How do I do it?!

How do I stop being afraid of my classes and just... do it? I wake up at 07:00, with the intention of starting at 08:00 and yet almost every single day, I just procrastinate. I don't open my books, I'm afraid of my books, I can't concentrate when I'm reading my books.

How can I stop this shit habit, Veeky Forums? I did kay in my first Semester of STEM Studies, but this second one has been an absolute failue. I may not even pass a single class.

Please no kys faggt stuff, I need help from actual STEM-folks, not the anons at /adv/. Help. Help. Help.

PS: I've tried a better diet (well, as much as I can find the time to cook vegetables and whatnot), I've tried exercises, I've tried everything. I can't even sleep at this point. It's been a few years where I sleep for about 6 hours per day, naps included.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/eI5KqBGd01M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I study better when not in my comfort zone, so go somewhere other then your house. If your campus is open, just go find a new corner every few days. Plenty of study spaces all over campus. Dont bring a laptop or phone or technology, because thats easier to distract yourself with.

Or try pomodoro technique. Has worked for me in the past.

I mean, are you just lazy as fuck? Are you scared of finding out you're not as smart as you thought you were? I'm not trying to be a dick. I think you could best address this if you knew why it was happening.

Gimme some more details

I'm literally the same as you. But I don't really mind, since when push comes to shove and I knoew that in a few days I'm having an exam I really start cramming hard. Most of the time it works and I pass with a good grade.

Physics senior in a top school btw

Yeah, no. I uh, I can't do that. Campus here isn't like over at the US/UK/Normal Non-Third World Yuropoor Countries. It's just a bunch of woods and the facilities.

I've tried promodoro, and it worked, but I can't keep at it for more than one or two days. Eventually I hit a roadblock, get dissapointed and kinda give up.
Well, I am lazy. I never studied before going to uni, apart from the final year of High School for my finals. Everything was easy until then. So now I can't study more than, what, 2 hours per day? I mean, sure, I "study" all day, but the actual productive time that's not spent on breaks is about 2 hours. 3 max.

Also, yeah, I'm afraid that I'm just not smart enough. I mean, I never considered myself a 180+ IQ math-wiz, but I thought I was fairly smart. My whole family is a bunch of farmers and fishermen, so by getting As through not studying, I thought I was a tad above the average. But now... dunno. I'm afraid I'll try my best, and it won't be enough, thus finally getting the answer that I'm a brainlet.

I'm studying physics as well (freshman), but I have my Differential Equations final this Wednesday, and I know jackshit. I spent all of my time on my physics & programming classes, and kinda flunked those, so I haven't studied anything DE-related, and I can't find the strength to.

>Eventually I hit a roadblock, get dissapointed and kinda give up.
What kind of roadblock? How difficult can it be? Just use your timer and work you bum.

Literally what is there to learn? separation of variables, maybe some subtitutions, fundamental solutions, method of special right hand side, method of integration factor and variation of constants. You can learn this shit in one day. I still understand why the US has a specialized ODE course, we learn that shit in our analysis class by the second semester.

Dunno, it depends. Say, DE, I just can't get past Linear Equations of the First Order. Every exercise I try I botch.
Yeah, well, I've been at it for 3 days now and I can't get past Linears of the First Order. I can't understand how the fields work. I can't solve the exercises. I don't even remember basic integrals or limits.

Well, if you don't even know basic integral and differential calculus then that's another problem. I would just keep cracking at the exercises if I were you and if you don't know immediately look up the solution. It will start clicking eventually.

I 'know' them, I just haven't seen them/used them in a long time so I don't remember the special cases. Plus, the book doesn't have in-depth/complete solutions/answers and very few examples.

You got the internet. So many resources.

Figure out why you want to study. If you live with family, ask them to sit near you while you work. Let them bully you into not stopping.

Then go back and study those. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice.

Science isnt easy but you aint no bitch. Get your dick hard and dick the fuck outta that book.

just listen to youtube videos explain everything all day until you realise you know half the bokos you are afraid to read anyways.

Then read them?

