Why do people have kids?

I've only heard religious people argue for having kids, or people that think humanity will find a way to carry on forever.

But since an educated individual knows life was doomed from the start, wouldn't the compassionate, intelligent thing to do be let humankind go extinct a long time ago? It seems cruel to bring new humans to awareness.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinatalism
francoistremblay.wordpress.com/2013/02/11/benatars-asymmetry/
hyperlinks-arent-arguments.gov/
youtube.com/watch?v=YwZ0ZUy7P3E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>But since an educated individual knows life was doomed from the start
???

Why are people who post about "religious people" always so faux-edgy in so many other ways as well?

To raise an offspring to become smarter, richer, happier & more successful than predecessors.

A son-father love is much stronger than the love between wife-husband or any friendship & brotherhood.

You trust 100% in your own parents. But you will never trust 100% of a Wife or Friend (Unless you are a Cuckold) You can trust in your Children.

Your Children will trust you, love you, respect you & care for you always just like you trust, respect, love, care your Parents.

A Slut or a Friend can back-stab & Cuck you at any moment. But the Love between Parents & Children are Pure & Strong.

You also need to raise someone to inherit your legacy. For example if Elon Musk don't complete the mission to led Humanity into Mars, then He should educate His son to continue His Mission.

But donate your legacy for Niggers, a corrupt government and be Cucked is retarded in my opinion.

why don't you just kill yourself then if that's what you think? your life is doomed anyway lol

Enjoying the ride is not the sale as stringing others along.
How is that being edgy?
Science says we are doomed and there's nothing greater, unless humans figure out how to break out current laws of physics. That's not me being edgy, that's sapience being a cruel joke of the universe

fuck off back to plebbit, pseud. nobody takes nihilism seriously.

>wouldn't the compassionate, intelligent thing to do be let humankind go extinct a long time ago?
>compassionate

Oh sure, it would be. But that is assuming that compassion brings with itself some kind of intrinsic value. It does not. Life has no worth or purpose, therefore it doesn't really matter if you bring in another little monkey into this painful existence. It literally means nothing.

>intelligent
Depends on how do you define intelligence. If you define intelligence as the awareness to take right decisions that will enrich your life, at least for a moment, then sometimes it is intelligent to do the cruel thing: Bring in another poor soul into this disgusting universe.

Think about it. Many couples have children out of desperation when their relationship is going downhill. Having a kid makes them both take things more seriously and just stick with it. So if you wanted to keep the relationship, it is intelligent to have a kid. Even though it is outright immoral to force another person to have to live.

>truth is painful that must mean he's from Reddit

Your gonna knock up a fat bitch around age 30 and regret that you didnt spend your 20 minutes scoping for tight ass

Because all the enlightened redditor intellectual atheists who are >tfw too smart to have children
from the last generation died and, you guessed it, didn't have children.

Because the meaning of life is to reproduce.

You know, creampies are a really nice thing.

Good post.

>"OMG DID YOU JUST CUM INSIDE ME?"
>As a matter of fact, I did.

Because new atheists are retarded autists.

what did rabbi mean by this?

>Whenever you get too real Veeky Forums turns into x and says you're wrong but they don't have any evidence.

>evidence

Two reasons on a consequentialist view.

Reason one is that life itself is valuable. A person born today will probably enjoy being alive more often than not. The amount of life we create should be balanced so that we don't make too much that life becomes less enjoyable. But equally it shouldn't be balanced so far in the other direction that we stop reproducing because then less people will enjoy their lives. Therefore we should allow reproduction on the grounds of satisfying future interests.

Reason two is that people alive today find satisfaction from child rearing. Raising children and passing on your genetic material makes people happy more often than not. Therefore we should allow reproduction on the grounds of satisfying present interests.

The most common answer I get is that so that they won't be lonely when they reach old age.

>this brainlet thinks that living a truly happy life is possible
Hahahahha

>a-autist!

Wew lad you're really sore when you learn the truth

Why wouldn't I want to have kids? Life is pretty great tobh pham

Because people are dumb animals that follow their instincts and have never once thought about any of that stuff.

>my philosophical stance is the absolute objective truth and everyone holds it precisely as i describe it
kys

I don't know about philosophical stances, but all religious people are stupid and OP is right.

>wouldn't the compassionate, intelligent thing to do be let humankind go extinct a long time ago?
Yes.

>It seems cruel to bring new humans to awareness.
This is the basic premise of antinatalism, and I've yet to come across a solid refutation of it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinatalism

(((((Ray kurzweil))))))

Why do /pol/erinas think they're allowed on the science board?

