITE PEOPLE

what's with this victim card nonsense here?

>upper class romanticism mixed in with nice dose of neo-imperialism
I'm not a deluded fanboy or a /pol/ imbecile. I'm middle class and anti imperialist.
I'm a futurist and therefore believe this is a good idea.

>Fresno State University
>Professor of Philosophy

>we must fix A before we do B
>we must colonize the rest of the Earth before colonizing anything else
>us poor people don't have enough money, waaaa

Literally shit reasoning for anything at all. Like 8yo logic skills.

Do you know how Musk will be BTFO for Mars colonization? There's really only one reason.

JELLO BABIES
JELLO BABIES
JELLO BABIES

>The 2 aren't mutually exclusive. They are in fact complementary.
Spending money on Mars rockets is a waste of resources when there are still pressing climate change issues to be solved.

Spending money on Mars rockets is negligible compared to the global GPD.
With just 1 Billion dollars a year we'd be on Mars in 2 decades.

Besides, you can credit Musk for making electric vehicles attractive.

If you wanna blame anyone why not blame consumerism, billions of dollars spent on shit you don't need. Your wife spending 250 on a new pair of shoes she doesn't need.
Good chemists and pharmacists trying to create a new flavor of breakfast cereal that makes you want to binge eat the whole box making the world just a bit fatter and unhealthier instead of working on science.

There is all this pointless shit and you tell me this isn't a priority. go fuck yourself, get your own priorities straight first.

The long term effect from low gravity on the human body is literally the only good argument there is.

Those billions would be better spent building fields of solar panels and battery storage units.

Mars rockets also contribute to the problem by adding even more CO2 to the atmosphere.

Don't you just love it, when some leftard fuckface with """"progressive"""" written all over his face, wants to be the ball and chain to actual positive progress?

>Besides, you can credit Musk for making electric vehicles attractive.
Personal vehicles are a waste of energy, electric or not.
All transportation should move in the direction of large trains which require little energy to use and are safe. Musk is taking things in the wrong direction.

No true Scottsman.

>jews
>put the
>put the jews on mars

I already blame consumerism for the current state of the global economy.
People so obsessed with buying useless shit for cheap that it's become ingrained in their way of thought, as if they NEED to buy a computer every couple of years, even though theirs works just fine.

Anyways, let's not delude ourselves into thinking that private sector money has anything to do with public sector money. That billion dollars a year is either going to come out from a handful of very rich men, or from the autismbux of broke ass minorities.

>Can't leave earth until we solve all the problems here.

ell, we have finally found somebody whose ideas on colonizing Mars are even goofier than Mr. Musk's.

>as if they NEED to buy a computer every couple of years
you either wanted to say phone, or don't know that plebs regularly kept their PC's for over a decade, which led to ridiculously slow ass transition to 64bit consumer systems (which were a thing since motherfucking 2004, but only really caught on like 3 years ago) or you mean people who actually want to utilize new software, in which case you have an utterly fucked definition of "works just fine"

>tfw cpu cores are no longer increasing in speed nearly at all, like they were in the 1990s, just slap in more cores, more memory
>why? oh because new software is coded using editor programs that leave them sloppy and buggy and bloated resource hogs
>gotta have that extra core for processing the extra bloat

Ever since Y2K my OCD has been off the charts triggered by everything from shitty HTML to games that run exclusively on Java. Don't get me started on at hip new programming languages.

Professor Fiala on why the increasing number of Turks and Africans in Germany is always worthy of celebration, and whites can complain about migration the day they leave America back to its natives:

plannedscape.net/Fiala/nostalgia-poor-guide/

This is all a prequel to DOOM. Elon is going to send a bunch of important rich scientists to mars. Some where along the line he will change the company's to UAC. Revolutionize the energy business, blah blah, hell on Earth.

