Applying abstract philosophy and out-of-touch ideals to everyday life and politics is just as autistic and cringey as...

Applying abstract philosophy and out-of-touch ideals to everyday life and politics is just as autistic and cringey as explaining away human behavior with science. If you take philosophy seriously there's a 90% chance it's at surface level you're an Ignatius.

The taoists knew this.

i didnt want to think this much today but those post really did it. they made me think

My god that is cringey. Why do these people have to ruin Nietzsche? Some people should be banned from reading him.

this fucking post

I agree with the philosophy and ideals part, but why would you think explaining human behavior with science is somehow bad?

gee, i wonder who pushed widespread literacy...

Because it could put an end to human suffering, which goes against the aesthetic ideals of some people.

>CantBeatTheNiet

>I have a degree in philosophy

Because "DUDE ITS JUST CHEMICALS BRO JUST CHEMICALS IN YOUR BRAIN BRO EVERY EMOTION THATS EVER AFFECTED YOUR LIFE IS JUST CHEMICALS BRO" is annoying as fuck and completely ignores the sublimity and mystery of the human mind and condition in favor of automatically mapping out why everything is or isn't, oftentimes doing it wrong too.

>sublimity and mystery of the human mind

What did he mean by this?

I think you'll find that actual scientists working in neurophysiology and psychology probably have a much more nuanced view of the mind-body problem than your simplistic strawman.

Also, science is not the same thing as biological determinism.

He meant
>I hate it when people openly have conversations about academic areas outside Veeky Forums because it triggers my sense of competitiveness and reminds me that I am not special just because I think I am smart

This is why I loathe modern psychiatry.
>If we could just find the right SSRI that will tweak your neurochemistry in such a way that your dopamine and serotonin blah blah blah
>No your depression has nothing to do with how you engage with the world, your relationships, your place in society, notions of purpose and meanings, etc. It's just the chemicals in your brain user!

No, they pretty much all unambiguously latch on to either Dennett's or Chalmers' position. Their work is pragmatic and mostly about establishing causal connections rather than explaining qualia. They're mostly happy to let philosophers have that one.

>my feelings transcend materialism for I am a special klowfake

>understanding underlying biological processes somehow impairs the study of human psyche
>understanding how dyes are produced and applied prevents you from admiring painting

>scientists studying physical aspects of human mind are mostly interested in physical aspects of human mind
>news at 11

Again, this is such a fucking strawman. Do you honestly thing that psychiatrists would EVER say that second "quote"?

Fuck off. The human organism is a blend of multiple factors all interellatedly impacting each other. Its about point of entry. Some people want to change their emotions first and see how that impacts the system, others change relationships, etc. Some people change their brain chemistry. Get the fuck over it, or move back to prehistory and get raped by a dinasoar.

>Man claiming lab monkeys have nuanced views on philosophy backtracks completely in the space of a single post
>Is this a new world record? (No)

Preparing to initiate get thread protocol.

>i have no idea about psychiatry the post
The meds are symptomatic treatment and you will always be referred to a therapist if the psychiatrist has reason to believe your illness has deep seated problems.

>77
madman

HAVE ANOTHER LOOK, user.

>they always want you to spend money in more than one way if they can convince you
who'd've thunk

I understand. I was merely hyperbolizing because I'm frustrated that I'm on multiple anti-depressants at astronomic dosages which have not seemed to be the least bit efficacious, while nonetheless being physically dependent on them. It just seems so banal to me that a lot of suffering, in terms of depression and anxiety, is largely contingent on the inner workings of brain chemistry. Perhaps it's just the fact I've seen bad psychiatrists who spend most of the session time giving me lectures in neuroscience. I'll get the fuck over it.

Yes, because when you see a professional, you actually pay the person who referred you to them for each session.

I'm not the guy you replied to before, and you need to dial down the "enlightened philosophical patrician against filthy stupid lab monkeys" angle if you want any sort of serious discussion and are not just here for the memes. Honestly it fucking boggles my mind that someone who claims to be so fucking advanced in understanding the finer aspects of thought can't grasp the simple idea, that a complex multi-tiered system that is a human mind can and should be studied on every available level with all the available methods and not just through a set of abstractions, arbitrarily chosen to spare your ego, since those are the terms of the only quasiscientific field, you're not completely incompetent in.

Don't be me wrong, user, there are definitely shit psychiatrists just as there are shit people in every profession.

I also would always encourage people to do psychological work and not rely purely on pharmacology. Those pills are meant to be for managing symptoms to the point where working on the lifestyle issues becomes actually possible. Although often this becomes even harder because psychological work can be stunted if meds block access to emotions or cognitive abilities.

Why do you assume I'm the guy you replied to before? Also, I can say lab monkey because I am one. It's our word(s).

>Although often this becomes even harder because psychological work can be stunted if meds block access to emotions or cognitive abilities.

This may be my problem. I often feel like a zombie, embodied nothingness.

>behaving like niggers
Absolutely disgusting.

I'd rather be a nigger than a STEMfag, but unfortunately the case is reversed.

>STEM
>he's in research

I'd have a conversation about that with your psychiatrist and a psychologist if I were you.

He probably wishes you were him.

I just wanted to make people live longer. Figured out too late that that's the opposite of what we need.

>he
>user
>psychiatrist
>him
>psychologist
>other user
Who? Huh?

>tfw biological weapons are haram
Do something else if you're that miserable now?

Yes.

>83

badman

My education was very expensive. Even if I had any other skills to pay the rent with, it would probably not be enough to stay on the good side of Johnny Fafsa. Maybe one day when I pay everything off and my parents are dead.

The him is a relation which relates himself to his own self, or he is that in the relation that the relation relates himself to his own self; the him is not the relation but that the relation relates himself to his own self.

>paying for education

>shitposting anti-science user reveals he's actually just butthurt that he's addicted to his meds

let me guess, American?

Yes I am American. Good guess user.

Have you seen the episode of the Sopranos where the up and coming member (Tony's neohew) is whinging about how he has to pay for the meals and drinks and cigars for the older, richer members? And eventually Tony tells him off for being a whingy faggot when he is being trained and paying his dues the same way they all did, to test his loyalty and dedication and just plain decent attitude, so that he didn't take his situation or his elders for granted?

It's a good one. Although, yeah, ideally the government should pay because the point of society is to help individuals reach their potential.

Muh anti-intellectualism is strong.

This
>well yeah, modern society is shit and global capitalism wants to reduce you to a slave, but that's not the issue, we need to prescribe you drugs instead of fixing the world
>it's not bad that rates of depression are soaring now
>it's not bad that the economy has gone to shit
>it's not bad that most people get shitfaced drunk on weekends to deal with the stress of modern life

Accepting and agreeing with a reductionist view doesn't mean you have to discount the "sublimity and mystery" of the world. In fact, I think it amplifies its beauty in a way, that ridiculously basic components can be used to bring about such complex systems.

tldr: remove the word "JUST" from the quote that you said was annoying as fuck. Maybe even replace "CHEMICALS" with something even more fundamental.

>The taoists knew this.
Caspere knew this