In need of some dental advice

In need of some dental advice.
This is my tooth.
It's been hurting me sometimes for a few months. Not a huge pain, and just sometimes. Today it started to hurt more. I took some pills and now I'm fine, I still feel a pain but it's like a 1/10 lingering pain. A few hours ago it was maybe a 3.

Obviously this is some decay. I just want to know if it's going to need a root canal or just a filling. Does it looke like a tooth rotten to the root to you ?

Other urls found in this thread:

scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=flossing gum health
zm-online.de/themen/Kuriose-Faelle_319011.html?seite=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

go see a dentist you brainlet

That dark seam going down the side seems pretty scary.

If you have pain its probably down to the root. Looks like a root canal for you buddy.

I'm going tomorrow but I'd like to know

Pretty goddamn sure it's a root canal. You gotta get that shit looked at quick.

How often do you floss?

I had something similar once, the decay wasn't as visible to the naked eye. Basically, the pulp of your tooth is infected and you will need a root canal. I had one and its not as bad as people make it, however it's also not as painless as some dentist's websites like to portray. It's a fairly standard procedure and you have nothing to worry about user, so long as you go to the dentist and get it taken care of asap. Long term effects of leaving this untreated get really, really painful and invasive.

I had one last year. Dentist did it in two times. First time : absolutely painless. Second time : painful because he fucked up the anesthesia and started anyway even though I told him I wasn't feeling numb...
Of course I won't ever go back to that dentist.

Anyway I checked some earlier stages of decay on the internet and it looks like it... why are you all so sure it's gotten to the pulp ?

Go see a dentist. Its broken.

Interestingly enough, I had a similar thing happen to your second experience, except when I told my dentist that the numbing agent wasn't working he explained the following (I apologize for the lack of detail and preciseness I'm just stating what I remember, I'm not a chemist):
The infection has progressed so much that when the numbing agent is applied, it reacts with the infection and changes into a useless chemical that doesn't numb your nerves. He prescribed a strong antibiotic for 2 weeks to take down the infection. Next time that I went in I was completely numb after the injection.

To your question about the pulp infection, I can't actually be certain that the pulp is infected, they will check with an X-ray. However, if there is even the slightest chance that the pulp is infected, which is high considering your constant, dull pain, they will opt to do the root canal. If they didn't do so, and assumed it could just be treated as a simple cavity, your health could be in danger if they were wrong. In filling the cavity, they would be sealing the infection inside your tooth, which means a root canal would be needed eventually.

Yeaaah I think mine just missed the spot to numb me well and he was in a hurry, ignoring pretty much everything I was saying.
Weird because the first time I didn't feel anything and it was apparently the "worst" part of the job (taking the nerves out)

Thanks for the reply anyway.
The first time I needed a root canal, they started by doing a filling and I had the root canal maybe 2 months later. I don't think they'll do it tomorrow but we'll see...

Sure thing user, good luck

Get some Clove Oil. The kind used for cooking like LorAnn brand (pic). Brush your teeth once. Take some floss (not the Glide stuff, you want the stuff that is a bunch of fibers) and dip it into the clove oil. Floss that tooth and the two teeth around it and the 3 matching teeth above/below it. Try not to touch anything else with the clove oil during this time.

Note that the clove oil tastes fucking terrible and will burn like a bitch for a few moment, but it will do 2 things. 1, is an amazing antimicrobial and 2, is a great local numbing agent.

Once you are done flossing those teeth, you can brush all your teeth with 1 drop of clove oil on your tooth brush. Let the oil stay on your teeth for no less than 5 minutes. Everything will burn then go numb and taste like shit. Just rinse and spit and use a wash cloth on your tongue if you want. It isn't too bad.

After you have done this. Wait ten days to see if the pain goes and stays gone. However, if your tooth is loose or part of it is broken then this is only a temporary help for you until you are able to go to your dentist. Like you make an appointment but it is in 2 weeks and you need relief now, use clove oil.

I've had a few. It depends on the location of the tooth, how long your roots are, how well you take local pain shots, and the dentist's skill. A bad one feels like electric, but goes away fairly quickly if you sit still and let the dentist finish quickly.

>LorAnn brand (pic)

Are root canals supposed to be painful? I had one, spread over 3 sessions, and it was honestly completely painless. Dentistry has evolved a lot over the past decade, to a point where you'll never feel most than a light pull.

