Applied Maths

Should I even bother with it?

No, the ladies love it when you do pure math.

Decide for yourself but keep in mind - only PURE mathematics will get you 300k starting after PhD
So only if you hate money

Maths for the sake of maths is pretty useless to me :L

Applied mathematics is the field that retains sanity, the only one worth studying.

What is considered as pure mathematics today is just nonsensical bs completely detached from reality and it's a waste of time.

I'd take pure maths instead if I was making 300k but where the actual fuck can I find a job like this?
What company will offer me the money?

Just do Physics( or Mathematical Physics )

you get the complimentary 300k when you receive your degree in pure math

Why not both?

lmao, don't fall for the meme man

>pure maths today
>posts image of principia mathematica from early 20th century

Be gone naysayer

>I don't understand what "today" means in this context

Just do a double degree of pure mathematics if you enjoy it alongside something that will get you a job like business.

Is applied math a good master's degree to pursue if I want to use numerical methods for engineering and machine learning applications?

I have a BS in MechE.

yes, but you should have programming experience as well.

never go for just masters. go into ph program and then quit after getting masters. this way you wont have to pay, and your advisor will actually give you the time of day

then do engineering. why would you do applied math when you can do applied applied math and have an easier career.

Applied Maths is literally Maths for brainlets.
Just go for a math degree and chose "applied" courses if you want to do that.

Why is applied maths for brainlets?

>What company will offer me the money?
Any company you want.

>he somehow differentiates pure math from applied math
>however he also says math is above physics, that is why it is so precious
That feel when you keep posting retarded images and talking about PURA METH when you don't even have baby tier consistency

Pure maths is as useful as social sciences.

Applied maths if you want a job

Yes.

I'm doing double major applied math and comp sci.
I'm the anti-Veeky Forumsentist.

No, actually you are the meta scientist you dummy. What do you think pure math is? Science? Fuck no. Pure math is the fucking opposite of science.

But applied math and CS are both pretty much a degree in general science. You are the literal every-scientist.

Scientist != Veeky Forumsentist
I'm pretty sure he used that term to refer to people who browse Veeky Forums, just like how /v/irgin and /mu/tant don't refer to actual virgins and mutants.

>implying applied math program isn't the same as pure math but it just focus on calc, prob, stats, computation by default

>just like how /v/irgin and /mu/tant don't refer to actual virgins and mutants.

Speak for yourself.