What are the essential cyberpunk works besides Neuromancer, Snow Crash, Blade Runner, and The Matrix?

What are the essential cyberpunk works besides Neuromancer, Snow Crash, Blade Runner, and The Matrix?

Other urls found in this thread:

thepandorasociety.com/we-are-living-in-the-cyberpunk-future-of-1984-william-gibson-at-joseph-beth-booksellers-lexington-ky/
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL29CFFB0C178E4903
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

those are literally all the essentials

The matrix isn't cyberpunk

I. WANT. ROOM SERVICE!!!!!!!

It's sorta Post-Cyberpunk.

I mean, it's got the dystopian elements, the computer bullshit and the evil guys in suits.

Bad guy is basically SHODAN.

Only thing missing is the meaty human society; but this has been subsumed in the most punkiest of ways into the machine singularity - total enslavement as literal fodder, no longer does the system merely metaphorically eat people alive, but literally also.

Islands in the Net by Bruce Sterling.
Mirrorshades, short stories anthology.
Slant by Greg Bear.
Vacuum Flowers by Michael Swanwick.

The shadowrun series of books

severely underrated post

yeah, but shadowrun had elves, trolls, wizards and magic. sort of shits it up.

also do not read anything by Tom Maddox, ever. Gibson credits him with the creation of ICE, but the guy writes the way Jerry Lewis dances.

the tetsuo films

Altered Carbon - Richard Morgan
Count Zero - Gibson
Brasyl - Ian McDonald

Neuromancer was pretty good, but it was honestly one of the most underwhelming sci-fi books that I have ever read.

Gibson should have done what Niven did with Ringworld and pick up the story with another book or two, until he could reach a satisfying end to the narrative.

>Gibson should have done what Niven did with Ringworld

jesus christ, Niven was ANOTHER one of the old guard that the cyberpunks were rebelling against! your post is like saying the Sex Pistols should have been more like Roy Orbison.

Ready Player One

The Sex Pistols were an absolute farce who had no meaningful impact on the music scene. Sid Vicious and friends had no musical talent. Their sole purpose was to act as clowns for entertainment purposes.

Pick a better analogy.

>Niven was ANOTHER one of the old guard that the cyberpunks were rebelling against!

Explain

sid vicious was the only truly untalented member of the band, and he didn't perform on the record.

Burning Chrome by Gibson
Akira
Ghost in the shell (1995)
Cyber City Oedo 808

There are about three stories in the whole of mirrorshades that come close to cyberpunk

>The rest of the Sprawl trilogy
>Texhnolyze
>Serial Experiments Lain

to be specific:

"The Gernsback Continuum" by William Gibson
"Solstice" by James Patrick Kelly
"Freezone" by John Shirley

Burning Chrome also by Gibson, I remember enjoying Johnny Mnemonic and skipping all the rest of the short stories.

Mozart in Mirrorshades and Red Star,Winter Orbit , for example, are not cyberpunk?

Also, what's up with all the cyberpunk threads?

Cyberpunk rules

William Gibson came to my local bookstore in 2015 and explained how he and the other people credited with creating cyberpunk had no fucking idea about what they were doing but were eager to try something new. I got him to autograph an entire sprawl trilogy for my collection. Good times

thepandorasociety.com/we-are-living-in-the-cyberpunk-future-of-1984-william-gibson-at-joseph-beth-booksellers-lexington-ky/

The Girl Who Was Plugged In is a short proto-cyberpunk novella, I thought it was great.

Came here to post Altered Carbon.

It's a fucking masterpiece.

God I envy you so much
At least I have the autograph of Bruce Sterling

I agree that it does sort of shit it up but i think it's still a rather nice cyberpunk setting.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL29CFFB0C178E4903

Metal Gear Solid 1-2

Reality is SHIT and cyberspace is GOD