Also had one. Round five years ago. Felt basically nothing. Just don't fucking move and nothing the dentist can do will ever hurt. Often times you think that it hurts, but it's really just anxiety induced by the loud ass dremel in your mouth.

Man, I don't understand tooth pain. Like, two of my back teeth are so rotted they're black and half-sister, but I've never had any serious pain because of it. Am I just weirdly resistant? Are people exaggerating their pain?

Your nerves could be completely dead and you just wouldn't be able to feel it.

Hi OP, r/dentaladvice is a good resource for these questions if you can't wait

That happened to me when I was fucking 8. Not a root canal, but 4 fillings in my back teeth.
He said I was tough since most kids bawled the whole time. Horrible dentists. All 4 of my teeth had to be redone and were decayed.
I let one tear slip, and that's honestly the only time I ever remember crying because of pain.

My 8 year old mind might have inflated it, but I'm pretty sure that's still the worst pain I've ever felt. And I've played goalie with a broken finger for a couple months, torn my acl and mcl in rugby, etc.

My acl might have hurt worseat times but it wasn't as long nor was I 8 strapped down to an uncomfortable chair with my mouth pried open and several people drilling in my teeth

Guy whose had 16+ teeth removed here, AMA.

That's bad and you need to get it fixed before it abscesses because that's godawful and you can die. Also the tooth looks salvageable still. That being said, a lot of the time extraction is easier, cheaper and a better long term solution.

Never let this happen. Most dentists will give you more painkillers if you tell them you're not numb. if they don't then fucking walk out, because nothing is worth that shit. Fuck that dickhead.

This can happen. I've been there a couple times, basically the infection is acidic and the painkillers are basic, so it can neutralize them completely if it's bad enough.

This is useful advice, clove oil is very effective but very short lived as a painkiller. Also, especially for dental pain, tylenol and ibuprofen can be taken together at full strength, because tylenol is its own family of painkiller and neither an NSAID or an opiate.

No dentistry should ever be painful. Complain bitterly to your dentist if it is.

Depends on the tooth and how it rots. if it dies early on, you won't feel much pain until it rots all the way through and starts abscessing, which can take years of neglect. I have had exactly that happen twice before. One of the times it took two weeks to get into a dentist and it was the second worst thing I have ever experienced (after kidney stones).

>16 teeth
How do you afford that shit?

Are you from Louisiana by chance?

Charity programs, government dental care, and extensive use of the UW school of dentistry's student clinics. Had a few done a ways back at a free clinic when I was homeless, as well.

I'm getting the last two on top pulled in ~2 weeks and then 6-9 months and I get a complete upper denture and possibly partial lowers. And before you ask, I don't smoke meth and I'm under 30. Whee.

Rural Washington. Bad genetics, low income and acid reflux.

Holy fuck... elaborate more user ffs

Let me know what you want elaboration on specifically and I'll be able to get back to you after I've slept.

>Rural Washington. Bad genetics, low income and acid reflux.

It is just bad diet for the most part. Though, something tells me your dentist saw a sucker coming a mile away.

How does a bad diet do that? What do you mean genetics? Why so many fucking teeth, did you ever brush/floss?

When I mentioned "bad diet" I wasn't specifically meaning sugary foods, but also not getting the proper nutrition from the foods he eats. The latter compounds the former and accelerates it. A bad diet can be from lack of nutrition or even from excessive nutrition (overeating). The whole field of study is terribly unscientific due to the nature of health and diet being so vastly different between every variable you can imagine. If you google info, use google scholar, not normal google.

Most of the people in my family have tooth problems of some kind or another, and most of them also have acid reflux. A lot of the damage is from my wisdom teeth crushing my molars and then rotting, and a lot of it is from my stomach pumping fucking acid into my mouth to digest my teeth while I sleep. That's why I have some left on the bottom and fuckall on top, my tongue mostly protected the ones on the bottom. The two remaining ones on top are actually quite healthy, but coming out for the sake of dentures and preventing them from also eventually being digested.
I brushed and flossed somewhat, but never enough, and for a long time it was too painful to do so, or my teeth were jammed to close together or too jagged and cracked to floss.

Now that all the ones on the bottom are filled and nothing hurts, I can actually brush and floss every day, it's really really nice not having my mouth taste like death and rot.

ProTip: If you have lots of cavities, its probably because you sleep with your mouth open.