>You got the internet. So many resources.
The problem is the language barrier. I use various forums such as PhysicsForums as well in cases where I get stuck, and I read other journals/notes/search for books in PDF format, but there's that hinderance.

>Figure out why you want to study.
Silly as it may sound... make a proto-Iron Man armor. Silly, I know, but I've been collecting comics since I was a wee lad, and those Tales of Suspense & 90s Iron Man tales were some of y first, so I always wanted to be (60s-early 2000s) Tony Stark. I just wish I had the drive (and money).

>If you live with family, ask them to sit near you while you work. Let them bully you into not stopping.
I live alone. Here we don't pay for Uni, but we have to rent places to stay (no campus grounds), and my Uni is 6 hours away from home, so I live completely alone. The lack of any real plans or people to talk to in-person gives me this "freedom" which makes me a lazy sack.

I will be going back for the summer, which is about 2-3 months of free time, so I hope to work better and catch up under the pressure.

>Then go back and study those. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice
I try to, but I jump around. Time is running out as well, so I can't focus. I'm a little bitch in such things.

>Science isnt easy but you aint no bitch. Get your dick hard and dick the fuck outta that book.
I'll try. Thanks for the motivation though user!
I tried KahnAcdemy, I blew through the whole First Order Differential Equations and the one thing I had problems with wasn't covered in the lectures. I'm looking at some books I found on the net right now.

What are you studying?
>I can't even sleep at this point. It's been a few years where I sleep for about 6 hours per day, naps included.
Why can't you sleep? If you're not studying and you're not sleeping - what are you doing? Tell me, on an average day, what would you be doing?

>What are you studying?
"Physics" generally, but mostly general STEM stuff are included in my program (chem, programming, math, classical physics, quantum physics).

>Why can't you sleep?
Anxiety, mostly.

>If you're not studying and you're not sleeping - what are you doing?
Technically I try to do those things, it's just that I can't pull through.

>Tell me, on an average day, what would you be doing?
Put the alarm for 07:00, but end up waking at 07:30. "Wake up" for around an hour and a half (which is spent on the internet and shit). Grab my books at 09:00 or so, and then... study. My problem is that every 10 minutes or so I'll be distracted, go on the net, and lose 20 minutes. Then I'll go back to my book, continue for 10 minutes and repeat the same thing. Around 13:00 I'll cook something (mostly meat and some vegetables in the oven). Continue the same thing until I go to eat at around 15:00. Watch an episode of a tv show, go to sleep at 16:00, wake up at 17:30, start studying again from 19:00 till 23:00, watch and episode of a tv show, shitpost, and then go to sleep at 01:00. Problem is most nights I can't sleep, and I end up dozing off at 03:00 or so. It's gotten better the last few days though.

We're all going/went through something similar. You'll straighten up eventually.

I had written up a 2000 character reply, but then my Chrome crashed. I'm going to write it again, but bear with me for a bit.

Cowfee

Well, this does give me some hope at least. Thanks user!

Don't worry user. Just responding is enough!

I can't drink coffee. I never did. I can't stand it...

All I can tell you is that Jesus Christ of Nazareth once told his followers to not be anxious, and I've taken that to heart. Tomorrow always comes and the sun always rises.

Once I had a calculus 1 class that was very difficult and had me feeling depressed at the notion of failing it. When I miraculously passed it, I learned failing a class doesn't matter in the long run. You can always retake a class. Years later I had a math physics class with this old coot of a professor, and thanks to his lack of caring he failed 90% of the class, me included. I retook the class a few months later than then graduate with my degree.

You can also remember, these advanced classes start becoming easy at one point. It just takes a little patience.
weeb

get ye gone christcuck

>"Physics" generally, but mostly gen...
Sounds good

>Anxiety, mostly.
Anxiety of or from what?

>Technically I try to do those things..
Okay, I'll address this in my next section

>Put the alarm for 07:00, but end up waking at 07:30..
You need to be more strict with yourself. If you set your alarm for 0700, then you wake at 0700. If you want to wake at 0730? Then you set your alarm for 0730. If you set a goal, a target, whatever - you must follow through with it. You must commit.

