Who was in the wrong here?

Who was in the wrong here?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations#Exceptions
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They are both correct in the context of the calculators' evaluation rules.

What's your stance on implicit multiplication?

Is 1/2πi = πi/2 or 1/2πi = 1/(2πi)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations#Exceptions

Casio was "wrong".
The standard way to do these operations is the aditions from left to right and then the multiplications from left to right.

>your stance
We at Veeky Forums don't take a "stance",
we examine data and develop a theory
to explain those data.
Lrn2science fgt pls

Pemdas mothercucker

What does the casio say when you put a * after the first 2?

>he needs an acronym to perform basic operations

That's why I'm a TI boy

it's not even an acronym
technically it's a mnemonic
learn the difference

That is one shitty calculator you got there OP

I thought everybody just wrote it out as a fraction and then there is no ambiguity. Why would you type it like that? Is there an actual reason why, other than to make these stupid threads?

>"I hate word problems, why can't the math teacher give us just equations to solve?"

>Is there an actual reason why, other than to make these stupid threads?
No. Most calculators would even give an error for an expression like that

To get 9 you either use a fraction do describe 6:2 or parenthesis. Otherwise, the last number in that division is the one that is multiplied by (2+1)

you are mistaken. to get 9 the calculation resolves to 6/2 x 3, to get 1 the calculation is 6/(2x3)

an answer of 1 is "more" correct since the order or operations follows left to right, whereas 9 requires you to solve the furthest right multiplication before doing the division

that's exactly what I said you illiterate retard.

No, PEMDAS is an acronym. "Please excuse my dear aunt Sally" is a mnemonic

They both make sense in their respective contexts. When using a calculator, you obviously want order of operations. When designing a smartphone you want to make sure it evaluates from left to right, as they are made for the general brainlet public.

you are a retard

i hope for your sake that you don't use that casio

If the answer is 9 you have to answer the question by first doing 6/2 then multiplying by (2+1), however, if you are to multiply like that there would have to be parentheses around 6/2 in order to justify it, no way around it. If the answer is 9 then you are able to rewrite the question as (6(2+1))/2 or (6/2)(2+1) when it is obviously not intended to be written as that. Those are just shitty calculators that fuck up when doing basic algebra.

Hey look, it's another "order of operations matters outside of middle school math class" thread