Why all the hate on tilapia? Is even a fraction of the scare tactics based on truth?

Why all the hate on tilapia? Is even a fraction of the scare tactics based on truth?

It seems to be all the ghetto people sharing shit like this. I'm assuming they just equate cheap with bad.

Other urls found in this thread:

snopes.com/food/warnings/tilapia.asp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pretty much none of that is true, meaningful, or actually in English. Just googling it tells you most of these are dead wrong (how could you even come up with it being boneless? it's a vertebrate).

>this fish is a mutant and it's killing our families
Man, X-Men got weird.

Of the statements in your image:

>No bones
False. All fish have bones.

>No skin
False -- maybe some moran is looking at tilapia filets?

>Can't be overcooked
False, it may be more tolerant to over cooking than some fish, I guess.

>You can't find tilapia in the wild

false, you can now even find it in the world in places it was not naturally occurring as an invasive species.

>Harvested on farms
Yes. Like an increasing number of fish available in your local market, farers are growing tilapia. I know of no wild tilapia fishery of any size.

>Not sure what the one about Algae is even trying to say.

>Worse than bacon or hamburger
In and of itself, no. If you fry it or put sauce on it, you may be getting close, but that's on your sauce, not on the tilapia. Tilapia is lacking in beta-three oils, in fact -- so it is not as healthy as many other fish. But it is not actively bad for you.

>Dioxin

Horse shit. I mean, traces may be found in most anything. But there is nothing specific to tilapia that creates dioxin.

>mutant
I guess everything is, if you define it that way. Tilapia is a naturally occurring fish, though.

>killing families

Only if you are freezing it, sharpening one edge, and hacking your family to death with one.

>>Not sure what the one about Algae is even trying to say.
They're complaining about the feed used in farms, but it just becomes a weird word salad because they had their brain replaced by gmo soy and corn.

Wow, that pic is horrid.

Fucking everything has Dioxin in it.

>In fish, these toxins bioaccumulate up the food chain so that dioxin levels in fish are 100,000 times that of the surrounding environment. The best way to avoid dioxin exposure is to reduce or eliminate your consumption of meat and dairy products by adopting a vegan diet.
>The best way to avoid dioxin exposure is to reduce or eliminate your consumption of meat and dairy products by adopting a vegan diet.
>eliminate your consumption of meat and dairy products by adopting a vegan diet.

Fuck off vegan terrorists

>snopes.com/food/warnings/tilapia.asp
>One of the reasons for the popularity of tilapia is that they are short-lived and primarily vegetarian and therefore do not accumulate substantial amounts of mercury by consuming other fish, as other common predatory food fish (such as tuna) do. This factor also means, as reported in a June 2013 National Geographic article, that tilapia are more efficient to farm because they eat lower on the food chain:
>However, farmed tilapia can vary considerably in quality based on where they are produced. Tilapia are typically farmed in the U.S. and Canada using tanks with closed recirculating systems, but much of the tilapia consumed by Americans is imported from Latin America and Asia (particularly Ecuador, China, and Taiwan), where the fish are usually raised in outdoor freshwater ponds. (China is the world’s largest producer of farmed tilapia, supplying approximately 40% of global production; nearly 40% of that output is exported to the U.S., primarily in the form of frozen fillets.)
>As reported by the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF), in Ecuador tilapia are grown at low densities alongside shrimp to reduce water pollution, resulting in less disease and chemical use. But in China and Taiwan, water pollution and the use of chemicals in tilapia farming is a concern.
>One of the issues with tilapia farmed in China is that smaller, independent farmers face economic pressures to use animal manure rather than more expensive commercial feed for farmed fish, a practice which contaminates water and makes the fish more susceptible to spreading foodborne diseases.

tl;dr version: Chinese food is poison (what else is new). Buy food from literally anywhere else.

spooky

Leviticus 11:9

>Of all the creatures living in the water of the seas and the streams you may eat any that have fins and scales.

Tilapia is more than fine to eat, but I'd rather eat salmon or snapper. If you want to know what's ok to eat and what's not ok then just read the book of Leviticus the 11 chapter.

Oy vey

Some fish have cartilage skeletons instead of bones. Tilapia, however are bony fish and have bones. I'm pretty sure this retarded bullet point is because most tilapia comes store bought in cans, where it obviously doesn't have skin or bones, and it is most likely cured/preserved in such a way that 'overcooking' it is impossible.

>speices
>do to

>Other pic is horrid

Tilapia have fins and scales.

I've never seen it canned but it is often sold here in the form of frozen filets -- no bones or skin.

Not sure what the point of saying it cant be overcooked even is supposed to be.

That would seem a good thing -- easier to prepare, less likely to go to waste.

>typos/homophoned invalidate information

Let me guess, you made the OP image.

"This ad was sponsored by GhettoBacon Inc."

They do feed the fish the shit of other fish (saw it on Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe).

>If you want to know what's ok to eat and what's not ok then just read the book of Leviticus the 11 chapter.

Then there's all those asians who eat anything.

>bible quotes used as evidence for anything
>on Veeky Forums
So /pol/ really is spreading like a virus here.

he was obviously joking you mong

Fish are disgusting desu.

People for reason think that because something is cheap it must be bad for you

>False. All fish have bones.
tilapia have way less bone mass than normal fish.

they're an abomination.

I know right? Gooks are a lowly heathen racee, only faggots like Bill Gates accepts them. The punishment for not keeping the law happens to be death, so we need to do something about these creatures before they make us eat spiders and vultures.

> (You)
What is "speices" a homophone for? Perhaps I am pronouncing it incorrectly.

Due/Do you moran.

Post this pic on /pol/ and they'll believe it all.

tilapia is tasty as fuck, why would anyone complain about it? want a bad fish? the panga/basa tastes terrible and is probably raised in Chinese sewers somewhere out there

Heh heh heh, you sad "doo doo."