DON QUIXOTE READ THROUGH

Greetings friends!

ITT we hash out the details of the read through, such as:

>deciding which translation to use

>starting date

>reading schedule (how many chapters per day etc...)

>anything else you can think of

Poll
strawpoll.me/12146417

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!VANiTKYZ!HEO-5zzoegwgBt8djXxb_A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If dubs we just watch Lost in La Mancha and discuss that

I propose that we start on the 25th and use the Grossman or the OJB translation. We should also read 50 pages a day

No strong opinions regarding translation or start date but I feel like 40-50 a day is a good range.

Feb. 1 start
Choose your own translation (I'm going to read smollett's)
I don't know how long the chapters are (or even if there are chapters) but that would be an easier was of dividing the readings up since people will probably have different editions with different page numbers.

I'd like to read part 2 again and I can read Spanish, so I'm in for the second part and hope there's going be anons reading in Spanish.

>translations
Eso sería comfy.

We should probably give a warning that part 1 and part 2 are very different, so those who complain about the first one should be told to hold out until the second.

I just see a lot of people complaining that either the book's humour is just really crude, or they complain about the numerous digressive stories, both of which is turned down considerably in the second part, which was published 10 years later.

>Claims themselves to be lit/, reading translations...
Not learning Spanish only to read Don Quijote, plebs.

Good point, move the start date to Feb. 1, 2019

Upvote :^)

>translations
JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA. I haven't read it yet though.

Why do you cocksuckers come here and propose we all read highschool lit

Not all of us went to a Spanish high school.
Any book can be high school lit, btw.

Do Burton Raffel

Did you read it?

> Yeah, I fell for this bait

You fuckers voted this in when I SPECIFICALLY ASKED YOU NOT TOO BECAUSE I'M ALREADY READING IT! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>reading in spanish

Si te interesa voy a estar para la segunda parte porque la primera la leí hace poco. Tengo la edición conmemorativa del IV centenario de la RAE publicado por Alfaguara.

>ebooks and audiobook
mega.nz/#F!VANiTKYZ!HEO-5zzoegwgBt8djXxb_A

The audiobook is uploading.

What's the best spanish version?

the one by cervantes

evan.

audiobook is done uploading.

folder has Lathrop, Smollett, and Grossman and the audiobook for Grossman.

i agree with this guy

I like Lathrops translation a lot. I also own it in physical form.

Grossman is greatest because audiobook.

>tfw too indecisive for numerous translation options

I'll follow through reading in spanish. I need a little practice anyhow, my 'portunhol' is rusted a little...

I know this feel

>tfw got a copy of Don Quixote for Christmas from my retired spanish teacher Grandma
Looks like I have to read it now.

Thanks user

OP here

So far:

>you will choose whatever translation you please, or Spanish, if you are a "patricio"

>We will begin our reading on February 1

>We will read approximately 50 pages a day (five chapters)

I will assemble a reading schedule soon, how many rest/catch up days do you guys think we should have? I was thinking one every 20 chapters and a couple days right before the last 10 chapters. Give me some feedback

Just so you know OP, we read 50 pages a day in W&P and people said that was a tiny bit too fast. I would try 40-45.

>good enough at Spanish that I'd feel guilty about reading a translation
>not good enough at Spanish that I could keep pace with the reading group

JUST

It's alright bro, you can read it for the first time in translation and reread it when you're better at spanish.

If you start now, you'll be fine. There will be catch-up days.

If you start with us, it might be hard.

Cool, I bought this book a long time ago but it has just been sitting in my closet. I'll start reading now, because I'm a slow reader. I've done reading groups before and they force me to read more.

Maybe this would be better, but I think the main problem with W&P was the date. I was on the group and I'm still reading but way behind the group. There was Christmas and New Year, I guess a lot of people travel on these dates. Even with catch-up days it gets discouraging when you are more than 100 pages behind. At least this was my case, I knew it would be impossible to stay on schedule, but at least it encouraged me to read W&P.

Grossman is god-tier. Especially with the annotations.

I should know since I have only read Grossman.

Alright boys, this is my pathetic attempt at a schedule. I only outlined the first part of the book. Where should the rest days go? I was thinking in between each part (ex: P1, P2, etc...)

also, the pages per days comes out to about 45

>translations
el gringANO

Estos gringos no van a entender nada sin antes leerse el Amadis de Gaula.

Yes, they will, gato soplanucas

La primera vez que leí el Quijote no había leído Gaula y lo que decís es mentira. No seas ridículo.

i like it, but may be too pushing for some

I'm 70 pages into Crime and Punishment, so I pretty much have until Feb 1 to finish. Shouldn't take me too long.

OP again...

New schedule with rest days

Average pages per day: 37

I'm reading it now but I looked into translation comparisons before starting and Grossman is way better than any other one I could find. Just look at the first paragraphs, clearly better at conveying tone.

I'm going to Madrid in the summer to learn Spanish. Perfect time to read Don Quixote.
Thanks for getting it started OP.

good stuff OP, seems fine

I've had Don Quixote sitting on my shelf for about a year now, guess I better get A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man finished and join in with this. I've no idea if my translation is any good since I just got it in a charity shop but it'll do.