Don't eat any food within 5 hours of going to bed. No drinks other than pure water either. Don't eat chocolate after noon.

Milk honestly triggers it more than anything. I haven't had significant amounts of soda in years at this point, it makes me feel sick ever since I went on a low carb diet for a year or two. Also fuck you I'll eat what I want.

>tfw sleep with mouth closed, breath through nose, brush teeth 3 times a day and floss and still get cavities regularly
>tfw my gf sleeps with mouth open every night, brushes her teeth twice a day, doesn't floss and never got a single cavity in her life
fugg genetics

Flossing has no scientifically proven benefits

I personally floss because it gets my teeth cleaner and I get meat and starchy things jammed in painfully between them which would otherwise rot. But I also like not being a disgusting faggot.

How is ANYTHING you just mentioned explaining it's "genetic".
You sound like those fat whales that "argue" by stating their symptoms and then saying it's "genetic".

>Also fuck you I'll eat what I want.

Enjoy acid reflux stripping your esophagus and destroying the rest of your teeth. There's a huge list of life things parents teach their children. This is one of them.

>tfw eating broccoli or meat and having it jam into my gum

If I don't floss it out, it will get infected, swell up to really painful status, and get all funky as fuck.

It is genetic because he has a genetic predisposition to do stupid shit based on laziness, "muh grandpa did it too so it be fine", eat a poor diet, and receive shitty parenting.

srs, this guy better be coming up with more than what he have brought so far.
Until then I will assume he is a pathetic loser.

it improves gum health you twat

show me the research that supports this.

scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=flossing gum health

I can tell you didn't read any of those studies, the first study "Flossing for the management of periodontal diseases and dental caries in adults" state

>Twelve trials were included in this review which reported data on two outcomes (dental plaque and gum disease). Trials were of poor quality and conclusions must be viewed as unreliable. The review showed that people who brush and floss regularly have less gum bleeding compared to toothbrushing alone. There was weak, very unreliable evidence of a possible small reduction in plaque. There was no information on other measurements such as tooth decay because the trials were not long enough and detecting early stage decay between teeth is difficult.

What a surprise, someone on Veeky Forums who has no idea what he is talking about

I've honestly had nightmares about losing my teeth since I never brushed them when I was young and my permanent ones started to wiggle

You're living my childhood nightmare

I can't tell if you are memeing or just being a fucking retard. I'm going to assume the latter and stop spoonfeeding you.

Why don't you design an experiment to test the benefits of flossing and get back to me if you find something significant

>tfw tooth rotted out as a kid (only some of the blackened outer layer remains) and still haven't gone to the dentist
>still a giant pussy and don't wanna go
>videos on youtube of people in similar situations make it seem like the extraction isn't painful
Man I wish I wasn't a dumbass as a kid

If the dentist isn't a fraud or a retard it's fine. Many places will give you a prescription for Xanax if you have legit anxiety problems, which helps tremendously. And yes the first needle will often suck, but it's all uphill from there.

Oh, and get that shit treated before it starts to fester and becomes a genuine problem because an untreated abscess is worse than you can possibly imagine and can eventually kill you.

dude getting shot with Novocaine or w/e they use doesn't hurt, it just feels momentarily uncomfortable, you don't feel pain just pressure

Your teeth are truly one part of the body that you do not want to neglect. I didn't start seriously brushing my teeth until the age of 25. Prior to that, I maybe brushed them once a week on and off. Never flossed. I was lucky enough to not have any major issues...but I got the shit scared out of me during a check up about a year ago which is what set me straight. Basically my gingivitis was getting so bad that my gum line was beginning to recede.

Can you guess how they rebuild your gums? They cut out a fucking block from the roof of your mouth and use that tissue to rebuild them.

I've had one cavity thus far and I have those lesions caused by bacteria that grow between your teeth due to plaque build-up/not flossing but that is apparently fairly common so it's not that big of a deal. I just have to up my game to not let it spread.

Also, I still have one baby tooth which my liberal dentist has been saying for years will eventually fall out but I don't think it will

Novacaine was shown to be largely ineffective and only really works well on ~40% of people. Most places have switched to Lidocaine and I personally prefer that, or Marcaine. Also no amount of topical anesthetic can make that first needle not hurt, but ones they get it in there, like I said, it's all uphill from there.