>The professor ultimately believes that Mars colonization may only be a luxury that few people can enjoy
That's the point, leave the trash and niggers behind. Or did he think we were gonna bring self-detonating muzzies to Mars so they can shit up another planet in the name of allah the cocksucker?

white genocider getting absolutely BTFO

Newsflash. Jews are terrified Whites will leave the planet before they can be fully "enriched." They are scared they won't be able to neutralize their ancient racial enemy before Whites find a workaround.

>enslave, torture, and kill other races for thousands of years
>get butthurt and try to escape the planet we decide to return the favor

Whites, everyone.

everyone was killing, enslaving, torturing each other

whites just did it best in the end, then did an about face for some reason and started letting everyone do what they want

Mars Congressional Republic when?

>only the very rich would colonize the Red Planet.
And the smartest 1% on Earth.

So stop being brainlets. Let's study harder to join the 1% Intellectual Elite. Work out your Noggin.

If You or our parents are not 1% richest Millionaires then that's not a problem.

We just need to make an effort to get a stellar academic curriculum then make effort to be in the Smartest 1%.

Fuck the Niggers, Chads, Normies & Brainlets left on Earth.

There's never been a clear line between eras. Technology doesn't set a social milestone for people as we like to think it does. If anything, this will be a step forward in the progress of earth because while people are off ruining mars, poor fags will take good care of the planet hehehehhh

you can't reason with these people. they think everyone is equal. that only the racist, facist, imperialist, mysogynist, and capitalist system keeps everyone poor and stupid.

And he can't stop people from doing it.

Hint: no one owns Mars, and if you have the ability to go there, you can go there.

>: no one owns Mars,
until there is a self sufficient martian colony. then someone on mars becomes the leader and declares Mars an independent nation.

ah yes of course. higher standards of living, higher education and so on is totally not related with the wealth of a nation. that's why african countries manage to have as many nobel prizes per capita as the nordic countries. if you're born poor it's your fault you don't die a billionaire ;)

Why should anyone care what a no name humanities professor at an ass tier State University has to say about Elon's mars plans? Or for that matter care about what he has to say on anything in general.

That Philosophy Professor at Shit tier University is just a Jealous Brainlet

A Jealous Philosophy Brainlet that will never be allowed in Elon Musk Crew and will die on Earth.

You're implying that they all weren't better off being uplifted.

Australian aboriginals and American negroes prefer to live off the government and modern trappings that going back to how they were.

>only rich people can afford interplanetary travel
Wow, quite the message this guy is sending.

you know this is a every board is some kind of /pol/ colony at this point

>>The professor ultimately believes that Mars colonization may only be a luxury that few people can enjoy
After Jamal had his fun with my wife and my kids we must pay his ticket to Mars?

>luxury
>mars

top kek

Racial Diversity Quotas on Mars would be awful & Catastrophic.

Leave the trash, niggers & muslims behind

Imagine the Niggers & Muslims Rioting & Spreading Violence on Mars.
Destroying the Mars Base because a Random Nigger or Muslim Died on Earth.

Imagine on Mars Niggers & Muslims Cucking Whites, impregnating White Woman, making them Single Moms, & running away from their own Children

Imagine Niggers & Muslims multiplying at faster rate on Mars & Overpopulating it.

No, I really meant to say PC.
A while back I had a discussion with a german dude about that exact topic on /int/. It was then that I realized that the average person--not even the average consumerist--now have unrealistic expectations for the prices of goods, subsidized by the slave labor of inferior countries. Subsidized prices on these goods causes a certain amount of consumerism to be internalized by everybody, meaning that at their core, people either replace some of the most expensive devices in their homes every few years, or get the feeling that they should (regardless of their ability to pay). This leads to a cycle of waste which I'm sure you're familiar with.
When ordinary people are met with the realization that their way of thinking is actually consumerist in nature, you get genuine surprise and a strong unwillingness to let go of these prices.

I would always be willing to pay for devices at their actual value, made in their home countries for a fair wage and a cleaner output. It wouldn't eliminate consumerism, but the current abjectly immoral state of manufacturing certainly exacerbates the problems.

