ITT: stack/recent purchases thread

r8, h8, get validation from internet strangers. you know the drill

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DBX123HJVLc
youtube.com/watch?v=nYymnxoQnf8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You strike me as a fellow redpiller. Against women and minorities too, lad?

2666-Roberto Bolano(2/3rds of the way done)
The Ice Trilogy-Sorokin
The Little Demon-Sologub
Samarkand-Amin Maalouf
White Noise-Don Delilo
City and the City-China Melvile
Samuel Becket-Complete shorter plays

Not pictured, the Complete Works of Machiavelli.

Why anyone would buy a "portable reader" is beyond me.

I'm not opinionated enough to be against this group or that group, I just like history.
how do you like 2666?

I'm nearly done with the part about the crimes but I love it so far. Only thing I'm really not complete and utter certain about is the timeline since it seems to jump ahead really haphazardly at various points, the first two parts may as well take place roughly around the same time but I thought everything with Amalfantino's wife cucking him was boring until he started rambling about geometry but I loved how cozy the friendship was between the three critics and Liz was a top qt. I'm looking forward to the final part.

purchases this week
spent around $30 total

Hah! I used Design Basics in a stonecarving class I took. It's a really nice textbook, I've never seen it since though.

Not a stack but whatevs

plus Flann Obrien collected works.

I got memed.

>Gore Vidal
Every time I see him mentioned I think of this:
youtube.com/watch?v=DBX123HJVLc

The Third Policeman and At Swim-Two-Birds are great.

Christmas stack

nice bible brother
should I read stein? also how's that mcelroy book
yeah you got memed, but the greeks are legitimately great. I know I will enjoy them the rest of my life
how much of this have you read?

I'm not the fastest reader, and only read once at a time but I've read so far "Growth of the Soil" and a good deal into "Into the Darkness". Also thumbed through a bit of "Weapons of Chess" that is less of a novel though and just chess strategy

How did you like Hamsun?

Really really liked it. I plan to pick up most of his other works now, going to get Hunger soon. I'm not the most well read yet but I'd say at this point he is my favorite author

noice bit of Beckett, have you read Happy Days or Waiting for Godot? are his shorter plays worth the read?

Nice choices my man.
Gotta love the russians. I just finished TBK (Greatest book I've ever read) and am planning on picking up The Master and Margarita.

> master and margarita

bought this one recently as well. No idea what I'm in for tho

If the top is Kaufmann's 'The Portable Nietzsche' then congratulations, I own the same one - albeit an older edition.

It's great, but just a heads-up: Kaufmann's sanitized, liberal and 'politically correct' interpretation of Nietzsche has been more or less revealed as the sham that it is.

You will have to embrace the fact that Nietzsche says and believes things at odds with what I presume are your modern, Western liberal democratic sensibilities. He believed in a sort of meritocratic eugenics, for example. He believed in euthanizing the sick, that Great/Higher Men should be beyond the remit of the state, that equality is fundamentally not a good thing, that war is fundamentally a good thing, and so on.

How Veeky Forums am i Anons?
>picador m&m
Show us that cover boy.

Is it special in some way?

Have any of you read Creation before? Looks interesting.

I was hoping it would be this one
Sorry for shit pic.

good call with City of God

put on a trip so i can filter you already

bless me

Fucking suicide squad? What sort of bullsit is this? GTFO!

Make sure to read Machiavelli's Discourses. If you've read about early Roman history (mainly Livy but in general as well) you'll have more fun, but I think even without the ancient background it will be accessible, much like how Montaigne mentions recent history but actually says what happened and doesn't assume you know all the details.

Discourses is like the Prince but more thorough and less meme-y. Also contains a very famous chunk of commentary on conspiracies which is worth reading on its own. Hope you like it!

Nice Eusebius choice brotha

Also would like to know

all that for $30? where at?

>"Seeds of Hope: Wisdom and Wonder from the World of Plants", Goodall
>"The Lime Works", Bernhard
>"The Art of War", Sun Tzu
>"The Plague", Camus
>"Ecclesiastes"
>"Sun and Steel", Mishima

eh, sort of lit

I like that this version has commentary for every chapter, looking forward to reading it

Why did you get tommorow when the war began?

