Is The Oxford Shakespeare good?

Is The Oxford Shakespeare good?

>reading plays

You people read movie manuscripts too?

m8 I also want to read the poems

Yes.

I'd assume so. He's an English playwright. Oxford is an university filled with English scholars. It would be very poor publicity indeed if an English University did a poor job publishing the works of a renowned English playwright.

pleb detected

Actually just bought this. It's pretty good.

The individual entries in their Oxford Shakespeare series are brilliant. If this is the same then yeah it'll be good.

I got it and I'm displeased. I wanted footnotes and more analysis.

i read the norton shakespeare is good

>movie manuscripts

the best

Never seen a play that wasn't better in my head.
Maybe Ran. Maybe that Ghosts production by Bergman.

>pelican Shakespeare
>oxford Shakespeare
>norton Shakespeare
>riverside Shakespeare

what get

all of them you pleb

abbey

Arden Shakespeare gives the best info with the text listing changes in folio and other notes

>renaming Falstaff "Oldcastle" because lol we think original performances had it that way
>changing Pericles with George Wilkins material because lol we think he cowrite
>changing "ancient" to "ensign" because lol everyone is too dumb to understand what it means
>moving various Hamlet speeches to appendix because lol we think the original performances didn't include them
>crediting Marlowe as co-author on some plays because lol it gives us publicity

>let's add notes saying that the moors were Sub-Saharan blacks and claim that any other theory is "neo-nazi nonsense"

you have to buy the arden edition of every single play otherwise you cannot be a patrician

It's a lot cheaper than going to the theatre.

Which version do you prefer?

Arden for the collected plays.

For the separate editions of individual plays Oxford are fine. They use different editors for those and most of them don't make the same showboating decisions as the editors of the collected edition.

where is this?

Are the notes and commentaries in Arden excessive?

The collected edition is pretty bare aside from short introductions and an overall glossary at the end.

Separate Arden editions of the plays do have note-bloat though. They're footnotes rather than endnotes too.

I have it, and I can confirm, it is very very good.

Uh, I do sometimes.

He's just baiting.