Kinda went overboard on my trip to Barnes & Noble

Kinda went overboard on my trip to Barnes & Noble.

How much did all that horseshit cost?

Why do you punish yourself OP? What are you sins?

Burn everything except The art of the deal

That illustrated Brief History of Time itself is like $40. Jesus OP is there not a local used bookstore you can go to?

>buying used books
What kind of pleb are you?

>$40

And that's one book he could find almost anywhere, even at a shitty suburban library

What kind of pleb are you to care more about the price tag of a book than its contents? Get off of Veeky Forums with that bullshit.

Am I being baited by all these people pretending to be baited

I don't even buy paperbacks anymore unless a hardcover is expensive as fuck (eg. Gaddis) and no library near me has it (Finnfag). Otherwise they'll just stack up without ever getting read.

>buying stashes of books at Barnes and Fucking Noble
What the fuck is wrong with you?

nice meme.

Meanwhile. Here's the stuff I bought recently.

File: 2016-01-18

Interesting

I didn't find Kaufmann's Nietzsche book particularly that insightful. It often felt tedious. His excessive footnoting, attacking other scholars, came across as supercilious, cheap, and douchey. He also spends too much time talking about Hegel, Heine, Goethe and others to such an extent that its relevance to Nietzsche's thought seems tenuous and tangential, and thus superfluous. Plus from what I understand he whitewashes Nietzsche and because of this is academically disingenuous.

If you're looking just for contents, you might as well just download everything for free. The only reasons to buy a used book is if it's not available new or you're a disgusting poorfag. Judging by your reaction to $40 price tag you're the latter, so here goes: kay wye ess.

>buying more then one book ar once
The only excuse is to get free shipping online.

>paperbacks

>kinda went overboard
me too

wtf I'm a communist now.

This can't be real

It is. It's from a shelf thread a few days ago and the poster who bought all of those is some lesbian with no taste.

Do you even support trump, user? Those are some pretty communist choices.

I always go overboard when I hit Barnes n Noble. Last time I spent $60 getting A Room of One's Own, collected Hart Crane, and the Beckett trilogy.

i never want to see this again

The better one.

I don't like ordering online. It's too contrived, I prefer to find things unless there's a specific edition I need.

And he spent $1000+ on it too.

>spending money on things you like is bad

It is when you like bad things

>things that someone else doesn't like are bad
honestly kys

>It's too contrived
What do you think this means?

It's definitely less ugly and a better selection than the other one, but still...

>abebooks

nice..

>redditor mad we made fun of his ugly overpriced collection

>honestly kys

I'd insult you but you seem pathetic enough

>poorfag mad someone is actually able to afford beautiful things

>beautiful things
Phew, thought you weren't a troll for a while there.

you just ruined the act

But you didn't even make fun, you've just stated it's bad for no apparent reason?

>no apparent reason
to you

So why is it bad?

>why is it bad

HOLY SHIT you're a gift that keeps on giving

>someone has an opinion different to mine
>he must be a troll

Reverse bait, I like it.

post some pictures of good looking bookshelves and you will see for yourself.

I'm genuinely interested. Personally, I don't see anything wrong aside from slightly shit lettering, the overall design is fine in my opinion.

i'll bite
>not buying books that you actually plan on reading
>buying a huge backlog of books
>buying books because you think they look nice
>books are not uniform and clash in colour
>doesn't have a continuous look like everyman, loeb classic library, filled with haha look at me i'm covered with scissors books.
>accepting whatever translation the set gives you
>no cohesion of works, you let publisher decide what you read and possibly miss out
>you read a Russian work, decide you like it and want more, oh well time to read some jane austen
>buying six Charles dickens book without knowing if you like his works or not.
>age range of books varies wildly, alice and wonderland and communist manifesto
>not developing your library slowly but surely of books that you like and has been shaped by your own tastes.

desu I thought they were barnes and noble classics (which look tacky and gacky) but mainly I'm shitposting

>not buying books that you actually plan on reading
How do you deduce that from a picture?
>buying a huge backlog of books
Many publishers provide seasonal sales, so it sometimes makes sense financially to hold out and then buy in bulk.
>buying books because you think they look nice
There's zero reason to buy collector's hardcover if it doesn't look nice to you.
>books are not uniform and clash in colour
>doesn't have a continuous look
You shouldn't present your lack of taste as a factual argument.
>accepting whatever translation the set gives you
Again, how do you deduce that the owner is not satisfied with translations by the picture?
>no cohesion of works, you let publisher decide what you read and possibly miss out
Because if you have some books from one publisher you're forbidden by law to buy from another.
>buying six Charles dickens book without knowing if you like his works or not.
How do you know the owner didn't already read Dickens? I'm only buying hardcovers of works I've read and liked.
>age range of books varies wildly
Don't see how that's a problem.
>not developing your library slowly but surely of books that you like and has been shaped by your own tastes.
For the last time, I don't understand where do you get this information. There's nothing in that picture that would suggest the owner didn't just pick out the works he likes in the edition he likes. All of your critique is based on some groundless assumptions.

>There's nothing in that picture that would suggest the owner didn't just pick out the works he likes in the edition he likes. All of your critique is based on some groundless assumptions.
This picture was from a few days ago in a shelf thread. The guy said he just bought them all because he liked how they looked.

Well you could have just said that right away and not make me type all that shit out.

Your lack of self-awareness is disturbing.

>beautiful things

>reading fiction
>actually accomplishing anything

Pick one. You get negative points already for it all being bullshit pomo.

>accomplishments
>autistic projections
Are you the TS of "literature makes you weak" thread?

Why in the fuck would I buy new books? First of all old prints are almost always a lot more aesthetic looking and often times more expensive. Second of all, even if the print is recent but I can get the book for half the original price then who cares if it's used? Most of the time these books have never even been read, they were just gathering dust on some guy's shelf. Even if they were read, that makes it feel all the more special; to think that someone's eyes have glanced over the same printed letters.

>attempting to insult poorfags
You're a vain materialist who I would never want to be acquainted with. You're the type of individual who takes pride in the brand of clothes he wears and the price tag of his phone. I pity you.

>tfw you could actually afford new books if you spent more time working than coming up with excuses for buying used ones
>tfw everyone who earns good money is a disgusting vain materialist

Forced. It means forced.

I like to find books, not look for them.

>s/he's projecting again
You're making assumptions about me as an individual that conveniently make me fall into a category of people you don't like. I hope you learn what you're doing is juvenile. But you probably already know that and are just fishing for a reaction.

I'm not making assumptions I'm deducing based on what you write. I know predicate logic must be a subject unworthy of such a sensitive non-materialistic person as yourself, but you've gotta be able to understand the difference.

Where I live(long island somewhere in Nassau) there is no used bookstore and the thrift shops are in shitty areas where they get donations mostly from poor people so I gotta buy most of my books new.

lel this guy again

>reposting threads from 8+ months ago

>If you're looking just for contents, you might as well just download everything for free.

Ebooks aren't really books. I can understand why they might appeal to Generation App but some people have more patrician taste. If you want free shit go to the library, your tax dollars already support it - so get your money's worth.

>you're a disgusting poorfag. Judging by your reaction to $40 price tag

You don't become a richfag by spending $40 on stupid horseshit you could get for free. A penny saved is a penny earned.

>I want to read classics but I also want my bookshelf to look like I'm a 14 year old girls' who's into Harry Potter

>spend $1000 on books
>can't afford decent shelves

T-that Constitution though. I had to print out a copy last year and it was 3 or 4 sheets of paper.

>>to afford beautiful things

I just want to know why they bought those Halo books.

Is halo lore that good? I don't remember it being anything special in the video games. I can understand Star Wars novels and warhammer but this halo stuff has me confuddled bruh.

The way they do it with these books is usually by printing most of an artists work in one book. Like that Hemingway book there. So that constitution is most likely The Constitution, Declaration of Independence, Common Sense and The Federalist Papers

Good job going overboard, just make better choices next time OP.

what kind of world do we live in where people post threads boasting about how much of a consumer they are?

>How do you deduce that from a picture?
Have you ever bought books? Because I have quite a few and I don't just buy them because they look the same, and won't keep myself from buying a book because it looks different from the others

>Many publishers provide seasonal sales, so it sometimes makes sense financially to hold out and then buy in bulk.
Amazon provides daily seasonal sales and that sort of pretty edition of always-bought-but-never-read classic is always on

>There's zero reason to buy collector's hardcover if it doesn't look nice to you.
There's zero reason to buy a whole collection of books because they (sort of) look the same, no one buys ALL of Everyman or NYRB, they buy what interests them

>You shouldn't present your lack of taste as a factual argument.
I've already applied for my masters in aesthetics and these books look disugsting, even my comic book shelf is less invasive than that, it looks like something Hot Topic would sell

>Again, how do you deduce that the owner is not satisfied with translations by the picture?
Anyone who reads with a tad of seriousness should see how this sentence is fucking absurd

>Because if you have some books from one publisher you're forbidden by law to buy from another.
His point is the exact opposite.

>How do you know the owner didn't already read Dickens? I'm only buying hardcovers of works I've read and liked.
Because none of those books are the ones someone already familiar with Dickens would go to

>Don't see how that's a problem.
It is because he bought them all at once, instead of slowly collecting them during life like a normal reader would

>For the last time, I don't understand where do you get this information. There's nothing in that picture that would suggest the owner didn't just pick out the works he likes in the edition he likes. All of your critique is based on some groundless assumptions.
It's a "complete collection", he obviously didn't buy it for literary purposes

What's the equivalent of Barnes&Nobles in Canada? I'm in Toronto for a few weeks.

They should all be burned but the plastic fumes would probably give you brain damage.

Sad thing is, my local B&N just stacked a shitload of them in the bargain section with the rest of the coffee table books... nabbed it for $7.98. You sad fuck.

Jesus Christ, what an absolute faggot.
delet this.

Take it back.

prolly fists mallcop bulldykes.

Yes it is sad when books get remaindered. If it were a paperback it's cover would be torn off and it would be shipped back to the publisher for a discount. Imagine how humiliating that would be, to be stripped and abused in front of all the other books. Who knows what liberties the publisher's men take with the naked paperbacks before they're thrust head first into the pulping machine? The hardcovers don't fare much better: as a mark of their low status they have a brand of impermeable ink smeared across the bottom of their text block, then they're sold for a trifle. At least they get to keep their coverings, but nobody will ever let them forget The Black Line.

If it's bad to buy books because they look nice, why isn't it also bad to care about the colour clashing or uniformity of your collection?

Who the fuck are you?

burn everything except the forerunner trilogy
holy...

This one is at least nice to look at, user.

She's hot. Sauce?

>sauce
you seriously don't know who this is?

Aubrey Plaza

I knew it was the chick from the Scott Pilgrim movie.

>I need to post on the internet all the retarded stuff I do.

ok.

>Gray's on the same shelf as a bunch of fiction

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Please keep on posting this picture, it's so nice how everyones triggered so hard

>buying books
>buying new even when there are second hand copies
JUST