I have this copy, best cover 10/10

Also recently purchased a book by Bourdieu, one by Durkheim and Epicurus's letter to menoeceus

I also recently brought City of God.
I have no idea what I'm in for.

Since everyone's reposting old shit so will I

Mainly stuff i picked up at a thrift store sale. The Idiot is new though.

>Gene Wolfe
My nigga

"New Confessors of Russia" -- Archimandrite Damascene (Orlovsky)

"Shop Class as Soulcraft: An inquiry into the value of work"-- Matthew B. Crawford

>Clarice Lispector

Im brazilian and proud.

Surprised to see a copy of Cyropaedia. I think I've seen only two other copies of that edition on lit, one being my own.

Very cool choice. Consider buying Loeb editions in the future for lesser-known ancient texts like that one, especially those like Cyropaedia which aren't offered by penguin/oxford.

Hope you enjoy it!

What is The Idiot about?

Fuck, is this a meme already?

I think of this:
youtube.com/watch?v=nYymnxoQnf8

An idiot

Left pile is what I found in my Nana's book pile that didn't seem like romance smut after she passed away. Of variable and dubious worth.
Right pile was a ~$15 Goodwill killing.
M&D and AtD are my last two Pynchons. Which first?

>rise and fall dust jacket with the swastika on the spine removed

I see that a lot at used bookstores, like they're afraid of keeping it on.

Here

me

Please read Idiot and HoD before any of the others.

I read the Oxford edition of Dubliners a while back. The annotations were almost useless. I hope you find them more useful in those volumes.

I have language envy

Haha you have a future as a standup comedian!!! Literally can't even stop laughing!!!!

Some good stuff in here regardless of what people say. CoMC is some good eats

>livy

based as fuck. books 21-30 are the most exciting, but 1-10 are still very interesting. 31-45 are the "worst" but still very good.

C'est vraiment intéressant de lire des livres des sociologues ?

HAI GUISE user HERE WITH ANOTHER BOOK HAUL xDD

well, where's your book haul xD

who would you rather recommend, user ?

I'll be getting to livy in a few weeks, and translator recommendations?

I was reading it alongside Thales to Dewey, made it stick a bit better

Just finished Seducer's Diary, make a thread on it when you're done so we can chat

Aubrey de selincourt is relatively famous (as much as a translator can be, I think) for his translations, but he only did books 1-5 and 21-30. His versions are the ones offered by penguin (at least the newer, post 1990s versions, entitled "the early history of rome" and "the war with hannibal," respectively). Even the non-selincourt translations from penguin (books 6-10, "rome and italy," and 31-45, "rome and the mediterranean") are solid, and I didn't notice a real drop in quality from any translator to the next.

The only alternatives are Loeb (expensive, no need unless you read latin) and oxford press. Never read the translations of either, but I had so much fun reading the penguin editions that I'd heartily recommend those. By far one of my favorite ancient writers, and probably the most fun ancient historian.

>Either conquer, or, should fortune hesitate to favour you, meet death in battle rather than in flight. Think on these things; carry them printed on your minds and hearts. Then — I repeat — success is already yours. God has given to man no sharper spur to victory than contempt of death.

Hope you like him, and please post about him when you start reading!

Yes my man. In Cégep, (google it) my sociology teachers were, along with my philosophy teachers, the most literate and the most knowledgeable. This made me very interested in sociology.

Of course, as you know, the human sciences right now are looked down upon because a good portion of the student population is of very mediocre intelligence, but the founding fathers of sociology as well as a few key modern sociologists are very interesting to read.

Reading Durkheim's on suicide is what really convinced me of the value of the field.

It's difficult to say.

Most Nietzsche 'scholars' - those who have dedicated themselves in some way, almost invariably read him through the lens of a political ideology. That is to say, in the service of a political ideology - and here I quote Bloom, "If you're reading in the service of an ideology, you're not really reading at all."

Kauffman aside, most 20th century Nietzsche enthusiasts were French psychanalytical/post-modernist/post-structuralist hacks.

My honest advice is to just read Nietzsche directly. Spend time on him. That is the best preparation for dealing with the many shitty interpretations that came after.

>The Master and Margarita

Based as fuck.

can someone redpill me on livy, are there seriously 45 books? please tell me that there are at least like 5 books per book or do people actually buy 45 books?

O widze polaki-robaki jednak czytajo!
Mishima w przekładzie na ang?

No and kinda yes.

pic related contains books 1-5, is about 500 pages. Keep in mind that the organization of a work into books in the past is different than our modern conception of a book

Has anyone ever gotten bedbugs from a used book? I had a friend get them once from buying from a yard sale, how can you tell?

Is a bedbug a spook?

Wow, thanks for the help.

That cover lol.

>Did two human babies just suckle me wtf

Got all for about $3.00 at my local thrift store

Got the whole stack for $3 at a local thrift store sale today.

The books go up to 45 (all the later books are lost), but 11-20 are missing, so 35 total books. But these are "books" more like chapters rather than volumes, ranging from 40 to 100ish pages each. Like how Herodotus is 8ish "books," Thucydides is 7ish "books," etc. All of Livy put together is about 2100 pages. Nothing to sneeze at, but not impossible.

Stranger is a fantastic book.

Most of these look seconhand, so maybe he just got them at a flea market.
Just bought the bilingual (Old French and Modern French) edition of Pantagruel, No Longer Human, and The Political History of France by H.Néant.
The pleasantness of the experience really depends on the author, most of the times they make it quite easy for you to understand, like H.Becker and most of the people from the School of Chicago, but I don't think everyone can appreciate some of the most theoric works of Durkheim as they would a good literary book.
Still, if you have to work on it, it's not that complicated.
Economy is way worse, especially Walras. Smith is actually fun, like reading Swift except all the stories are economical metaphors.
Getting books from my dead grandma scarred me for life. She was a literature teacher, and she's the one who got me into reading, but her notes and analysis were so bad in each play it kind of destroyed the image I had of her.

Is this not normal? I just guessed the dust jacket on a book from 50-60 isn't a likely thing to have survived.

Luckily in my case she didn't seem to read much. I sorted through 1000+ books and only half of them showed signs of attention...

Thoughts?

Only got one book recently.

Memoirs from the house of the dead - Dostoevsky

Never seen it recommended here before, but it will actually be my first dosto. I got it because I like stuff about prisons.

Just finished The count of monte cristo, which was prison related. Now I am reading 'The stars my destination' by Alfred Bester, which, I didn't realise before reading, seems like sci-fi monte cristo. Next comes memoirs, more prison.

Please recommend me interesting prison books. I am looking for something about prolonged periods of solitary confinement.

Faithful man vs. degenerate russian society

In addition, since I read it a long time ago and only remember vaguely the whole plot, the main character wants to get into a relationship with a woman who is a 'gold-digger' out of pity and need to change her. However, the woman, thinking she's too impure for him decided to have a orgy at a party to show who she really is. There rarely was any positive moments and its full of characters with their own troubles in pursuit of happiness, wealth, or honor.

House of the Dead is great. It's an outlier of Dostoevsky's works. You might also want to check out One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Solzehnitsyn too.

thanks user

Fifth down is Euripides Vol. I
The Choeporoe is in Greek so it'll be years before I read it

Came in the mail today. I have horrors of the dancing gods coming also to finish the set. That will take me to 32/55 chalker books.

It's okay bro, personally I think buying books that are still out of reach is a good encouragement to learning whatever you need to make them accessible. I've bought history and philosophy books that sat unread for months and years, always pestering me to get a move on.

>Mishima w przekładzie na ang?
Tak, bardzo dobrym swoją drogą.

Co tam czytasz anonie?

Where did you buy your 4th Edition Spivak? For some reason I can only find 3rd Editions.

Hamsun is a legit pick, you'll most definitely enjoy Hunger because any young man should/will be able to relate. I can recommend Hamsun's fairy tale-like tragedy Victoria as well.
Also, if you ever pick up an interest in the guy's biography, Thorkild Hansen's 3 volume work on Hamsun and his trial is a must. Hansen has been criticised for his sometimes less than professional research, but like in Hansen's work on the Danish slave trade it should be obvious that have a slight but definitely noticeable belletristic leaning, and so he takes some liberties. At the same time, he does/did research his books to a great extent and Processen mod Hamsun (1978) is no exception.

*that Hansen has a slight...

I like your coaster