The solid refutation is that antinatalism is the opposite of fitness. Being an antinatalist almost guarantees that you won't pass on your genes to the next generation.
Why do redditors think they're allowed on the science board?

Why don't you just man up and finally kill yourself since you seem to be so resentful of life? Life is suffering but there's no need to bring people down to your nihilistic level you sad faggot

That's not a refutation, the whole point of antinatalism is that passing on your genes is morally wrong. You're really simple minded, no surprise to see you defending /pol/. Go back to your inbred retard containment board.

>no need to bring people down

I imagine it's out of justice/resentment. It seems very unfair that worthless, stupid, bad people (anyone religious/spiritual) get to feel satisfied with life because they're ignorant and uneducated while those superior to them are burdened with the harshness of reality.

Procreation is for fools and sadists.

francoistremblay.wordpress.com/2013/02/11/benatars-asymmetry/

>the most boring reason to exist

>The solid refutation is that antinatalism is the opposite of fitness. Being an antinatalist almost guarantees that you won't pass on your genes to the next generation.

That's not a refutation. There's nothing useful about "passing on your genes", the act only produces inconvenience and suffering; It's malignantly useless.

Hint: try to come up with something that isn't appeal to nature.

hyperlinks-arent-arguments.gov/

Objectively speaking, why is passing on your genes to the next generation beneficial?

Can I replace my kid's brain with mine when he is fully grown and live in a compatible body forever??

is life suffering?

(1) If a person exists, then their pain is a bad thing.
(2) If a person exists, then their pleasure is a good thing.
(3) What does not exist cannot suffer (therefore this non-existing pain is a good thing).
(4) What does not exist cannot be deprived of any pleasure (therefore this non-existing pleasure is not a bad thing).
The end result is that there is a clear asymmetry between pleasure and pain, because of (4).

When you ask dying people about their regrets, one of the most common things they say is "I wish I had had kids". It's just human nature dude

I'd rather adopt and raise chads superior genes.
My genes aren't good

Souls exist even after death. You can still feel pain and pleasure after death

I understood the argument before you even hyperlinked it to me. It's a popular argument in support of antinatalism. It doesn't refute me, it ignores my position and proceeds with an argument that supports your position. It's ignoring one framework and substituting it for one you prefer to work in.

Like if someone proposed that abortion is morally permissible on the grounds that a fetus is not a person and only persons can have wrongs done to them.

And then someone rebutted by saying but a fetus has a future that resembles our own and since we want to protect our own futures, we should protect the futures of fetuses.

The second argument is definitely an argument against abortion, but it's not by itself a counterargument to the first argument. It ignores the first argument and builds an alternative framework the anti-abortion person prefers to work within.

I proposed that life is worth living because it contains good things that are worth experiencing in spite of the bad. Your framework is one in which the experiences of life balance each other out to create an experience of life that is neither good nor bad, and by proving that the alternative of not existing is better than that circumstance by virtue of containing at least some net good, we should prefer extinction to continuity.

To respond directly to your argument, which is more than you've done for me, proposition three is defective. The absence of pain is not a good in your framework (where good is equivalent to pleasure, and pain to bad). Me sitting in a chair staring at a wall is neither painful nor pleasureable and therefore neither good nor bad, so there is some quality of experience that is neither good nor bad. The absence of perception by necessity precludes the possibility of pleasure or pain, because there is no perceiver. Therefore asserting that since a non-existing identity does not suffer, it must therefore be the case that this alternative is good. This is a falsehood.

Hey man it's not my fault that reality sucks that hard. If you want to get pissy, blame the universe for being a rigged game or science for exposing it as such, not me for being educated on the matter.

[citation needed]

>>But since an educated individual knows life was doomed from the start,
>Top Kek

You are only making the case the evolution would favor stupid people, which in certain periods (including now) it has in fact favored.

I'm a nihilist in the sense that I don't believe mankind has some intrinsic, universe given goal or destiny. We're here through means we still don't fully understand.

However, i really dont think we shouldn't just toss away the odd wonder that we are just because the universe is daunting and scary. We've become so unbelievably capable over a millennia, who knows how far were going to advance in the near future? The knowledge we've collectively gathered should be passed onto the next generation so that they too can work on discoveries to enhance our already impressive collection of knowledge.
Though I do have to concede that humanity is ultimately selfish and at the moment doesn't seem keen on achieving this goal.

Eh, I see it either way.

whether or not someone wants to have kids is nobody's business but their own. why won't this meme die?

Smart person = good genes
Good genes = good gene ofspring
Good gene of spring = survival of the species
Thus have kids (unless your a /b/tard)

Because it's the only circumstance where we give someone license to cause undue suffering and death to a third party without reprimand.

