twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

FUCK WOMEN! DOWN WITH WOMEN!

PUNCH AND KICK WOMEN!

Try to guess what book it is Veeky Forums

lolita

fucking rekt

nope

Rand BTFO

these are the people who go "ya i've read the classics..some are good but really i prefer rupi kaur and jk rowling, books just need to be fun you know? old books dont have that"

my favorite book has no comments, which is cringy in and of itself

"The Trial" by Franz Kafka, It took this woman(?) a whole month to read this book. A whole month to read nearly 300 pages and she didn't "get it".

>orwell and shakespeare
>these two names belong together
is this the world we created

>mfw even on here people pull the "people only like it cause they can't understand it" meme just pointing out that they're too stupid to comprehend it.

I hate it that these people are allowed to use that one, and use it often, well..i didn't like it so everyone else does cause x reason, i must be the only one with a brain!

Not my favorite book but what the fuck is this

Not my favorite book but reading this REALLY flipped my pages.

''This is my first Houellebecq so I still give him the benefit of doubt. Even more so since it's only his debut novel. Poor writing and sexist. A critique of society, that supposed to be his main forte, is flat and banal. Yet another story about emptiness of corporate life and a guy that sees the point of life in "love". Love not meaning creating a partnership with a woman but simply fucking her. In the same time constantly whining how the only woman in his life that mattered was selfish and damaged by shallowness of modern relations, and basically was a bitch and a loose one.
Another antihero of modern literature? Ok I could take that but only if it wasn't so trivial.''

So pleb

>three wolves
>barely hilarious in 2014, the joke's dead now
is this satire

Gene, I'm sorry m8 but you have to retroactively change the stories you wrote in the 1970s to be less problematic. It's 2014, get with the program.

Manny is funny and lit af, son

>nobody ACTUALLY runs marathons
wtf

special mention to this, surely, wicked gentleman

oops

>Faggot trumptards think they can diss on Manny

this man is goodreads god, my dude, better stick to your league with histerical tumblrinas and normies on facebook

>Well... I really hate this book. Expecting something close to Die Leiden des jungen Werther, and with close to I mean just as beautiful, relatable and compelling, I was more than disappointed. I was frustrated, deeply and truly frustrated.
So part 1 was okay, like, it was readable and understandable. But part 2? It was just fucked up! Just when I thought I had finally understood what was going on, some choir of ants popped out of nowhere. It seemed as if Goethe just knew everybody adored him and he could get away with any piece of shit - excuse my language.

This person has bird brains. At least these other shitty reviewers in the thread read the books.

>Robert Frost represents all that's wrong with American literature. Frost did write some beautiful poetry about the weather, but it was overshadowed by cliches of American life and useless descriptions of rural New Hampshire.

I didn't like this book. I didn't hate it either. If I could have given it two and a half stars I would have. I liked the premise. Parts of it were interesting, and I think I got what he was doing with the work, but it just never gelled for me. Maybe if I had read it straight through without taking a bit of a break with reading a history book I might have enjoyed it more, but by about page 200 the whole book felt like work. For example I was on the bus, and I had the choice between reading this book or starting straight ahead at the darkness through the tinted windows only slightly broken up by passing street lights that illuminated almost nothing for me, and I choose the staring straight ahead after reading half a page. Reading doesn't usually feel like work to me, so that's got to say something. Maybe I was just in a staring mood that day.
Actually fuck it, any book that makes me want to stare at nothing rather than read it deserves two stars. I will not let myself be pushed around the opinions of people John Fuckdike who tell me the book is a late modernism masterpiece. This book is a failure, a good idea, and some interesting moments but overall the book never lives up to it's potential, and the reader (well that would be me), thinks Rabbit Updike is a fucking idiot, who once again sounds like a paid spokesperson for a book instead of an honest critic, or someone with an honest opinion. Ok? I've said it, I don't like this book and I don't like John Updike, and it wasn't until I started writing this review that I even noticed he had written the blurb on the back, and yes that might have given me the conviction to give this book two stars instead of three. Happy now Updike? Some insignificant asshole on the internet took a star away from a book you liked because his dislike of you overrode his feeling that a supposed classic couldn't just get two stars, and there must be some kind of failure on his part for not getting it. Now I know though that it's ok, I know you probably only liked it because there are lots of ass references and you're a dirty fucking pervert who has only been able to write anything by ripping off other people. Fuck you Updike!!!

