Tau

I am a firm believer that Tau is vastly superior than Pi. Prove me wrong, Pi-shitters.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gN9wvSP6KJ8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler's_identity
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

why should I care?

For every time you write tau, there's another time you'll have to write tau/2.

Using tau literally saves no time. And it takes more work for you and everyone else to know what you're saying, so fuck you.

This. There's nothing else to discuss. Don't forget to sage.

ehhhhhhhhh

I mean, in terms of post high school math, you're probably (in fact, almost definitely) right, but I'd say the circumference of a circle formula is by far the most common use of pi. That being said, you could just change r to d, but for some reason it's taught as 2(pi)(r).

This. Anyone who disagrees is a brainlet.

>but for some reason it's taught as 2(pi)(r)
this irritates me
I find it more intuitive to explain it to young people if you can just say "imagine you take the diameter and try and fit it around the circumference, it'll go 3 times with a bit left over, that's pi"

pi came first.
checkmate

You still write 2Pi and Pi in an approximately equal ratio to the amount you write Tau/2 and Tau. Tau is still the amount of radians in a circle. The only difference is that Pi is half of a whole measurement.

my prof would mark me wrong for using tau in my bounds for integration problems. Because why would I want to go from a quarter of a circle to three quarters of a circle when I could go from a half of a half of a circle to three halves of a half of a circle.

Pi is the amount of radians in a triangle. The only difference is that tau is twice of a whole measurement

The idea is that τ is more fundamental than π, so when you write π in a formula,
you're effectively obscuring the meaning that would emerge from writing ½(2π).
e.g. πr2 is a special case of the formula A=½θr2 with θ=2π.

I meant [math]\pi r^2[/math] is a special case of [math]A=\frac12\theta r^2[/math]
with [math]\theta=2\pi[/math].

This right angle is Pi/2 radians. Your point?

Why is it more fundamental? I could argue that triangles are more fundamental than circles, so you're obscuring the real meaning of them.
The point is that your arguments are biased, I could replace the crux of the argument with any arbitrary value for any arbitrary shape. There's nothing special or fundamental about tau.

The Tau Empire is a just a shit stain on the milky way.

The Imperium of Mankind doesn't tolerate your filth.

Alien SCUM! *fires bolter"

Why there are Americans who wanna replace Pi with Tau
Yet don't wanna replace Imperial Measurement Units with the obviously vastly superior Metric System?

this

Fuck off idiot.

That one equation with e to the pi i or whatever

THEY'RE NUMBERS

literally a non-issue for brainlets to discuss.
the real issue is of course, the fact that neither "real"ly exist if you know what I mean

All the literature uses pi. If you want to use tau you'll need to change all the literature to tau. It's more practical to keep using pi to avoid confusions or misunderstandings.

All the plantations use slaves. If you wanna free the slaves you gotta change all the plantations so its much more practical to just keep using slavery

That's called 'False analogy'

Jokes on you im pro-slavery

Both of these are correct

You don't get to just come to a place and say "prove me wrong".
You need to prove yourself right first, which you cannot.
So get the fuck out and kill yourself.

I don't have to prove you wrong because it is such an arbitrary pointless thing to argue about. Using tau or pi doesn't even slightly matter, and any arguments for either of them are at most nitpicking. The best argument for either side is that we already use pi as convention, so why would we change over a fussy argument

[math]\tau = 2*\pi[/math]
done

We use tau for all sorts of shit in engineering and physics, we use it in things that might include pi as well. So your little pseudo intellectual faggotry would render pi basically unused and anything that already uses tau (say as a time constant or Laplace convolution) would need to be replaced. I'm sure an easy answer for a faggot to come up with would be "just switch pi and tau hurr durr" to which I suggest you fucking kill yourself.

There is zero, ZERO fucking benefit to attempting to replace pi with tau other than clickbait faggot sites and "I fucking love science because I studied political science and it has science in the name" to put out faggoty articles about "scientists discover something twice as cool as pi" for faggots like OP to jerk off over and tell their other faggot friends "hey why are you using pi, gosh that's so 2017".

Seriously, I truly deeply hope that you, OP, and your ilk could suffer the horrors of a Nazi concentration camp or the basement of a Texas chainsaw murderer.

>Sperglords get in legitimate arguments over using x or 2*x

>not using \cdot

I am a firm believer that it does not fucking matter.

[math]\tau=2\pi[/math] Excellent
[math]\tau=2\cdot\pi[/math] Good
[math]\tau=2*\pi[/math] Hmm
[math]\tau=2\times\pi[/math] Bad

>use tau when you need to
>use pi when you need to
made me think

>not representing every constant in terms of e

superior in what way?

tau is a more elegant circle constant, soon everyone will be using it and it will be in all textbooks

Oh shit Tau day is today

Tau makes more sense as long as you don't use it passed high school math. This is why the only people you hear advocating for Tau are meme 'Math is fun!' youtube channels that 16 y/o nerds watch.

tau: just turn 2π and walk away

Not in favor of OPs faggotry, but pi is the ratio of a circle's diameter to its circumference, it’s only indirectly related to triangles when you make them play with circles, so that’s kind of a bad argument against said faggotry.