Literally who?

Obviously not everyone is going to be able to afford a ticket to mars, travel costs and housing are going to be expensive, doesn't mean we shouldn't try to reach mars. It's like flying, the first plane tickets might have been expensive but eventually it'll be affordable for a good amount of people.

Humanity doesn't have to focus on just one thing, who says we can't fix global warming and try to reach mars at the same time. Rocket scientists do their thing, environmental scientists do theirs.

Trains are already mostly clean (at least where I live), having cleaner cars is the right move to make since you can't force people to just ride trains instead, and personal vehicles are needed anyway. They have more flexibility and freedom than trains.

>Racial Diversity Quotas on Mars would be awful & Catastrophic.

Yes, but they will certainly happen. People will say "let's re-create the beautiful diversity of Earth :^)" and no-one will be able to say "Yeah, let's not, because fuck niggers".

>JELLO BABIES
>JELLO BABIES
>JELLO BABIES

This.

There's not enough gravity for proper growth of babies and children on Mars.

>which is the equivalent of throwing money into the garbage

No, it directly pays the salaries of thousands of people with skilled engineering and manufacturing jobs.

>There's not enough gravity for proper growth of babies and children on Mars.

Source?
No reduced gravity experiments have ever been done, we only know about 1G and zero G.

>philosophy

People keep shilling against him and he keeps succeeding. I used to doubt him in the past, but not anymore.

I think Musk is very much overestimating how much people would want to go there. You can go to space right now for 20 million which tens of thousands of people could afford and yet almost nobody does it. According to wikipedia there have been 7 space tourists all in all. Its going to be the same with Mars. They will have trouble finding people who actually want to go there.

He supports global warming
Such an idiot will sink soon

I'm sure there will be a curve for health in regard to 0g to 1g. The question is, "where's the tipping point for health?" Mars is 0.377g. Ergo, 37.7% of Earth gravity. Do you think that is below or above the tipping point on the health curve?

This is why we need centrifugal artificial gravity labs in space. I'm hoping the next space station will have a lab specifically for that purpose. Hell, just preventing VIIP will be a major advancement. All the micro-gravity experiments have shown to be disastrous for human health. Even if we find the tipping point for human health in regard to gravity, we will still need to find it for infant health. There's a chance they are different due to developmental needs.

Personally, I'd rather not hear about the "sad news" of the first Marian birth being miscarried, stillborn, or born deformed with bones that never quite stop being brittle as all fuck.

>steroids
>osteoprosis drugs
>exercise

why the fuck does everybody just assume everbody wants to go to mars. how many people have climbed mount everest or have gone to the mariana trench? pretty much nobody and that is because there is nothing really to do there. same goes for mars and thats why it will never be colonised.

>supports global warming

I'd do both of those things if they were not super expensive.

>humanity can’t leave Earth before solving the environmental problems here

Yep, just like how Europe had to solve their environmental problems back in the 1600's before colonizing North America

have fun with billions of people migrating from coasts to the inner land as well as from the south to the north.

>You can go to space right now for 20 million which tens of thousands of people could afford and yet almost nobody does it.
>They will have trouble finding people who actually want to go there.

For example Billionaires like Bill Gates or even Donald Trump certainly have enough money.

But they are not physically fit enough.

But Space is dangerous. NASA Space Shuttles exploded twice (Challenger & Columbia).

Even Elon Musk SpaceX rockets exploded several times.
youtube.com/watch?v=4cvGGxTsQx0

Like he's in favor of it or just believes it is true?

If I had the money, I would do it in a heart beat, but only if there was a destination, not just some orbital shit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_tourism#List_of_flown_space_tourists

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_tourism#Lunar_space_tourism
>In February 2017, Elon Musk announced that substantial deposits from two individuals had been received by Space X for a Moon loop flight using a free return trajectory and that this could happen as soon as late 2018.[33] Musk said that the cost of the mission would be "comparable" to that of sending an astronaut to the International Space Station, about $70 million US dollars in 2017.[34]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_on_the_Moon#Companies

We need to purge philosophy from this board. It isn't science it's bullshit

Alright buddy! I'm SURE that is just as dangerous as travelling through space on what is basically a giant bomb.