I've recently reread it and was surprised how much I missed the first time I did it. It felt like it had a drop of all kinds of English literature from Beowulf up to the 19th. A great novel.

I'm sure the book was well written, but I really didn't like the narrator's view of the world and everyone around him. I found it to be such a cynical charicature of people, and I found the narrator's disgust throughout the book hard to bear. I forced myself to finish it, but I shouldn't have - in this displeased state of mine, I liked nothing in this book.

book?

Read in August 2014
Jonathan Lethem in his preface to this novel says that it can be read through affect theory or something to that effect. The keyword here is "affect" defined, according to Spinoza and later Deleuze, as body's capacity to act and be acted upon - relations the body can form with another bodies. McElroy's novel is an exercise in how to describe the relationality itself, and in such a way that doesn't introduce either hegelian concept or (post)structuralist binaries into thinking - "I didn't see how to bring Al and Bob together, and so was drawn to you, Dom, not necessarily because you fused Dialectic, Dichotomy, and Field-State, but because you tried." The relationality itself McElroy calls "field-state" - "I think in interrupted scenes, Dom, but there is only one scene here. It is here. It is an arc quite out of time and real not at like all those good and bad times and those bewildered distances that determine this arc. It is in a field-state, one might gaily say, which is not a proud parable of anything but is he fact of multiruptive bodies acting on each other though rarely in contact."

One of the ways he manages to put the relationality of multiruptive bodies is by taking the synchronic aspect of the time (which also makes for some tough reading experience) - "Into the regular arc of my legible but distinctive hand so many rates of time collapse: a month in a phrase, interruptions to raid the icebox or listen, a Fred-Eagled hour in three long pages, four summers in the one word 'quarry,' and now a nearly instant thirty-word response to thirty seconds. Collapse into paraphase."

I'm surprised that none (at least to my knowledge) of theoreticians of affect has picked up McElroy yet. Perhaps that will change as his novels become more accessible. He certainly deserves a through re-reading

i dont expect women to get this book tho, or bukowski.

and do people really laugh at this book? i love it, but i never really got more than a few chuckles throughout the thing.

are there any novels that really make you laugh out loud? (that is, lol)

Book was shit, I have no idea why its considered above sabbaths theater or american pastoral.

based Manny

Most of this would sound good if rapped.

>bukowski.

lol

>this man is goodreads god
his parents must be so proud

If you think women don't like Buk, you haven't talked to many girls, friendo. I wouldn't be surprised if more women like him than men.

As for Philip Roth, there were a handful of girls at my college that liked his books.

Wew

I agree.

Is this real life? Can you get more reddit than this review? Is this satire? Is this an ironic review with the goal of poking fun at pseudo-intellectuals? I think I need to lie down.

What booki s this?

>Dime-store?
>CHEAPLY, that's the word I'm looking for

Hey you're right!

What a rude reviewer >:(

atlas shrugged.

yeah shakespeare is nothing compared to orwell

Get on my level nerds

goodreads.com/review/list/52342748-indigo-blue?page=7&shelf=read

These threads make my blood boil. I honestly began feeling faint looking for a review to post.

>If I had a mental disorder, I'd kill myself
>:3c
If I could punch a person through the internet...

>2017
>being triggered

Coming from someone with 31105 books on her list.

this is true.
but com'on. telling someone on Veeky Forums to kill themselves is one thing, unironically posting a smiley-face on goodreads is something else.
also: NO YOU'RE A DORK

Newsflash: it's 2017.

She's not wrong on the show don't tell portion, though.

no no. i dont talk to many girls that read. i live in a hick town

>this man is goodreads god

Jesus, goodreads is garbage

Likely the dumbest Important Book that I've read.

Yeah, it's cool that the narrator thinks he's a werewolf, but is really just a recluse pseudo-academic--and then reads a manuscript that describes fake werewolves and outs them as poseurs.

Cool, also, that the preface, by the manuscript's fictional finder and publisher, records the impression that the horrors of the middle ages were non-existent: "A man of the Middle Ages would detest the whole mode of our present day life as something far more than horrible, far more than barbarous. [...] Human life is reduced to real suffering, to hell, only when two ages, two cultures and religions overlap" (22)--which strikes me as the rightwing way of describing the basic marxist principle that all that is solid melts into air.