You'll see this is important, you can't study efficiently or effectively if you're not strict with yourself. Your studying at the moment is only 25% efficient. You've said you spend 20 minutes for every 10 studying, "on the net." The problem isn't exclusive to your study. It's about your commitment to your own goals.

You need to prioritise. Things that are time-sensitive should obviously proceed those that aren't. Are you able to watch your TV series at any time? Yes, you can. Can you sit your exams or submit your assignments at any time? No, you can't. You need to prioritise these things as they're time-sensitive, which obviously you know, but the inability to prioritise is based on the inability to be strict with yourself and commit to your own goals.

The internet seems to be a recurring problem and a distraction to you. You should consider turning it off during the time you've allotted for your study. The important part is building good habits. Every incremental step you take aids in studying more efficiently.

You definitely should be getting 8 hours of sleep though and I'd suggest going to bed earlier - midnight at the latest.

>All I can tell you is that Jesus Christ of Nazareth once told his followers to not be anxious
Shittiest advice I've ever heard for someone suffering from anxiety, irrespective if everyone is a believer or not. Literally suggests nothing.

Not all advice is easy to follow., and you don't need to be a believer to follow this. The easy path hardly gets you the best results.

Get off Veeky Forums and work you lazy fucker

OP your brain cannot distinguish between "time for work" and "time for rest". that's because you have so much free time and you tell yourself you will study during this whole time, and then maybe you do study, but you also watch a show show so it all kinda mixes together. plus you do all your stuff in one spot probably.

this is what you will do. set up a corner in your place where you will from now on study and do nothing else there. move your desk across the apartment each time you begin your studying session if you have to, but you do NOT study, eat, watch youtube videos etc. all in one place, that's a road to hell we call procrastination. next you make an agreement with yourself that tomorrow you will study for one hour ONLY, I suggest in the morning. you set up your timer for 30 minutes and then, just for one second, you fucking stop being a pussy and you press START on your cellphone and you open that goddamn book. and during this half hour, you will do your best to focus like a goddamn shaolin. it will be easier than you think when you know it will end in 20 minutes or so and not in the evening like with your current "routine". when the phone rings, you stop even if you're in the middle of a sentence. you just stop and take a break for 10 minutes. then you go for the other half hour. when the session is over, NO MORE studying for the rest of the day, even if you want to, because it suddenly became interesting. you leave your study place, eat your junk food, watch your pointless tv shows and not feel guilty about it. you were already productive today, you deserve some rest. the next day, repeat the whole process. after a week, make it into two hours. after two weeks, you can experiment. you can try 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the afternoon, set different span on the timer and so on. I'm sure you got the point which is to strictly separate study time and leisure.

Based weeb-hating christian brother

Keep at it user. I'm in the same boat and you can't let something like this control you. I constantly find myself thinking about what I want to do when I fail out because I dont see myself making it through. I'm a junior level mechanical engineer taking thermo2, Linear Algebra, and plane kinematics of machines plus some bull shit "engineering" economy class which is just business finance with the engineering charge for my university (700 per semester, 1400 starting next fall if I'm still attending).
It's gotten to the point to where I hate school. I put in so much time and I rarely see any results and all I'm doing is digging myself into debt.
What I'm saying is, you're not alone. Keep your head up when its not in a book and stay away from technology when studying. We can do this.

Thanks for the input user!
>Anxiety of or from what?
General anxiety. About... everything. About the classes I'm gonna fail, about the time I'll need to get my diploma, about the job market, all of that.

>You need to be more strict with yourself.
There are days where I can manage that, but it's pretty rare.

Easy to say, difficult to do in my case.

My room's not big enough for that, and my desk is "two-shelf" mix with the PC, speakers, etc, etc at the top and study-area at the bottom. It can't be mved.

I'll try what you typed though, seems good.

Hey fellow same-shit user! TBQH I've stopped going to the lectures because the teachers are shit, so I spend all day at home, and I produce nothing, which makes me feel extra guilty. I hope we both make it in the end though.

i failed my courses last semester. when i work, i understand it, but i don't put in the hours because i don't want to.

so i've concluded i dont want to pass my courses, which is stupid because im close to graduating and even if i hate my major and future careers it would be more logical to just buckle down and finish, but i still procrastinate.

I've concluded that im depressed because my actions indicate i have no desire for a future. i can no longer tell if my actions are a result of my suicidal thoughts or my suicidal thoughts are a result of my actions. alternatively i'm happy, and my actions are a subconscious attempt to stay where i am.

Go to the library to study. Going to a specific place out of your room helps a lot because it removes distractions and just the journey there alone helps put you in the right mindset.

Shit user, that got dark fast. Have you thought about picking up some hobbies and being a tad more carefree? Or talk to somebody maybe.

Or, as an extreme, but some extremely high, fictional standard and try to live up to it. It's not such a bad idea. Take some time off this summer, and do some soul searching. Do you like what you're doing? Can you take your degree and head for something you like even more?

Search around. Find a character you like and identify with him to some extent. if he's built a time-machine or something, say "I'll build it myself". Will you do it? Probably not. Same way I probably won't create a working Iron Man Model 50 armor. But it's something to aspire to. The higher the goal, the higher the low.

Libraries are open only for 2 hours per day here, and they're not for studying. My house is also pretty small, so I can't move things around.

Are you taking classes online or something? What the fuck is only open 2 hours? No matter what, you need to get out of the house in your state.

Nope, I go to Uni. It's just that it's such a broken system, coupled with a broken Uni (best in the country for physics btw) that nothing works. Libraries are open for 2 hours (11-13). Textbooks arrive two months before finals. "Semesters" are actually 3 months (each year has two Semesters). Professors sell the test's exercises. Political Parties have a working relationship with some of them. people who literally don't go to write get 8/10s due to "inside connections". Others fuck the Proffs to pass.

Shit's fucked up here.

I didn't want to post in this thread originally because I didn't really want to visit these memories that I've buried.

Basically, I was in the same position as you a few years ago. With a combination of chronic illnesses, depression and long commute, I started going to classes less and less, until one day I lost the motivation completely to get out of bed. I spent around half the semester sleeping in till 2pm and shitposting on Veeky Forums till 4pm (when my parents came home from work) and would get dressed, sit in the library for a bit and come home pretending I was studying at uni. Somedays it got so bad I wouldn't even pretend, I would literally greet my parents in pyjamas lying to them that I didn't have uni on that day despite having full time uni with no free weekdays. That semester, I had to take 5 units, those being chem, psychology, molecular bio, linear algebra and some other maths unit. The workload was fucking insane (I had 6 hour of labs every week + tutes + lectures) and with each passing day only added to my anxiety. It was awful to feel so paralysed as a direct result of my own inactions, my own procrastination, to have dug myself into such a deep hole. It wasn't until one month till finals time that I slowly got my acts together. I crammed for 10 hours on a single day, pretty much going through my entire semesters' worth of chem notes in one sitting, crying and drinking redbull simultaneously. The stress got so bad I was getting rosacea flare ups, stress eating (gained like 5kg in a week lol), mental breakdowns, the like. Anyhow, during finals week, I didn't sleep for 3 consecutive days, only napping in the daytime after I finished an exam. On my last maths exam I completely gave up and just sat at home and slept. In the end, failing everything except chemistry and psychology.

The funny thing is, it doesn't even stop here. My failures of that semester will forever taint my memory, my existence. It truly truly did some lasting damage. Not only did I hate myself even more, I no longer had any confidence in myself or my abilities. From that day on, those failures will induce anxiety flare ups any time come exam time. Instead of having motivation to get myself sorted, I was instead met with even more anxiety and more failures. I took a lesser load the following semester, doing only 3 subjects (anciet greek, chem and anatomy) and again same shit happened and I failed the entire semester.