He thinks that efforts to reduce carbon will prevent global warming, but that is a big mistake
It worsens global warming
Cuz phytoplankton will interfere with the global warming of the earth using carbon dioxide and methane

USGS already returned the palm of the hand

The only correct thing is the phytoplankton global cooling theory

It's putting your life into your own hands, rather than the hands of politicians who don't care about you.

Oh look another conspiratard.

You've intentionally misrepresented the article there so you can play the victim card

Think you're on the wrong board user(s), /pol/ is that-a-way

And?

Space travel is haram
they'd need to remove some of their religious restrictions to allow a devout muslim into space

He is correct. Read it yourself:

unfccc.int/paris_agreement/items/9485.php

It is nothing more than virtue signalling and hand tying. I rather that wasn't true, I think something needs to be done, as course of action for the environment (not because of scare terms like "global warming"), but it needs to be correct and that agreement just isn't it by a long long shot.

We are talking about fetuses and infants, not 20-30 year olds.

Those criticisms all sound like features to me

>Human progress must be held back forever because of muh equality

muh equality
everyone deserves to go to mars whether they contributed anything for it or not you fucking NAZI

This is the dumbest shit ever. It's the whole-species equivalent of saying you can't walk and chew bubblegum at the same time, and it's a grave insult to our collective capacities.

And aside from that, it's literally impossible to have all humans or even all scientists and engineers working on the same problem. Most of the people currently working at places like NASA and SpaceX probably have little interest or education in climate science and aren't suited for that kind of work at all and it'd be a tragic waste of talent to shoehorn them into environmental work.

It's so stupid. People working in the space industry are the only sciencey types that have to deal with this line of thought.

never understood the point of this meme

What a well reasoned argument, you've really convinced me there

I have no problem with disagreeing opinions, what I do have is a problem with intellectual dishonesty (through misrepresentation) and shitposting, and that's what most of the pol leakage is, so please go back to pol and/or commit suicide

the future survival of the human race does not lie in colonizing Mars
or in colonizing any other planets

A planetary system is the most inefficient way to support life
you are literally only living on the surface of the planet
510.1 million km squared
the earth's Volume is about 1.08 trillion cubic km

you are literally only using 0.00047231 % of the planet

your sun is 1.989 x 1030 kilograms worth of hydrogen
do you know how much fuel that is
and the energy created by the sun
An estimated 173,000 terawatts of solar energy hits the earth
think of how much is just drained into space

Now imagine mining the entire solar system to create a fleet of starships
but we'd need to fuel that fleet
the best source of power is the sun
but the sun is a yellow star it's burning through it's fuel
fairly quickly by intergalactic standards
But our solar system has Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, and Uranus
if we were to siphon our sun into 5 equal sized Dwarf stars
they'd burn a lot longer than our sun will
and they might even be small enough to build a dyson sphere and starship around
especially if we can develop gravitic technology and gravitic engines
by the time we finish mining the solar system

after all if we want to survive the heat death of the Galaxy
we can't be living on planets or we'll die along with our mother star
but to survive
we must evolve and most especially we must evolve past the childish
and outdated notion of equality, not everyone is biologically suited for space travel
most of the human race and the ecosystem we evolved from will have to die
space travel can't afford genetic weakness and diseases
Obesity, allergies, mental illness, genetic diseases, and those who suffer from them
will never survive the first chapter of the true race to space

As well as most of the animals that live on earth.
They will also die in the glorious Mass Extinction to the stars
Their Genetic information will be preserved, as part of the greatest genetic library.

>What a well reasoned argument
"ur lyin about what he said" isn't a well reasoned argument in the first place

The guy's a fag who jerks off over whites going extinct, fuck him