This so much.

τ=π+π

[math]\tau[/math] is the ratio of radius to circumference.
[math]\pi[/math] is the ratio of radius (squared) to area.

The fact that 2[math]\pi = \tau[/math] is remarkable. So remarkable that it actually makes more sense to omit [math]\tau[/math] and just talk in terms of [math]\pi[/math]. Area makes more sense when talking about multiplication than length. And in my humble fucking opinion, [math]\pi[/math] is much more fundamental than 2[math]\pi[/math] is, given that [math]\pi[/math] is irrational and 2 is anything but.

Lol guys, tau is SO KEWL!!! >.<
um... I just want to say... I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE!!!!!! :3
I'm hip and cool with the times, and I care about stupid highschoolers who couldnt give less of a shit about math.
Not about important results like the integral over e^-x^2 or zeta(2).
Fuck you tau shitbags, you listen to hamilton like its creative genius and love to code in fucking ruby and python.
You are memes of people, and you should be treated as such, laughed at by the public.

Who cares? Nobody in maths/science ever writes Pi in decimal notation, it's just a tool. Who gives a fuck if you divide it by 2 or whatever?

Which is more elegant?
[eqn] e^{i \pi} = -1 [/eqn]
or
[eqn] e^{i \frac{\tau}{2}} = -1 [/eqn]

This

arbitrary.

High schooler detected. One day you'll understand.

please be bait

euler's identity is the most important discovery in mathematics though

[math]e^{τi} = 1[/math]

I suppose it's not super obvious that that would be the case so I shouldn't have called bait, but it's actually alot simpler using tau, further underlining the fact that it's a more fundamental constant

>The most important periodic functions are [math]\tau[/math]-periodic
>a circle or a full turn has [math]\tau[/math] radians
>complex analysis is the study of integrals with coefficient [math]1/i\tau[/math]
>one of the two most fundamental constants in physics, [math]\hbar =h/\tau[/math]
>euler's formula doesn't look retarded with [math]\tau[/math]
>etc

what arguments do pitards even have other than hurr durr it's already everywhere in books

the pi vs. tau debate is the most retarded thing ever. tau is literally pi multiplied by 2. arguing which is better is like arguing whether 2 or 4 is better.

Allow the circle constant to be defined up to a rational nonzero multiplicative factor, so long as the value of the imaginary unit is divided by the same factor such that their product is invariant.

youtube.com/watch?v=gN9wvSP6KJ8

only, this is not eulers identity.

in fact, that statement is false.

your close those.
close.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler's_identity

[math]A=\pi r^2[/math]

oh, my mistake. i thought that was pi

"pitards" know how to multiply by 2

>hurr durr just MULTIPLY by TWO hehehe
literal cancer

[math]\frac{\lim_{n\to\infty}(1 + \frac{1}{n})^n}{2}[/math]
don't you love the formula for euler's number
yes you have to multiply it by two every time to get the base of the natural logarithm, but how much of a task is that

hehe [math]e[/math]-tards just don't know how evaluate that limit each time
[math]\lim_{n\to\infty} (1+\frac{1}{n})^n[/math] is everywhere in the textbooks, you'd have to replace it all of them with [math]e[/math]

>tfw r[math]e[/math]tards will insist on using stupid good for nothing [math]e[/math]
>instead of using glorious o^x (o for oiler)
>sure, every time you differentiate you have an extra factor but you just have to DIVIDE by it lmao

It's Tau/4

Why would you want to name [math]e[/math] after Euler? It's Napier's constant.

>[math]\tau=2 \pi[/math]
>the [math]\tau[/math] symbol is half of the [math]\pi[/math] symbol

How about: [math]\pi[/math] for full circle, [math]\tau[/math] for semicircle and [math]\iota[/math] for a right angle

Who are these taufags anyway? I've never met a single person IRL who used tau.

since when do right angles have anything to do with circles you fucking retard

Since trigonometry you gigantic faggot

I thought that Veeky Forums being underage was a meme but I'm now convinced

Tau: one leg

Pi: two legs

The truth is evident, brainlet

>not using [math]\tau \! \tau \! \tau \! \tau \! \tau \! \tau \! \tau \! \tau [/math]

radius defines a circle a lot better than diameter IMO

As the post you're replying to said, there's a problem with this. Tau isn't so standard as pi so using you'd have to explain your notation fairly often. Because of this, it's faster to use pi always (even if the formula isn't as `simple').

Yep.