Motteux produced an important translation of Cervantes' Don Quixote; this 4-volume 1700-03 edition (3rd edition in 1712) was credited as "translated from the original by many hands and published by Peter Motteux." Very popular in its own era, Motteux's version of the work has been condemned by later, more rigorous translators, for:
adopting a frivolous style, compared to the mock-serious and ironic tone of the original;
turning Don Quixote and Sancho Panza into buffoons;
casting the work in a "Franco-Cockney" rather than a Spanish ambience.

ruh roh maybe not

>worse than worthless
Honestly I don't see it myself, but I only read a bit of his. Grossman's good.

reading about a bit it seems most think the tone is fine, I'm just gonna stick with it since I'm not flush with cash atm

Yeah. Maybe we should split up the group in faster and slower groups though.

Just add a catch-up-day here and there and you'll be good.

when do we start?

I agree with adding catch up days, best way to please near everyone.

I might join the read through for part 2 since I am already bearly done with part 1

I won't vote in the poll though just in case

>We will begin our reading on February 1

Someone pls post a sample of the most well-regarded translations for those too lazy for google.

I've never been part of one of these reading groups. Is it worth it? Is there actually any good or interesting discussion, or is it all memes?

Also, the ormsby (old norton) translation is the one I chose.

It's already been posted in the thread you lazy sack of shit.

>mega.nz/#F!VANiTKYZ!HEO-5zzoegwgBt8djXxb_A

OP are we gonna get a chat room up for the read through?

I think that daily or bi daily threads seemed to work fine in comc and wprg. If enough people would like to get a chat room going then you could do that. Im bad with computer stuff if you couldn't tell by my chart

The first few days will have discussion, then people will lose interest and there will only be memes.

please no, let's just keep threads here

is this true? that's pretty off-putting.

Maybe something that isn't as long of a haul, like short stories or individual poems would be a better idea. It should reduce the depressing drop off in numbers later on. I've been part of a few groups before, though not centered around literature, and when the event/project/whatever finally launches/starts, everyone is surprised at how fast people drop off the map and how nothing ever gets off of the ground. It happens every single time.

Here's a short story group And a Start with the Greeks group That user is partly right partly bullshit. Yes people will lose interest and leave, but enough will stay. Discussion will vary based on interest. And memeing is half the fun.

If you stick with it and participate in discussions, that's one more that will.

I have a Penguin Classics edition translated by JM Cohen, think that'll be alright?

You got an older translation that was more popular in the 20th century. You should consider buying a more recent one.

Enough will stay to perpetuate memes. Look at the War and Peace group. Around 2 weeks in only a few people were posting with minimal serious discussion, whereas the first few days had paragraphs of interpretation and expectation. A major problem is the length of these books for readthroughs, where several people still participating will just still be behind and therefore unable to provide discussion relevant to where the group is actually at, and there's no incentive for them to discuss past things because everybody's already moved past them.

I support this thread, though I will not be participating. Personally, I used the Penguin Classic edition. My general skepticism with re-reading Quixote is the translation meme. This may just be verifiable heresay, but I've had friends completely unrelated to the study of literature tell me that reading the original in Spanish is sublime and that the English really undercuts it (assuming here everyone is shooting for an English translation). I just imagine what it would be like if I were Chilean and tried to read Midsummer Night's Dream. I wouldn't get half the value, and the other half I would think was a silly plot. However, this analogy doesn't particularly hold for Quixote because I think the plot is strong enough to stand against any translation (so long as the translator doesn't disfigure key passages etc.). I forget what critic invoked this idea (could be Eliot in his "What is a Classic?" essay), but I think it's a rather obvious stipulation that some stories are just too good not to tell, and likewise some stories are too good not to be heard. But, for now, methinks I will wait until I can hear it told in the best manner before I revisit this classic.

>methinks
Stopped reading and wiped what you said from my memory right there.

>not stopping at verifiable heresay
Stopped reading and wiped what you said from my memory right there.

This is going to be a fun read through.

i thought everyone hated the grossman translation?

We only say that to be contrarian and because we hate women.

When it comes down to it, she or Lathrop are the ones to read.

Is my old P.A. Motteux translation any good? Apparently it was done in 1712. Idk if I'll be in the reading group or not, but just out of curiosity because I picked it up used a couple years ago and haven't read it yet.

Any opinions on the Starkie translation? I was a bit through that one and I've since lost it, so I'm debating either getting Grossman or replacing my Starkie.

I have a spanish version, I've been meaning to read it, so I guess I'll follow this group.

Since we are still about a week and a half away, I shall claim the first
donkey hot tea meme

Burp of life.

>Lose the original thread
>Buy Moby Dick thinking it will win
>Mfw I see this thread

>paying for works in the public domain

Boys, if there are actually 63 of you fuckers that are going to participate in the read along, that would be fantastic

I'll be there, man. It'll just be you and me.

it will probably lessen over time but i hope that people will stick with it. im looking forward to it.

I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real
The needle tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything

What have I become?
My dearest friend
Everyone I know
Goes away
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

yes?

fuckin hell its like 800-1000 pages long depending on translations aaargh, is it worth it boys, is it a fucking Veeky Forums read

according to my japanese animes yes

You have to add to the schedule the author's preface and the commendatory verses before Chapter 1.

OP here

You will be responsible for reading those. It's only like ten or so pages.

It's an incredible book and has something for everyone, I think. According to the little I've read and seen about it, there's a huge layer of deeper meaning that can be found, but even aside from that it's a great adventure story with novellas interspersed throughout for variety and meaning, so an advanced or novice reader could enjoy it just as well.

According to Harold Bloom it's the best novel ever written to date.

this is going to fail

>Implying that's not The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman