I R O N G O L D
R
O
N
G
O
L
D

Any good fantasy with a little girl protagonist?

I've been memed this is rubbish

>he doesn't like Loli princess adventures

I recommend "Ready Player One", this book is awesome :)
Is about a video game simulation

is the new series really out this year?

probably gonna drop before it goes full bore lesbian street gang

August 24, 2017

I want a book with characters I can fall in love with T_T

Im reading Ark Royal Series
3 first books were pretty ok 4th one was bad
Probably will finish it then read The Foundation

Hyperion

Shaeönanra did nothing wrong.

Also, how come he refers to the Sranc as his children? Aren't they the children of Nin'janjin?

>Is about a video game simulation
No. Is about references to 80s movies.

who is this semen demon ?

How good is the Malazan Book of the Fallen series?

Why didn't inchoroi give consult immortality like they did to nonmen?
Surely having some memory problems is better than being literal sack of shit

Really good if you like 11,147 page long epic fantasy.

For what purpose would they do that?

Also they could just be experimenting with different methods of achieving immortality

I'm reading the golden compass and I'm a bit iffy on something:

is severing supposed to be a metaphor for circumcision or castration? It's clearly one of the two since the describe it as a "little cut" they perform on prepubescent kids in order to keep them from thinking all the feeling all those things that come hand-in-hand with puberty

Castration seems the obvious one but circumcision kind of works too and while there are plenty of abrahamic mandates for circumcision I have yet to hear of one for castration that isn't exclusive for rapists or oxen

i'm about 30% thru dis wan, bretty good

Old greek style metaphysics. Heroes might start mortal, but are quickly marked and do larger than life deeds. Gods are flawed and meddle all the time.
The author's anthropological background shows in the quality of the world building.

Writes great banter between characters, but I find the writing style as a whole lacking and had to take a break from reading the series after a while, despite liking it, because it was starting to get a bit grating.

One of the better examples of contemporary fantasy, but not quite as good as its rabid fans would like you to think.

sex and hyperviolence, if anybody's interested :

goodreads.com/book/show/8061588-de-sade-assassins

It it acceptable to have fantasy religion's symbol be the head of a growling wolf, or do the Starks of Winterfell have a monopoly on wolf motifs?

Is it*

I don't think it's supposed to be directly either. It has elements of both, as you said.

>it's a Felisin chapter

everyone post your most hated /sffg/ POV's

Sansa

Fuck that cunt.

What do you guys think of the Witcher saga? I'm about halfway through The Last Wish, and I'm enjoying it so far. Is it one of those series that turn to shit fast, or is it consistently decent?

>Hmmm, my audience seems to enjoy Geralt and his adventures. Guess I better make my full length books about Ciri and how awesome she is and how much her lapdog Geralt adores her.

What's a good story with a lich?

puella magi madoka magica

I think one of the Raymond E Feist books I read had a lich in it, but it was one of the later, shittier books.

>it's a Esmenet chapter

I dunno about the Starks but Norse paganism maybe.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenrir

>my empress, uh, shit's on fire, everyone's dying, and enemies are besieging the capital with what appears to be an enemy sorcer-
>SILENCE! where is my baby boy! i want my son!

Last Wish and Sword of Destiny were great. I didnt like the saga novels as much.

Childhoods end > 2001: a space odyssey

Are there any Fantasy/Historical Fiction crossover books?
Are they actually good?

this

Hyperion was great. Everything after it was shit.

You're full of shit
Rama>2001>city and the stars>childhoods end
Esmenet>Serwe

Which series should I read lads?

I've seen the movies and the tv series.

Lotr looks to be shorter than asoiaf, and desu I'm struggling to find motivation to read asoiaf when I've seen so much of the show. However, it appears lotr can also be quite the slog at times, especially when describing Frodo and Sam's journey.

What say you?

Serwe wasn't even a character, she was a plot device.

Read ASOIAF if you like reading paragraphs about long steamy watery shits.

Never read Rama but you're just flat out wrong. The entire ending to Childhoods End is just an objectively better version of 2001.

Sounds like you can't really be arsed with either so don't bother.

>HURRR DURRR CUNTY FUCKING RESPONSE

I'M LITERALLY PLANNING ON STARTING RIGHT NOW FOR FUCK SAKE.

Has anyone read the wonderland gambit series by Jack l. Chalker? I really enjoyed it and the mind fuck it presented in the idea of worlds inside worlds of vr. I was wondering if anyone knew of something similar.

Also, what was with the maddox coin at the end?

then read The Hobbit, then read LotR.

Does anybody know a good urban fantasy book. Not as much centered in things like detectives or hunter but more bakemonogatari-ish

We are talking about chapters though not characters
I couldn't stand serwe's stupid teenage mind
>implying ending is all that matters
2001 has sense of wonder, exploration and comfyness when reading.
Childhoods end has giant aliens reading books like if it's a fucking cartoon
Just read Sanderson or some shit

It's a dumbed down materialistic take on CS Lewis' portrayal of demonic spiritual destruction. The revelation that the daemons are manifestations of something internal to people in our world supports this imo.

I'd say Childhoods end has a good sense of wonder. The book keeps you guessing the whole time what the Overlords have in store for the human race.
I'll concede that 2001 has a more comfortable feeling, but you can't tell me the ending isn't phenomenal.

>reread Warbreaker
>we'll never get the sequel

Would rather read about serwe's bastards being smothered than Esmenet pretending she's a 13 talent whore desu.

Get The Chronicles of Conan - Robert E. Howard

Any more of Esmi? Didn't know she's that hot.

>tfw 1 copper whore

ALso, where do you find this stuff?

I always just assumed humans weren't physically eligible to the same transformation the Nonmen went through.

WHAT AM I ?

6 years

>it's a Shallan chapter

Bonus points for

>it's a Shallan interacting with Kalladin chapter

Do you think the audience of a YA fantasy novel could connect to a character who's missing his right hand? If so, would they car more if he lost it during the course of the story or if he was just born without it?

where's this comming from?

ALso, YA is a bullshit term, it's basically dumbing down a novel so idiot teenagers will buy it

or marketing.

YA audiences can identify with anything if it's angsty enough

Give him a hook, pike, chainsaw or something. Perhaps a leather pouch tied on the end. You know, flavor stuff.

Only if losing his hand makes him DARK and EDGY. THE PAIN OF HAVING NO HAND MUST RADIATE LIKE LIQUID FIRE AND SHIT SO DARK SO EDGY MUH HAND! HOW CAN YOU UNDERSTAND WHEN YOU HAVE TWO HANDS YOU DON'T KNOW MY PAIN MOM!

a hook. not a sharp one, more like a paperclip than anything else.

If it's missing from the start it would explain why he wasn't suspicious when someone offered to help him with his bags, thus resulting in him being robbed and the story kicking off.

On the other hand, if it gets cut off it makes for some drama.

Also, I have to wonder what's got more potential: just the hand missing or the entire arm

YA as in the Harry Potter demographic, not the edgelord anime demographic

Did you even read Harry Potter? Past like the fourth book it's 100% "WHY AM I SO EDGY AND CURSED OW OW OW YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND RON YOU DON'T GET ME YOU BUGGER! I FUCKED YER SISTER SWEAR ON ME MUM!".

And you won't get the Harry Potter audience with a cripple protag

Protag losing an arm and coming to terms with it could be done well. But it'd likely just end up similar to Jaime in ASOIAF

Is Kellhus a self insert ?

Bakker says that Akka is his closest self insert

nice try Richard

Maybe if you're schizoid.

the way I think it would work best is if he was doesn't really consciously angst about it. Granted, everything around him pisses him off, but it was missing since birth and he's long since learned to make do without it.

What bothers him isn't that he's missing his hand, it's people seeing him as cripple or weakling, as a result he overcompensates by trying to carry around too much at once and ends up dropping shit all over the floor. Deep down he knows that his missing hand really is a handicap but he refuses to admit it.

A major theme of his arc is weakness. He's short, he's missing a hand, he's not particularly athletic and the magical ability he possesses is comedically weak but he just takes the shit live throws at him and endures it. That stubbornness, that mental inertia of his, is what makes him strong

>He's short, he's missing a hand
Literally Edward Elric (plus a leg)

>Akka is a cuck
>Akka is Bakker's self-insert

>Thomas Bible is a cuck
>Thomas Bible is the only POV character in Neuropath

Hmm
Hmmmm
Hmmmmmm
Really makes you think.

Don't forget angry

but no, edward is a a genius, a child prodigy in alchemy, can do alchemy without a circle and can kick your ass.

This guy is of more or less average intelligence, can't kick ass, doesn't have a fancy automail hand (just one of those clip hooks), and his only real superpower is that he can magically season food without ingredients, and since it's an actual chemical change he can't even use it to make health food taste good without it getting unhealthy

she's like a child in a room with adults talking

whoops wrong thread

Nothing against you user but that sounds terrible
I don't think any audience, YA included, would enjoy that.

Any idea how I can make it not shitty?

by the way, I keep saying super power but it's not a superhero thing

Kvothe

I think it's time to give up writing once and for all.

Everyone I talk to tells me my stories are shit, including my own parents. What point is there in having all these ideas if every one of them sucks?

do you enjoy writing them at least? Sometimes better out than in either way.

It's almost like making your character get cucked is an instant way of gaining sympathy from the reader

more like condescending pity at best.

I like coming up with stories. I like fixating on every little detail. Writing not so much but I want to create something worth readings, worth publishing. If I can't do that then what's the point of trying?

I can't stop reading

I have an extremely hard exam incoming and I'm reading fucking fantasy

I've never read so many pages a day before

I'm trying to get into reading books and I'm intimitaded by lengthy books so to get things started what would be 2-3 short science fiction stories that would help me get into the habit of reading lengthier material ? I don't know what is considered short so I guess something like 30-100 pages would be good. Also I would prefer something that is not fantasy that would also contain a somewhat deep meaning to it so after finishing it I will have the chance to reflect the story in my mind and take one or two good things to stay with me.

Isn't he doong it after stormlight 3? That isn't that far away.

>Clench my fists as hard as I physically am able to
>Still don't draw blood

Are fantasy writers retarded or what the fuck, this meme is in so mnay books >lol clench so hard my palms are bleeding
It doesn't fucking happen in real life it has never happened and it will never happen because it's so fucking idiotic

depends how long your nails are I imagine

both Kellhus and Akka are self-inserts. There's a very similar phenomenon with Peter Watts in Blindsight, an author with very similar themes (and a fucking canadian too to boot), both Siri and Jukka are his self-inserts, Siri being a loser and Jukka a brilliant sociopath.

anyone read the Garrett P.I. novels?

Whats your favourite entry in the series?

Moore spurdos
Saving the pic thanks

Meme question: So what books do I read after playing those three dark fantasy games?

if you want edge read Richard Morgan or Mark Lawrence.