Regardless of potential there is a physical cap on humanity where thought will be incapable of existing and history will end

You don't have a right to unilaterally drag someone into this reality without their consent.

sure you do. but i agree that it doesn't necessarily mean you should.

What other definition of "good" can there be if not fitness?

Fuck off tripfag.

>that Jew logic instilled in whites to prevent them from breeding

OP, if you are above 130 IQ it is your fucking duty to breed as much as fucking possible. It literally does not matter if you end up taking care of the children or not. Life is nothing more than the continuation of life and that's how you do it.

Anyone who says otherwise is just trying to take you out of the race.

youtube.com/watch?v=YwZ0ZUy7P3E

if you've actually studied philosophy and you reach the conclusion of nihilism being ultimate truth, you are a brainlet

>When you ask dying people about their regrets, one of the most common things they say is "I wish I had had kids". It's just human nature dude

[citation needed]

Life literally can't continue forever unless we don't know all there is to know about science and find out some way to stop or reverse entropy, and after it's all over it doesn't matter how long it lasted.

Enlighten me euphoric one

>Life literally can't continue forever unless we don't know all there is to know about science and find out some way to stop or reverse entropy, and after it's all over it doesn't matter how long it lasted.

Sure thing, Jew.

Because I want to continue my uninterrupted bloodline of multiple billions of years.

Not an argument.

No it wasn't, and not that guy, but it does make you a flaming faggot

haha that's the guy from mulholland drive that gets spooked by the hobo

If you actually believed this you wouldn't be around

You lost the argument.

virgin

[spoiler]>tfw can finally call people virgin without being virgin myself[/spoiler]

>tfw my kid gets A+s in all assignments
>tfw change my brain with his when he is fully grown
>tfw he was a brainlet but worked hard
>now stuck as brainlet

Emotionless dumbass.

having kids =/= having sex

retard

You might as well give up OP, a sizable portion of the population is convinced the world revolves around their dick ^^^

It's a biological instinct, if you feel at least a bit comfortable and the job/family circumstances are right you'll want to have kids.

>he uses a condom

I think a better phrasing would be, "The purpose of life is to perpetuate."

Sure, for wild animals that means following breeding instincts, but for self aware humans who know the best thing to do is conserve the finite resources of our planet, abstaining from reproduction is the only logical choice.

I secretly resent everyone I know who's still making babies, and only partially because it means they're getting laid.

So who's on board for sterilizing the uneducated? Anyone? I'm down

>Not wanting to make another person suffer sapience and die when they could just remain a sweet void at one with the universe, due in part because you personally feel terror at the implications of your existence.

>emotionless.

>le euphoric fedora meme
is this 2010? also
>unless we don't know all there is to know about science
wow, you really are a retard.

disgusting used goods

I'm not white but have an IQ of 134. Don't know why you /pol/-tards are delusional about everything. Is it Schizophrenia? Maybe Bipolar disorder.

I'd rather kill people than have kids.
>inb4 edgy

*tips fedora*

delete this before /pol/ goes on suicide watch

Why dies absence of pain is "good" and not "not bad"? Is absence of pain > absence of pleasure, and so pain trumps pleasure in your opinion? Seems very subjective to me.

I dont think you understood OPs point.

similar question, why should we have kids for the sake of a system that will screw them over too?

Pain must equal a negative value (Sounds right to me), and the absence of pain equals a positive value, with pleasure being an even greater positive value.

>whites not breeding

if others are the same as us, as our generation has been told again and again, then this is of no consequence, right? if mexicans are having eight kids each, that should be more than enough make up for the kids i'm not having.

>I'm not white but

Get lynched, nigger.

No because the possibility of an improved future exists and only an unintelligent individual would choose to let their approximation of truth reign over chance and the way the universe unravels.

i.e. only fucking idiots argue against having kids

you are probably some spic
i.e. white anyway

>morality

Suck a dick humanist

Your argument is predicated on morality being objective when it is nothing more than an abstraction of sapience. You try and model your rhetoric as if it were some sort of axiomatic truth, but you lack the maturity to understand that such a juvenile and fallacious stance on what life is and what it deserves is woefully incomplete.

In the end you have the mentality of a 14 year old and I recommend you kill yourself.

>Pain must equal a negative value

Why?

>their approximation of truth

that's what most people go by.

>a complete fucking retarded projection

I am really hoping that this is bait

Unfortunately.

Stop your carbon footprint now and kill your self you fucking faggot

Or go watch Clannad After Story or something

edgy

Pain is by definition an unfavorable thing.