Oh, and nitrous is the tits if you can get it. That shit will knock your ass off.

Scenario:
You have something stuck in your teeth. Brushing doesn't remove it.

How do you troll out of this one?
Floss performs the work of toothpicks or whatever else you'd think of.

>Xanax

You may as well KYS than take that shit.

Get your shit together and go to the dentist. You'll be glad you did.

I had a root canal and it hurt a lot. If your tooth nerve is damaged than the anesthetic will not be able affect to whole tooth.

>Veeky Forums - Science & Math

This is how I imagine all /pol/ user's mouths are.

I'm pretty sure medical is part of science.

Nigger

what type of prothesis will you get afterwards
how are they fixating it?

i suppose they give you screws in the bone because they cant fixate them to old teeths?

My gums get sore when I don't floss, cleaning between your teeth is pretty damn important

zm-online.de/themen/Kuriose-Faelle_319011.html?seite=0

maybe you are interested its a german site dentists post some of realy fucked up self repairs

or pic never brushed in decades

>zm-online.de/themen/Kuriose-Faelle_319011.html?seite=0
dude, wtf is wrong with germany?

Just a normal old person dentures for now, with glue I guess. The last two teeth are coming out so I can get one full denture instead of 2 partials, plus those teeth WILL die eventually and I may as well save money and time. I will get brackets implanted later if I can afford it, and eventually implants if I happen to have several thousand dollars to spare.

Saliva will disintegrate it completely or to a point where it can be brushed out

Is that what happens when plaque reaches its logical conclusion?

Assuming it's not covered by gums, and you want food being digested into poop in your mouth, yeah that will eventually work. Or abscess. Either one's fucking disgusting.

I'm sorry I thought the point was to prevent cavities.

Fun fact: when I was a kid I had a popcorn kernel shell stuck in my gum for years. It was there long enough I thought it was part of me (stuck behind my top incisor)

Eventually got it out one day, saliva didn't do shit

How much science does one require to know that bacteria stuck between your tooth and gum that has a food source to boot is going to cause you problems?

>Also fuck you I'll eat what I want.

lol and here I was actually feeling for you.

Go ahead and lose the rest of your teeth you disgusting rotten waste of a human.

Maybe your brushing too much or too hard?

Stay away from acid, sugar, and other stuff that can degrade your teeth. Drink acidic stuff with a straw, burp often to prevent bloating from straws.

Eat a cucumber or some neutral vegetable (carrot, brocolli, lettuce, celery, etc.) after a meal to clean teeth so bacteria cant grow.

Do some more research on this, I even brush my teeth once a day during school breaks but have only ever had 1 cavity a long time ago which I couldnt explain, I think it was due to a chipped tooth.

I watch fucked up shit everyday on the internet but this shit still managed me to make me barf. What the fuck?

I had something similar, mine had a slight crack in it so the dentist drilled it nearly all out and filled it, after it hurt like hell when I ate on it, then after a few weeks the filling fell out and it felt fine so I didn't go back to tell them it fell out, after a year or 2 it started hurting when I ate on it or touched inside it, then a few weeks ago it started hurting nonstop, at first it was a 1-3 then went to 4-5 and after a day or two it was 8-10, I managed to go to a dentist and get it taken out the same day

Honestly OP, don't leave it and hope it'll go, I was taking ibuprofen and paracetamol and numbing cream and it still hurt like hell, mine had started decaying to the nerve, go see a dentist asap, this shit hurts and makes your ears and head hurt so you can't tell if it's a tooth or migraine or ear infection

this guy knows, brushing is important but how clean your teeth are in between brushing is even more important

no amount of hygiene will save you if you nibble on acidic/sweet food throughout the day and keep food stuck to teeth after meal

Im btw

Do you have any other tooth preservation advice?

Im at the polar end of the asshat in this thread, he barely cares for his teeth whereas im paranoid about losing them. Parents are in their 50s with all but 1 or 2 teeth still there, so my genetics should be pretty decent.
Also, i found this interesting...
>3335
>3355

You also have to be careful of starchy stuff, since sugary crap is only in your mouth for a very short time it can't do as much damage as say, chips or cookies which become a very sticky paste that can stick for hours or more, and are just as delicious to bacteria.

what in the actual fuck

Wtf? How did that no. Manage ti be identical? What happen

You can try sleeping on an incline, maybe it will be more difficult for acid to come up?