Ugh rewriting this is so painful. I just feel like I need to get this out in the open, to admit my past mistakes and to forgive myself for being so neurotic and stupid. Even though I haven't failed any subject since then, I no longer want to have anything to do with stem. Just seeing an anatomy textbook will remind me all of my insecurities once more. Right now my goal is complete my degree, I just have a few more electives to go and I will be free of this burden. I guess my message to you OP, is to learn from your mistakes but do not dwell on it, if you constantly look back and regret you will only be destined to repeat the same mistakes. And also to really think about what you want to do. After all that I realise STEM isn't for me and if you're that scared of something, it probably isn't for you either. Life is too fucking short to live in that kind of misery. And I hope one day, I may have the courage to love science again after what I went through.

/blogpost

Jeez user, that sounds like a tough time. I hope you manage to get through it at some point. As for me, I'll keep trying. I'm bound to find my way at some point.

Wait till you learn about the Jews, OP.

Then things will get REALLY depressing.

What about (((that))) alien pic though? Was it (((them))) user? Did (((they)) crash Veeky Forums when it was posted on /pol/ & /x/?

>I sleep for about 6 hours per day, naps included.
You need more sleep, you are fucking up your brain, hormones, and biochemistry by not getting 8-9 hours.

I know, but... how? It's gotten better the last few days, as I manage to go to sleep at around 01:00, so I get about 7 hours of sleep per day. But I need to improve my sleep hours, I know.

What else is he supposed to do? Even shrinks basicly advise getting over it via small steps, cognitive behavior therapy.

Its so much easier if you do work with other people. Find a group or start one and do your shit in a library or similar environment.

Join clubs / orgs where people solve problems, etc.

I can't really connect with people. And there are no functional clubs around here. Except the SJWs who go around making "AmeriKKKa the butcher of worlds" graffiti. And like I said, the library is a small room that's open 2 hours per day.

If you want to wake up at 7am go to bed at 10pm every night regardless of if you feel tired or not.

Also consider not looking at screens (computer, tv, phone) for an hour before bed. Try some recreatiinal reading from a paper book or ereader.

Sleep in a dark room, no flashing led from electronics.

Quite caffine as that can make you feel awake even if you only drink in mornings. It can also add to anxiety and anxious feelings.

And most importantly don't use your phone in bed.

>If you live with family, ask them to sit near you while you work. Let them bully you into not stopping.
Not him, but I have a similar situation.
It really makes me want to get a girlfriend just to have someone nagging me to study.

OP, you need to learn to love the process
youtu.be/eI5KqBGd01M

Next time you waste a bunch of time, ask yourself: was worth it? Was it worth the long-term dream and goal? And the next time you're about to do it again, remember to ask yourself, will be worth it this time?

Save you a couple minutes OP, start watching @3:50, that's what you need to hear

So i didnt read all replies, just yours i think. I have a LOT of anxiety, too, while studying. I loove Math and Physics, but when i sit there and stare on the formulas, nothing goes in, its really stressful and i feel really agitated, bad emotions. What helps me is: observe, how you feel when you actively do something. Then just know this is how it should feel. Be very aware of all emotions (start meditation dude, can only help you on every level of your life).
Also, the reasons i have these feelings is, because i have these really ambitious and perfectionistic visions of myself and really stress myself out to reach them. So what i do is always approach things more casually, fun and as if its low stakes. Because in the end, thats the truth. Its all low stakes, you will survive, who cares if you fail in some area, youll always have your existence.
Studying physics

Thanks for the input user. I guess that is a nice way of looking at things.

Update, I went through the subject matter in about 2 hours. I probably know less tha... dunno, 1/5th(?) of it all, but fuck it, I wanna see what I can do with such "reading". But it is not as difficult as I thought. I'll be able to pass it during the Spetember Retake I reckon.

Simple, find a new place to study and only go there to study

Work out and eat better, it will solve your problem. Now feel free to ignore this post for the next 5 years (or better yet, do it for 2 weeks and then stop because it's not instant) and then find it out for yourself, because I've been where you are and know that nothing we say here will change a goddamn thing. You're the only one who can help you, and you'll get better when you decide to work out and eat better. Have fun fucking hating yourself for the next decade.

>I study better when not in my comfort zone
You know, I've never really thought about it that way, but you're right.
I usually work at home and get somewhat distracted, but when I'm not home I do have a bigger impulse to work. I guess I will be working outdoors more often now. Thanks for the advice man.