>write
>doesn't hold up to much critique in the end
>decide not to write anymore

just another idiot woman. not suprised. try schopenhauer's 'On Women'

>giving up this quickly

Write little stories for your mama

Just slip it inside her and get over it

that's a cool painting

I'm pretty sure there's a psychological term for that exact moment you realize that you're not as good as you thought you were while you were a child.

Everyone goes through it. Deal with it. Write anyway. Who gives a shit?

reminder to those of you who become parents (lol):

praise individual actions performed by the child as being good or laudable, but do not make statements of praise regarding the nature of the child

ex: "That was good of you to help that old lady" NOT "You're so good for having helped that old lady"

It captures that sensation of being outside and looking into someones house really well.

Like, you are not a part of that world at all, you never well be. You get a small glimpse into it which only reminds you just how alien you are from the perspective of that insular space.

Just because someone said you had talent when you were a kid doesn't mean that (without constant hard work) it will translate well into adulthood. The difference between you and actually decent writers is that you haven't really written jack shit in the span of time between then and now. Don't be surprised that you're a shit writer if you don't actually write every day or think about what you're writing for at least a couple consecutive years.

>my dad was a lunatic
>told me and my brother we were perfect
>got really fuckin' pissed when anyone implied otherwise
>brother is neurotic, used to have a melt down when anything he did was less than perfect
>i have imposter syndrome
>get real fuckin' twitchy when anyone compliments me
>have absolutely no concept of what is average or above average
>constantly second guess myself no matter what
I am ready for death

>raised by a carousel of different nannies
>read instead of playing with other children
>can write
>can't connect with other humans
>why bother with anything?

I only make it to about 80% of being legitimately good at something. The rest 20% I can't do because some sort of despair and anxiety takes over and fucks everything up.

Examples:
- have a really cool outline of a song, nice hook, just need finishing touches maybe an interesting intro and outro. can't do it. after a couple of times listening I end up hating whatever I heard (even when others are impressed). never return to it again because I instantly hate what I hear.

- writing:
write somtehing that seems interesting. couple of cool scenes. spend one night furiously writing into my notepad. everything seems to be coming together. read it the next day, still sounds good. write a portion of it. at some point become disillusioned. literally overcome by anxiety, start hitting keyboard nervously literally start typing random letters asdidjoasdjoasd doqwdqwdpo asdopasd suffer nervous breakdown and delete the whole file throw notebook into trash

dude, no! save that shit. Even if you never touch it again.

most actual writers have tried it and given up at least a dozen times before they actually got it right.

Good advice desu

thanks for this

somebody who's a natural at something, isn't good at it the second they try it.

Like lebron james wasn't an nba all start at age 6 or whatever when he picked the basketball up.

you can still look at the little faggot and see he's got what it takes though, if he works his ass off and applies himself.

There's nobody out there, even a natural, who just picks up the pen or ball or anal beads and is amazing at it.

it will only serve as a mockery when it never results in anything

my mother forced me to get away from literature the much she could (shes a writer/poet herself)
i secretly want to be a writer too, even though i'm studying computer science

You are always your own worst critic. Some people make it really big off of the works which they thought were mediocre. If you ever think something is mediocre and your taste is really good, then other people will probably think your stuff is really good because their taste is mediocre.

follow?

A lot of authors have had works they absolutely love completely fail, because in reality they were complete shit, and the opinion of the weirdo who wrote it and fell in love with it doesn't really reflect the general population's opinion.

Conversely a lot of authors have made it big with work they were never crazy about, and came to even hate the fact that everyone loved it. Lord of the rings, a clockwork orange are good examples.