Cool, further, that the book is written in the late 1920s and exposes all of the nasty jingoist, racist, reactionary bullshit that was the bizarre engine of history in the '30s and '40s--but written while Herr Beer Hall Putsch was banned from public speaking. It is therefore an oddly prescient volume when it describes respectable opinion in Germany as anti-semitic & anti-communist, as unwilling to blame itself for the world war, as loathing persons who express disapproval of the Kaiser and war-mongering, and so on (78-80). It manifestly names "the next holocaust" (117) as the fruits of same, joining R. Palme Dutt in making a horrible, horribly accurate prediction regarding German fascism.

Also presents an interesting attempt to read Goethe's Faust using the good doctor as a model for the Steppenwolf itself (60-63).

Nice moment of insult to the reader when the courtesan asks the narrator to explain what he had been reading, which was the Treatise on the Steppenwolf aforesaid: "Oh, Steppenwolf is magnificent! And are you the Steppenwolf? Is that meant for you?" (113) casting the reader of this volume into the role of the narrator fairly expressly.

Otherwise, though, I have the same reaction here as to Byron's Manfred, who also teeters at the edge of the precipice--my response: do us all a fucking favor and jump off the cliff on page 1; that way, we needn't read an entire volume of self-obsessed amphigory about suicide.

Doesn't help that the middle third of the volume is dominated by a bizarre love story involving several flappers/courtesans who pull the suicidal narrator away from the cliff by means of the terpsichorean arts (no shit!) as well as some hard fucking. The final third is dominated by drug-addled phantasmagoria, with silly appearances by Mozart and Goethe (though the science-fictiony war of man versus machines section is pregnant (180-90)).

Too much overt nietzschean influence. Too much use of the term bourgeois to refer to aesthetic matters, rather than economics. I can definitely see why all of the biggest English department douchebag undergraduates when I was at university wanted to write their BA thesis on this novel, nevermind that it's written in Deutsch, conceiving themselves as the steppenwolf rising above the herd, a true intellectual amid bourgeois banality, a proper aesthete among the declining arts of a spenglerian society, someone who really understands how shit is. It's a hipster manifesto, FFS.

Recommended for fake werewolves, bourgeois poseurs, and improbably named courtesans.
People are fucking retarded

His profile picture screams sood

filename

why do these people read when they understand nothing? how does one have the willpower to go through hundreds of pages without understanding anything that is written?

>why do these people live when they understand nothing? how does one have the willpower to go through a hundred years of life without understanding anything that they experience?
Really made me think mate.

I need to know what book she's talking about!

American Psycho

>Tfw feel when you're still on the first level of despair.

Lel I'm guessing it was actually a butthurt SJW who was infuriated that he didn't go so far as to call Trump a Nazi.

2016 Goodreads Reading Challenge
Participants: 3,051,709
Challenges Completed: 30,336

Adding books to their "to-read" list gives them the same sense of accomplishment as a collector buying a new trinket from eBay and adding it to his shelf.

Most people are simply not capable of "active" hobbies like reading or learning a skill.

This makes her even more stupid now that I think about it.

something by bukowsky?

If only we could ban anyone who leaves a 1 star review on a classic

a farewell to arms?

goodreads.com/review/show/1438326810

It's reviews like these that make me ashamed to like something.

>I got recommended this book by a friend I secretly want to bang

>Implying he isn't 100% correct

>as you know cardboard burns quickly
0% self aware

The Fountainhead

"hobbies" are bourgeois

>unironically posting a smiley-face on goodreads

If your favorite books has even one review on goodreads, you're a pleb.

What are your favourite books?

>having favourite books

ewwww

The central complaint in every bad review for The Magic Mountain is that nothing happens.

>A whole month to read nearly 300 pages and she didn't "get it".

To be fair, if you think you got a Kafka story after your first reading of it, it's more likely you didn't get it. There are like a million different interpretations of each sentence Kafka wrote.

>read 100 per year until finished
>900 pages
>7 years
well, that explains that.

Is this Pynchon larping as an angry femme?

Based Manny, so Veeky Forums

When I read Lucky Jim there were a few moments where I cracked up bigly.

The beginning of Fool (by Christopher Moore) made me laugh out loud. In public, even, and some people standing nearby looked at each other and talked about how they'd never read a book that made them laugh out loud.

Guy who posted this here. Sorry for the late response most of my posts get ignored. It's One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest